cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
thirl88
Contributor
Message 1 of 18

Forced To Renew Contract Well Before Due Time

I currently have BT Broadband unlimited, BT land line and free BT Sport on my Sky box.

Today I received a phone call from BT - 08001-691608 - telling me that I need to renew my contract with BT if I am to continue to receive free BT Sport on my Sky Satellite receiver.

I have no real problem with doing this as I intend to stay with BT and I want to continue to get BT Sport for free. However, after the call ended and I had accepted the contact renewal my wife reminded me that we last agreed to a new contract as recently as January (just 6 months ago). This was because I had to agree to a new 12 month contract to take the offer to pay my Line Rental in advance for a reduced price (which I did).

On top of this, I also had to agree to a new contract when I first started the free BT Sport option. This was in November of last year (8 months ago).

I’m wanting to know why BT have forced me into renewing my contract again now - well within 12 months of the previous TWO renewals? As I stated above I am staying with BT and have no problems with this, but the BT caller told me that if I did not renew for 12 months now, I’d lose BT Sport for free. He also made me accept all the usual contract rules (such as having to pay up in full if I cancel the contract etc). This is fair enough if your contract is really due to expire and really needs renewing but surely BT cannot keep forcing people to renew a 12 month contract every few months with the threat of losing a particular option or offer if you don’t renew?

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
billyflem
Contributor
Message 2 of 18

Re: Forced To Renew Contract Well Before Due Time

Had the same phone call but declined.

Renew for a further 12 months or pay £6.75,cancelled BT sport last week because I knew this was coming and would NEVER renew my BT contract as they are a bunch of liars and chancers and IF I were to stay would wait until close to the end of my contract and negotiate a better deal.

0 Ratings
Ectophile
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 18

@thirl88 wrote:

I’m wanting to know why BT have forced me into renewing my contract again now - well within 12 months of the previous TWO renewals? As I stated above I am staying with BT and have no problems with this, but the BT caller told me that if I did not renew for 12 months now, I’d lose BT Sport for free. He also made me accept all the usual contract rules (such as having to pay up in full if I cancel the contract etc). This is fair enough if your contract is really due to expire and really needs renewing but surely BT cannot keep forcing people to renew a 12 month contract every few months with the threat of losing a particular option or offer if you don’t renew?

Unfortunately, that's BT's offer http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/49325/c/6401,6611,6611

The BT Sport "season" runs from August to July.  To get BT Sport on TV free for the next season, you have to agree to a new 12 month contract to run alongside the sport.

If you don't want the 12 month contract, then you have to pay the standard price.

0 Ratings
thirl88
Contributor
Message 4 of 18

Thank you for that URL Ectophile. I did not know (or had not understood) what a "Season" was in connection with the contract. Mind you, one of the paragraphs on that page is a bit puzzling...

Quote from BT Sport Help File:

----

I've already renewed my contract this year, do I need to do anything?

No, you don't need to do anything. Just keep an eye out for an email or letter from us letting you know when you need to renew it again.

-----

BT have phoned me again this evening (same number on the caller ID) but I wasn't in at the time so I don't know what that was for. Twice in one day is a bit starnge though!

0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 18

Have a look at the BT Sport Terms and Conditions.

I agree with you about the Help Page not implying you necessarily need to renew in August. That's the way I intrepreted it. I also don't notice any reference to an August-July season in the terms and conditions. Paragraph 45 states the following. 

45. The full discounted rate for BT Sport will last for as long as you are within your minimum contract term on a BT Broadband contract. If you choose not to renew your BT broadband contract at the end of its minimum term you will lose the full discounted rate, but providing you keep your BT broadband, you'll start paying the loyalty discounted rate per month for the BT Sport Pack when your contract term expires.

I assume the full discounted rate is £0.00 and the loyalty discounted rate is £6.75 for those using Sky boxes. You were still within a BT broadband contract minimum term until January 2015 were you not?

0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 18

@thirl88 wrote:
This was because I had to agree to a new 12 month contract to take the offer to pay my Line Rental in advance for a reduced price (which I did).

I didn't think you needed to start a new (or renew) broadband and calls contract in order to make use of the Line Rental Saver. I thought any customer paying for a BT phone line could choose to pay a year in advance at the cheaper rate at any time regardless of whether they had any BT broadband contract and whether any such contract still had 12 months minimum term remaining or not.

In the past I have paid for a Line Rental Saver from month 25 of a Broadband+Calls+TV (24 month minimum term) contract. They didn't ask me to renew or change anything with that contract. Obviously I intended to continue with it for another 12 months, but I didn't have to officially commit to anything. 

0 Ratings
thirl88
Contributor
Message 7 of 18

Yes that's right, my (most recent) renewal started in January when I was forced to renew so that I could take the discounted line rental offer! When the line rental offer runs out in January 2015 I will be forced to renew the "12 month" BT contract agaiin even though it now does not expire until next July. And, no doubt, AGAIN next July iI'll be forced to start another "12 month" contact if BT Sport still has the free offer.

BT could easily keep this contract rewewal scam going endlessly if they decided to force a new contract on you for every option you take up... like caller ID or Privacy or call divert etc. They could start each option on a different month till you had one for every month on a never ending "renew or get stuffed" scheme.

0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 18

@thirl88 wrote:

Yes that's right, my (most recent) renewal started in January when I was forced to renew so that I could take the discounted line rental offer

That doesn't sound right to me either. See my post above.

0 Ratings
billyflem
Contributor
Message 9 of 18

I think it's shameful to force new contracts on customers with every change,I had the same problems when my LRS ran out,when they stopped free caller display and now BT sport requires a new year long contract.

I feel sorry for people who get mugged on the phone by these charlatans,BT know what they're doing when customers LRS,BT sport and broadband does not always line up,they could have you renewing your contract 3 times a year.

An utter disgrace.

davidmridge61
Expert
Message 10 of 18

Surely if you don't renew your calls and broadband contract, then it just continues on a month by month contract at standard (non-discounted) prices and you still get BT Sport for free.
0 Ratings