cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gloryb
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Free web hosting?

Hi everyone - I have read several of the help pages and searched all over for information on free space with BT and can't find a thing to help me. Some of you say it is free but I don't know how to access it. I have followed links and have been told that it is no longer free and it then directs me to the £5 a month using BT's web design software. We moved from Tiscali and I had a web site set up with the free space provided by them. Now I have a domain name and web pages but  no where to send them. I don't want to have to pay or to re-create the pages - life is too short. We have phone and broadband with BT - can anyone advise? Gloryb

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 7

Re: Free web hosting?

@Gloryb wrote:

Hi everyone - I have read several of the help pages and searched all over for information on free space with BT and can't find a thing to help me. Some of you say it is free but I don't know how to access it. I have followed links and have been told that it is no longer free and it then directs me to the £5 a month using BT's web design software. We moved from Tiscali and I had a web site set up with the free space provided by them. Now I have a domain name and web pages but  no where to send them. I don't want to have to pay or to re-create the pages - life is too short. We have phone and broadband with BT - can anyone advise? Gloryb

Hi Gloryb

Have a look at my shortcuts, option 10. This gives full details with respect to the webspace.

If you get stuck, email via that specific shortcut with any problems - or you can drop a question back here.

0 Ratings
Gloryb
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

Thanks - but I've already looked at that and it took me to a pdf about BT Web Hosting - quick start. I don't need to create a web site as I have one already set up in Front Page. I have a domain name through 123 and I had it forwarded to our Tiscali free space. All I want to do is the same if possible. If I have missed something on your link then please let me know. I'll have another look after I've sent this reply. Any help would be gratefully received however. Ta Gloryb.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 7

@Gloryb wrote:

Thanks - but I've already looked at that and it took me to a pdf about BT Web Hosting - quick start. I don't need to create a web site as I have one already set up in Front Page. I have a domain name through 123 and I had it forwarded to our Tiscali free space. All I want to do is the same if possible. If I have missed something on your link then please let me know. I'll have another look after I've sent this reply. Any help would be gratefully received however. Ta Gloryb.

A pdf file ?

My link doesn't do that ! To be frank, my page is probably the best place for details about BTinternet webspace and how to get at it. Make sure you've gone to option 10 of my shortcuts.

BTinternet webspace doesn't support Front Page extensions (if you were using any), but basic hosting is fine.

All you need to do is alter the forwarding to BTinternet webspace, much like you do now to the Tiscali webspace. Obviously, you need to build your site onto btinternet webspace first Smiley Happy

My shortcuts do exactly what you are wishing to achieve as it happens Smiley Very Happy

0 Ratings
Pasha_Selim
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 7

@Andy_N wrote:

@Gloryb wrote:

A pdf file ?

My link doesn't do that ! To be frank, my page is probably the best place for details about BTinternet webspace and how to get at it.

I'll vouch for that Smiley Happy You're in very good hands Gloryb. If Andy can't help you find the old BT free webspace then nobody can.

-- -.-- / ... .. --.
Value Added Guest (Inspiring Not Aspiring)
Rate a post if you like it! - just click the star under the user's name on the left. (N.B. ratings facility no longer available in Forum Help and Suggestions; nor is it available in the Lounge)

0 Ratings
Pasha_Selim
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 7

@Gloryb wrote:

Hi everyone - I have read several of the help pages and searched all over for information on free space with BT and can't find a thing to help me................Now I have a domain name and web pages but  no where to send them. I don't want to have to pay or to re-create the pages - life is too short. We have phone and broadband with BT - can anyone advise? Gloryb

I just read more carefully. It looks like you're trying to find some free BT hosting for your own domain name (e.g. www . Gloryb DOT com). I don't think you can do that for free with BT Smiley Sad

I'm pretty certain that the only way you can use the free legacy BT webspace is if you use the btinternet domain name format that Andy explains on his shortcuts pages.

(Thinks... the sort of thread that would sit nicely on a nice new forum area called "Web page design and hosting" Smiley Wink  )

-- -.-- / ... .. --.
Value Added Guest (Inspiring Not Aspiring)
Rate a post if you like it! - just click the star under the user's name on the left. (N.B. ratings facility no longer available in Forum Help and Suggestions; nor is it available in the Lounge)

0 Ratings
peterwt
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 7

Hi Gloryb,

You had your website in Tiscali free webspace. You then had a domain name with 123 which forwarded to your Tiscali site.

You can do the same with your free BT webspace. Upload your website to your free BT webspace and get 123 to point to it.

Be aware that the BT free webspace is basic and does not support MS Frontpage Extensions. You will need to use a FTP program to upload to your BT webspace. The the host name for BT FTP is ftp.btinternet.com and the username is the first part of your btinternet email address.

Peter

Peter
0 Ratings