cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
thirl88
Contributor
Message 11 of 18

Re: Forced To Renew Contract Well Before Due Time

Surely... not! And don't call me Surely... Hmmm....

If you don't have a BT Broadband contract you pay the full price for BT Sport. Or... In other words (or the same ones in a different order) BT Sport for free is only available to BT Broadband contact holders.

I believe there is a discount available for "loyalty" to BT for existing customers but it is far from free. It's already been mentioned in this thread.

0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 12 of 18

@thirl88 wrote:

If you don't have a BT Broadband contract you pay the full price for BT Sport. Or... In other words (or the same ones in a different order) BT Sport for free is only available to BT Broadband contact holders. 

Yes, but it's a little more complicated. 

All BT broadband customers have a contract in place. Without a contract surely( Smiley Happy ) BT wouldn't be obliged to provide any services and wouldn't be authorised to take money out of a customer's bank account. 

If you read paragraph 45 again the key is whether or not you are still within the minimum term for that contract. In other words are you still tied-in to BT broadband with cancellation charges applicable if you cancel early? If not then you need to renew and start a new broadband minimum term in order to continue to get the fully discounted (£0.00) BT Sport. If you choose not to renew and continue on with just 30 days cancellation notice required you move onto the loyalty discounted rate (£6.75 for Sky boxes?). 

The confusion has arisen because now, say 6 months after a customer ordered the free BT Sport and started a fresh 12 month minimum term, BT are phoning them up and saying they need to renew again to continue to get free BT Sport. As far as I can see according to the terms and conditions they shouldn't need to do this until the full 12 months minimum term has been completed?

If I was the sceptical type I might wonder why they only seem to be contacting Sky box customers around the time that Sky have introduced very attractive broadband offers to Sky Sports TV customers. No ... , must just be a coincidence.

0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 13 of 18

Note that it is perfectly correct for BT to contact Sky box customers who have completed or are about to complete their broadband minimum term. They should need to renew in order to continue to get the fully discounted BT Sport at £0.00.

Things are a bit more confusing as the web site has stated that BT TV customers don't even need to renew their broadband at all to continue to get BT Sport at £0.00, regardless of any contract minimum term status.

http://www.broadband.bt.com/espresso/4_generic/

0 Ratings
Andrew600
Contributor
Message 14 of 18

The way it was explained to me was that if I waited for my contract to expire (December) the free BT sport option might not be available. Sounds unlikely to me and smacks of desperation, though I don't see how giving it away is a long term option for BT.

I have to say that for me I'm happy to pay £3 for the HD option, but I won't pay any more unless the content improves significantly. There are not enough Premier League football matches that are "must see".

Unlike Sky Sports, BT sport is something I can live without so far.

The Sky broadband offer is not available here anyway, so if it was a ploy to stop me switching, it was pointless.

0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 15 of 18

@Andrew600 wrote:

The way it was explained to me was that if I waited for my contract to expire (December) the free BT sport option might not be available. Sounds unlikely to me and smacks of desperation, though I don't see how giving it away is a long term option for BT.

Are you on any other discounts currently? I hope BT made it clear to you that they will still end when originaly planned and are not extended for the full new 12 months minimum term if you renew now.

On a similar point. The terms and conditions do actually state that BT can change the BT Sport rates for all of us at any time, but will give 40 days notice and also give customers the option to cancel. So as I see it, renewing your broadband at any time should put you on the full discounted rate for another 12 months, but doesn't guarantee that rate will stay at £0.00 (or any other particular value) throughout those 12 months. Others might interpret things differently. Most people predict that BT willl raise the full discounted rate from Aug 2015, but who knows?

0 Ratings
billyflem
Contributor
Message 16 of 18

Decided no point in moaning about BT's underhand tactics to keep cutomers and just vote with my feet.

Called BT for my MAC although I have 5 months left in my contract it's time to go,will gladly pay the early termination fee.

Plusnet has some cracking deals on their fiber bb and just could not resist,the best I was offered whilst on the phone was £2 off my broadband deal lol

Had to laugh was offering me an inferior product at double the price 5.5 mb now and with plusnet 38mb,not that I would stay even if they offered to match it,also £105 cashback through Quidco..........happy bunnySmiley Very Happy

Goodbye BT 

0 Ratings
Andrew600
Contributor
Message 17 of 18

@umpire wrote:

@Andrew600 wrote:

Are you on any other discounts currently? I hope BT made it clear to you that they will still end when originaly planned and are not extended for the full new 12 months minimum term if you renew now.

On a similar point. The terms and conditions do actually state that BT can change the BT Sport rates for all of us at any time, but will give 40 days notice and also give customers the option to cancel. So as I see it, renewing your broadband at any time should put you on the full discounted rate for another 12 months, but doesn't guarantee that rate will stay at £0.00 (or any other particular value) throughout those 12 months. Others might interpret things differently. Most people predict that BT willl raise the full discounted rate from Aug 2015, but who knows?

No I'm not getting any discounts, so the subject never came up. I had other things on my mind at the last renewal and didnt negotiate.

If they want to start charging me for BT sport from August 2015 thats fine. I'll decide if it is worth it then.

However if they try to charge me within newly arranged 12 months having said it will be free, they will lose a customer very rapidly.

0 Ratings
davidmridge61
Expert
Message 18 of 18

Most footy fans signed up to free BT Sport from 1st August 2013 and so their broadband and calls contract ends on 31st July hence the phone calls from BT Sport about broadband contract renewals to ensure continuation of 'free' BT Sport. I have had 2 phone calls. The bizarre thing is that the personnel ringing have no access to your current broadband contract pricing and discounts etc so why would you automatically renewal your broadband cantract when they cannot confirm the pricing!
0 Ratings