Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Guru
Message 11 of 44

Re: Freeview retune has lost BTSport 1 & 2 on BT Vision box

@KFCSpike wrote:

danstuartrob,

My understanding is that if you can see channels 507, 508 and 509 then you have been set up for multicast (possibly incorrectly!) so 58 and 59 are removed from the list.

I had similar symtpoms with broadband errors trying to view them at first - I upgraded my old (v2?) hub to a HH4 and it all started working.

I'm no expert but it seems that, in some cases (mine for example), the sport channels are provided over multicast even on non-infinity lines.

That is correct.

Most Infinity customers and a few ADSL customers will receive the sports channels as multicast broadband channels. In this situation BT install a different version of the software on the box. This version hides encrypted over-the-air channels and shows the extra multicast channels. It doesn't access the viewing card slot and hence doesn't require a viewing card.

To see if you have been moved onto the multicast software have a look at the following.

Help & Settings > Settings > System Information > Middleware Version

If it contains the word 'multicast' then guess what, you are running the multicast version.

If you think BT have mistakenly installed the multicast software on your box then you can't just turn it off. You would need to get BT to reinstall the standard software. But first you need to ask whether BT have done this intentionally because they think you can get the multicast channels. That is their preferred delivery method and means you also get ESPN.

0 Ratings
danstuartrobb
Contributor
Message 12 of 44

OK

Checked the System Info and yes it states "multicast build" so I am supposed to get them on chnls 507-509.
When I go to any of the chnls I just get a black screen with the msg "problems with your broadband have interrupted your viewing, press help to troubleshoot" when I go to help to troubleshoot it asks me to restart the hub and then after selecting "next" it reboots the vision box but problem still exists when it restarts.

So, can I assume it is not going to stream sports over my BB on chnls 507-509 and call them to have it changed back to coming thru the tv aerial or is this a fault or set-up issue that can be fixed and if so who should I call ?

0 Ratings
danstuartrobb
Contributor
Message 13 of 44

Oh Joy, I just love having to call BT !!!!!

Tech helpdesk confirms that it was decided to set it up to stream on my BB instead of coming thru the tv aerial ! It won't work cause my BB connection is not good enough.
Advised to call BT sport on 0800 800 801 opt 1 and ask them to change the set up so that it comes on aerial but the guy I spoke to has not got a clue and decided the best thing was to just cancel it and then I have to call back or re-order it again online after Monday !!!!!
Even after doing this what's the chance they will try to set it up the same way again as it was and not working?
Watch this space !
0 Ratings
joeuk2000
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 44

Re: Freeview retune has lost BTSport 1 & 2 on BT Vison box

Same situation as danstuartrob.... Mine also stated multicast and having the same issues.

I have slow broadband, 3 meg and there are no plans to install infinity at my exchange.

I also need to keep my home hub 2 as I have 3 hub phones around the house.

I never saw the "Card activated" message on the screen, I was told it can take upto an hour so presumed it did it... I also activated the card online just to make sure, but understand now that the software in the machine is not looking for the card as its assuming multicast.

I just hope for BTs sake there aren't many paying customers in my area with this issue or I'd be really brassed off!

So it looks like I need a old software update for my box so it looks at the card and decides the channels from freeview, which was actually ordered as not in an infinity area!

So how do I get the older software/firmware?

0 Ratings
joeuk2000
Aspiring Contributor
Message 15 of 44

Just phoned the number mentioned.. Fella seemed to understand the situation.. Guided me to channel 507 etc. informed on slow broadband... Put me through to technical helpdesk and then the line went dead...

Joy.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 16 of 44

An example of someone who it seems mistakenly got upgraded to the multicast software.

http://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Sport/BT-Sport-over-Copper-Broadband-to-BT-Vision/m-p/947134#M3891

Don't just assume it was a mistake though, even if you are only on ADSL. The multicast SD versions of BT Sport 1 & 2 are a slightly better picture quality then the DTT equivalents and you also get ESPN SD. So I think BT will try to give you this better service if they think your line can support it. 

If you are running the multicast software then have a look at these as well.

Help & Settings > Settings > CA Network Information

This should say Successful and Connected. You can try the Force Resynchronisation.

Help & Settings > Settings > Entitlement Information

This should say Initialised, show lots of dates, and list your entitlements like 'BT Sport SD'.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
joeuk2000
Aspiring Contributor
Message 17 of 44

Thanks Umpire. Looked at those 2 options and they are as you said.

Looked at the other link and checked my exchange its not multicast is not listed under available services 😞

So I just guess I need to receive Bt sports through freeview channels 58 and 59, which I can't do 😞
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 18 of 44

@joeuk2000 wrote:
Thanks Umpire. Looked at those 2 options and they are as you said.

Looked at the other link and checked my exchange its not multicast is not listed under available services 😞

So I just guess I need to receive Bt sports through freeview channels 58 and 59, which I can't do 😞

mmm.... if your box says it has successfully synchronised in the CA Network Information then should we read that as meaning it has connected to the multicast system? (CA = Conditional Access) I was actually expecting you to say that those fields said unsuccessful or not connected. Smiley LOL

If you are on ADSL then possibly the result of the line service checker for 'Fibre multicast' availability might not be relevant? I'm not sure about that.

I suppose you just need to discuss all this with a BT technical advisor. Easier said than done I know.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 19 of 44

@joeuk2000 wrote:

I have slow broadband, 3 meg and there are no plans to install infinity at my exchange.

That does sound slow though. When some people were originally moved onto this ADSL system for Sky Sports 1 & 2 there was an article that quoted a min speed of 5.2Mbps. Couldn't find any confirmation of that on the BT pages though.

0 Ratings
KFCSpike
Aspiring Contributor
Message 20 of 44

@umpire wrote:

If you are on ADSL then possibly the result of the line service checker for 'Fibre multicast' availability might not be relevant? I'm not sure about that.

Just for info - that checker doesn't mention multicast when checking against my number even though I'm working via multicast over copper.
Guessing that it's correctly picking up that 'Fibre multicast' is not available as my cab hasn't been upgraded to fibre but, as you say, might not be relavant for ADSL lines that are supported.

(Sorry joeuk, realise this info doesn't help your situation, think you need to speak to the Techy guys as umpire said)

0 Ratings