cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor
Message 11 of 22

Re: Free Home Hub upgrade?

Go to solution

Incidentally I recontracted in February and was not offered or sent a new Hub.

Not that I would want it given all the reported problems!

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 22

Go to solution

Generally speaking, you do not get a new Homehub when you renew your contract unless you ask for one at the time of renewing the contract.

If your hub goes faulty while in contract it will be replaced with the same model of hub free of charge.

If your hub goes faulty and you are not in a minimum term contract you will not be given a replacement hub. You will either need to pay for one or sign up to a new minimum term contract in which case you would be sent one free but may have to pay for the postage.

0 Ratings
pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 13 of 22

Go to solution

@018125 wrote:
You're assuming in my hypothetical scenario that the customer is out of contract? Is that even possible?

Ok let's say the customer is 6 months into a 12 month contract and their HH4 breaks. BT would send out a replacement, right?

Yes, but the HH4 was superseded 3½ years ago, so it's reasonable to assume that anyone still using it (like me) is now the owner and the guarantee which applied during the initial minimum term has expired.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
largestherb
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 22

Go to solution

managed to get someone on the live chat today that was happy to speak to their manager and help. a free smart hub is in the post and on its way 🙂

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 22

Go to solution

You should make sure that you have not been re-contracted for another 12 months in order to get your "free" Smarthub.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 22

Go to solution

@largestherb wrote:

managed to get someone on the live chat today that was happy to speak to their manager and help. a free smart hub is in the post and on its way 🙂

I wouldn't send the HH4 and modem back in a hurry if I were you!

gspearson
Expert
Message 17 of 22

Go to solution

My last HH supplied by BT was a HH3 with the Openreach modem - which has worked perfectly.  I have since bought a HH4 and a HH5 at very low prices from a well-known on-line auction site.  I tried the HH5 without the modem and got lower speeds than my old/current arrangement (today 66/18).  So I still use the modem and the HH5 for the 5GHz wifi.  I'm not sure what joys the HH6 would bring.

0 Ratings
DorsetWeevil
Contributor
Message 18 of 22

Go to solution

Some interesting comments here.  Just for the record, I was originally given a (not very effective) BT router back in 2012 when I was first sold Infinity 2.  Throughout the intervening years, I have 'signed up' or 'been signed up' to various renewals with BT which have seen the price rise considerably and the speed never even reach Infinity 1 levels, despite what I was told when I originally signed-up. No one was interested in 'downgrading' me to Option 1 (despite many, many calls and online 'chats') and I have never received an updated hub in the intervening years despite various 12-month agreements.

In short, I have spent money on my own, better router but not received anything from BT.  Last week, after seeing some very tempting deals for new BT customers, and being 'out of contract' I again went through the rigmarole of contacting them to see what they could do for me.  Unfortunately the answer was 'not much'.  They wouldn't take me off Infinity 2 despite my speeds being beneath Infinity 1 levels for all these years.  No router. They did offer a very slight reduction in cost, but still very expensive when compared to anything a new customer gets, so I have decided to go elsewhere for my internet.  Shame really as the service itself was steady/reliable.

Moral of the story - provision of internet is now like gas and electricity... if you don't change every year, you are taken for a ride, or at least played for a fool. At least that's how I feel.

Maybe if I had been given updated equipment when I re-contracted, or allowed to downgrade to, or pay for the service that I was actually getting things would have been different.  Would I return to BT?  Maybe for the right price if my new providor let's me down, but it is definately not worth 'staying' once you're out of contract.

0 Ratings
pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 19 of 22

Go to solution

DorsetWeevil wrote:  it is definately not worth 'staying' once you're out of contract ...

... and the same is likely to apply once the introductory minimum period with your new provider is up. There clearly are potential advantages in switching regularly but each switch gives them the opportunity to botch the process. To me, that risk is not worth saving the price of a bottle or two of Lidl's finest every few weeks. Planned inertia.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 20 of 22

Go to solution

@DorsetWeevil wrote:

Maybe if I had been given updated equipment when I re-contracted, or allowed to downgrade to, or pay for the service that I was actually getting things would have been different.  Would I return to BT?  Maybe for the right price if my new providor let's me down, but it is definately not worth 'staying' once you're out of contract.

I do not see how BT could stop you from taking out a new contract for Infinity 1 instead of Infinity 2. If your contract had ended there would be no penalty fees due and no reason not to "downgrade".

It should have been a simple process to start a new contract on Infinity 1. You obviously would not have been given the same deals as a new customer but you could have negotiated a new Smarthub, although I wouldn't have one even it it was free.

0 Ratings