Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
largestherb
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 22

Free Home Hub upgrade?

Go to solution

Hi there, we've been with BT for a couple years now. Got upgraded to a Home Hub 4 (Type A) with an Open Reach modem a long while ago.. but now that Open Reach modem is starting to take up space, a plug socket, and adding to the spaghetti junction of cables going on.

I know the Home Hub 5 has the modem built in, but when clicking "upgrade your home hub" on the BT site it only offers the new Smart Hub for £65.

Is there no way to get a free upgrade at all? The HH5 would be fine.. but if push comes to shove we are out of contract.. just feels silly to have to cancel our account and sign up using someone else in the house's name just to get a new free router..

Tried using live chat to ask about this, was told we had to be forwarded to another department, queued for an hour before mysteriously the queue just got cancelled (I guess it was quittin' time).

Will try live chat again tomorrow, but am posting here in case anyone else has the answers and solutions!

Thanks!

0 Ratings
21 REPLIES 21
DavidM
Message 2 of 22

Re: Free Home Hub upgrade?

Go to solution

Hi @largestherb and thanks for posting.

Your best bet would be to contact the customer option team on 0800 800 030 and renegotiate a new contract which would include a new smart hub. Can you try that and let me know how it goes?

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 22

Go to solution

As @DavidM has replied, I have deleted my post.

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 4 of 22

Go to solution
Out of curiosity, and not suggesting this, but what would happen if a person disconnected their HH4, called up BT and told them it would not turn on?

I'm assuming they would send out a replacement, and I doubt they have a stock of HH4s...
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 22

Go to solution

Unless you re-contracted, they would do nothing, or sell you a replacement. Why should an ISP send you a free router only for you to move to another ISP tomorrow? Once out of contract, the router is yours and no longer the responsibility of the ISP.

pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 22

Go to solution

Why would BT provide a free replacement? A home hub provided as part of a broadband deal is not a loan and the equipment becomes the customers property once the contract conditions have been fulfilled, with no more rights than if they had bought it at the outset.

EDIT:  Apologies for the duplication; licquorice must be a faster typist than me!

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
largestherb
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 22

Go to solution

"Why would BT provide a free replacement?"

Loyalty counts for nothing these days, I suppose. As I said, would be happy with a HH5 (which is surely now considered obsolete stock with the new Smart Hub?)

Anyway, yeah I suppose I'll try and get ahold of the retention branch of customer service. Just feels silly that they don't offer this as a good will gesture until you threaten to take your business elsewhere..

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 22

Go to solution

Couple of things. Unfortunately loyalty doesn't count with any company these days. As I said previously, why would a company send you a router without ensuring they don't recoup the cost. For all they know, you intend changing ISP tomorrow and selling the router on Ebay. I'm not for a moment suggesting you would do that, but they don't know it.

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 9 of 22

Go to solution
You're assuming in my hypothetical scenario that the customer is out of contract? Is that even possible?

Ok let's say the customer is 6 months into a 12 month contract and their HH4 breaks. BT would send out a replacement, right?
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 22

Go to solution

The OP stated that they were out of contract. If 6 months into a contract, then yes a replacement would be sent.

0 Ratings