cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Scottyboy99
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 7

Forced to change password 2 days in a row now

I'm a little concerned. Yesterday early morning I switch on my PC, go into outlook and my email password won't work. Baffled, l log into mail via a browser session (I am on the non migrated yahoo). This gives me the screen saying bt wants me to change passwords possibly due to too many failed log in attempts etc etc (that's false for a start!). I obediently do this and go round all my devices and computers which is pretty inconvenient. Eventually get it all done and all seems fine. Devices and computer email clients all happy. But then today late afternoon whilst at work I login to my email using the browser method and get by the exact same frustrating screen forcing me to change my password again! So now I've got to update everything again which is pretty farcical. Why is this happening? I now worry I am going to get met with this chore on a daily basis seeing as it's happened two days in a row now. I have done nothing to warrant this going on so wonder why the trigger.
0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Forced to change password 2 days in a row now

The annoying thing is its happening [randomly] to a lot of us on here - including me.

The nearest explanation I've had from the BR mail techies ref "why is it happening" is that they and no-one else knows but

it might be an SSL issue with the Yahoo/new BT mail servers.

Annoying as many of us know.Smiley Sad

AQ.
"Welcome to Royston Vasey - You'll never leave."

0 Ratings
Scottyboy99
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 7

Ok thank you, that is immensely frustrating. The amount of work a mere password change forces is frustrating ! Not really good enough on the tech side to say they are not sure why it's happening and allude to a vague idea. Needs to be resolved

I appreciate your response to bring me upto speed, guess I'll just have to go home and do everything over again
0 Ratings
Scottyboy99
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 7

Is it worth steering clear of using bt.com and clicking email when trying to log in via a browser? Instead using yahoo.com and selecting email from there? I've been trying to log at other issues raised in the forum and this was touted as a possible workaround (although no guarantees)
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Sadly, for my own part [and others may be able to add to this] all I can tell you that we have had all manner of sign in protocols and landing pages on this forum to get around this issue.

Some work, sometimes, and then not.

If it is an external issue, ie SSL issue on the servers, it is beyond all [customers] reach or ken.  All we can really do is keep a beady eye on what works for us now  and not venture to look beyond that or seek explanation. 

Personally I use Firefox and Chrome with different sign in landing pages on both, run CCleaner on the PC and quite simply hope for the best.  I never sign in directly from bt.com but cut and paste the landing pages into my bookmarks.  What I have done is forward all bt mail to the gmail account and read them there if btmail is kicking off for me.

For further information I use a mail client anyway to read bt mail [Thunderbird].  Other I had to watch for is that some mail from friends was sent straight to Spam [on btmail] or Bulk on Thunderbird.

Sooner we are all migrated to the new BT in-house mail the better so this basic functioanlity of the Internet can be fully restored and operational. Its 3 years overdue, and no-one knows why that is the case either.

Hope that makes sense, if it helps its a bonus and I'm happy that it does........................

AQ.
"Welcome to Royston Vasey - You'll never leave."

0 Ratings
Scottyboy99
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 7

Ok thank you. It sounds like experimentation is the key and then as you suggested sticking with a method. I'm going to keep my eye on it. I think trying to log in through the browser may of been the trigger for me. Well on today's issue at least. My iOS device had been happily received pushed emails all day until the browser login attempt. Trouble is at my work we are in the basement floor and the mobile signal is iffy so that's why I used the browser login method. Unfortunately we can't use our personal email on email clients. But I have logged in this way many, many times before without ever having an issue. But I will try to use yahoo.com as my login route rather than bt.com going forward and see how that goes.

I agree the migration will hopefully make things more reliable. But I wonder if it will ever happen, it's been stalled for what seems like years. Unfortunately the one thing I don't like about being migrated (if it happens) is the loss of push email to my iOS devices as it seems bt mail doesn't support it. Also no dedicated app for bt mail. I use the yahoo mail app for its notification feature on my phone - I have the Apple Watch and whilst I like being alerted to emails on the watch I don't want it pinging a sound for them. So by having a dedicated yahoo app it means I can turn off the native mail notifications to my watch and rely on the yahoo app to forward them (which it does quietly). The phone will still ping for the native app but it's in my jacket pocket and much quieter so only I can hear it as opposed to the whole office! So there is a mixed desire from me towards migration! Sorry that's way off topic. Anyway I'll report back if a method consistently works. I'm hoping just by logging in via yahoo.com and then out again may of steadied the ship. As earlier my email client on my home PC moaned about password rejection. Rather than go in via bt.com which I'm sure would of come up with the change password screen I tried yahoo.com, it logged straight in. After that I went back into outlook and the email check cycled without issue. Here's hoping
0 Ratings
Scottyboy99
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 7

Happened again today! Tried to use outlook on PC to download emails and password rejected. However, rather than go through the arduous process of changing password I used my browser to login to yahoo.com and signed into my email that way. This worked fine and seemed to fix the outlook issue. So that's the temp fix, at least for me, but how long it holds is anyone's guess. Really sub standard showing from the boys at BT over this

0 Ratings