cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ryanwilliams84
Beginner
Message 1 of 42

Formal Complaints - Ombudsman Services

Having had 5 months of no internet, countless failed engineers, failed call backs, i spend a minimum of 2 hours a day on the phone for the last month. BT are still no closer to resolving my issue. Being passed from department to department. i am now being told i can’t cancel my contract without paying £350 for breach of contract.

I have called complaints department every day and they say the lady who is dealing with my request (Lynn Bailey) will call be back before 5pm…. This is ongoing….

I have a transcript of all calls made over the last several months noting times and failed promises. Its clear that countless mistakes by BT they have no real complaints department.

Has anyone ever used the Ombudsman Services to escalate a complaint? What is the time line and process for doing this?

Ryan

0 Ratings
41 REPLIES 41
CraigS
Moderator-Retired
Message 2 of 42

Re: Formal Complaints - Ombudsman Services

Hi ryanwilliams84

Welcome to the forums.

I am really sorry that you have had so much trouble with BT.  I'll be happy to get involved and get this sorted out for you.

Could you drop me in an email please? Use the 'contact us' form in my forum profile under the 'about me' section. You can find it by clicking on my username.

Thx

Craig

BTCare Community Mod

If we have asked you to email us with your details, please make sure you are logged in to the forum, otherwise you will not be able to see our ‘Contact Us’ link within our profiles.

We are sorry but we are unable to deal with service/account queries via the private message(PM) function so please don't PM your account info, we need to deal with this via our email account :-)”
td-p/30">Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.

If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
redtela
Contributor
Message 3 of 42

I've not involved the ombudsman with a complaint about BT (yet), but you may find the information on this page useful: http://www.ofcom.org.uk/contact-us/

Obviously, as a moderator here has volunteered to take on your case, you should probably give them a chance. Entirely your call if you also go the route of ombudsman and moderator.

To clarify the complaints proceedure (and please note, I don't work for anyone in the telecomms industry, I'm just another customer):

- Customer must raise fault.

- Customer must raise complaint with supplier.

- Customer must raise a formal complaint (distinct from a "regular" complaint - specific process to be followed). BT formal complaints process: www.btplc.com/Thegroup/RegulatoryandPublicaffairs/Codeofpractice/CustomerComplaintsCode/index.htm

- Customer must request a "deadlock letter" from the supplier. Deadlock cannot be requested until at least 8 weeks have elapsed from the formal complaint being raised. Supplier must provide deadlock letter within 28 working days.

- Once in receipt of the "deadlock letter", customer can involve the ombudsman - in the case of BT, this is OS:C.

OS:C will accept the "deadlock letter" - with your cover letter explaining the reason for involving them, at the below address:

Ombudsman Services: Communications
PO Box 730
Warrington
WA4 6WU

Without a "deadlock letter" OS:C will not get involved, unless you can provide evidence of a formal complaint, and the supplier not providing the requested letter within the timescales allowed.

0 Ratings
runamonk
Contributor
Message 4 of 42

The ombudsman is fast. You'll need to put everything in writing and include copies of everything you have to them. You'll see a fairly quick turn around. Just keep your cool, be calm and clear and they will get it all sorted out.
0 Ratings
Helios
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 42

As redtela already mentioned the ombudsmen will only take on the case if you have gone into deadlock with BT.
0 Ratings
Lisaworcester
Beginner
Message 6 of 42

I have used the ombudsman service, however my experiance was not positive.  An email I received from BT said I had agreed to a 12 month contract for my line rental and the ombudsman are satisified that this sentence mean I had agreed to a 12 month contract on my TV services and my Broadband services too!!!!!!!  I felt they were unhelpful and bias

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 42

@Lisaworcester wrote:

I have used the ombudsman service, however my experiance was not positive.  An email I received from BT said I had agreed to a 12 month contract for my line rental and the ombudsman are satisified that this sentence mean I had agreed to a 12 month contract on my TV services and my Broadband services too!!!!!!!  I felt they were unhelpful and bias

In other words they didn't agree with you. It is not automatic that complaining to the ombudsman means that the ISPs are at fault. The whole point of the ombudsman is to be impartial and look at the complaint and come to a fair decision regardless of who it favours. Obviously if they don't agree with you this could give you the impression that they are unhelpful and bias. If they had agreed with you, I wonder if you would have said that?

0 Ratings
pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 42

Spot on, gg, modern society has come to believe that it's always someone else's fault, no exceptions.

The best thing about being a grumpy old man is that grumpy old men are nearly always right.Smiley Very Happy

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Lisaworcester
Beginner
Message 9 of 42

I am sorry but you are wrong about me and you are wrong about the situation but that is your opinion, the forum asked for any experiance with ombudsman and this is mine,  the ombudsman is paid by BT so I can see it must be hard for them to remain inpartial.  However they did agree in the end but I did not find them helpful at all.  They have negotiated a remedy which BT had 28 days to impliment that 28 days was up over three weeks ago and yet still I have no service.  Having called them to find out what happenes next I have been told, nothing really and that they cannot make BT comply within the timescales.  I expected them to report to OFCOM but if that happens then I am not informed, I just have to sit here and wait for somethiung to happen.  I am being forced to consider SKY.....  So in answer to the forum question, it is my experiance that the Ombudsman was not very helpful at all. 

0 Ratings
heatherloz
Beginner
Message 10 of 42

Not sure if I'm in the right place, but I've just received a bill from BT, normally £80 a month but this month it's £1200!  Apparently BT have been charging us for only one Feature line since 2010 rahter than 2 lines, no idea why, and we had no idea this was the case.  They are back-dating it from 2013 because it's their mistake.  There was no letter to advise this.  I called BT billing and they said even though it's their error, they'll reduce the bill by 50% and that's it. 

Can I get some assistance on this please.  We're a small business, and if we make a mistake we don't go back to our clients and say sorry, we forgot to charge you so we're backdating what you owe us.  We'd lose business.  It just seems wrong on all levels.  Can somebody advise please?

0 Ratings