Distinguished Guru
Message 41 of 44

Re: Freeview retune has lost BTSport 1 & 2 on BT Vision box

@maloney wrote:

Hi Umpire

No call back again last night, shameful

Anyway,  Entitlement info shows:

BT sport SD

Interesting that the entitlement info is all filled in, which means it must have synchronised with the server to some extent. Some others just have this all blank. Does that imply the channels over ADSL service is available for your line? Unfortunately I don't know of any clear way of checking.

Also the fact that it includes BT Sport SD, but not BT Sport HD or PSB HD, does seem to indicate that they have tried to set you up for the channels over ADSL. The ADSL service doesn't support HD channels.

I suppose you will just have to see what they say as to why you get the error message when you try to view the channels. It may be some other setting they need to change either on your line details or the equipment, or it could all be a big mistake and you should really be getting the channels over the aerial. Which version of HomeHub ae you using?

Don't be too quick to dismiss the ADSL service as it gives a better picture quality (if your line is up to it) and also gives you ESPN. My advice, try and talk to someone who definitely knows about it if possible. There are too many BT technical reps who quite frankly seem to know very little about the BT systems. 

KFCspike gets the ADSL service so is better placed than me to tell you how it should work. I get the channels over Infinity.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 42 of 44

Re: Freeview retune has lost BTSport 1 & 2 on BT Vison box

@maloney wrote:

Hi, Blank screen with info saying. problems with your broadband have interrupted your viewing,press help to troubleshoot, cheers

I had a couple of those errors last night (first time since I was set up), switching channel from Sport1 to Sport2 then back again fixed it (had to press the help button to get rid of the message though - it gives the the option to reboot the hub and vision box or to cancel).

It might be worth rebooting the box and hub to see if it clears it (I had to do this after changing the ethernet cable running between vision box and hub for other reasons - it wouldn't go back online until after a reboot.

It could be your speed is too slow for multicast, if that's the case I think you need to contact them to have it changed back to DTT over channels 58 and 59 (mention the fact that you already have a card and it was previously working on those channels).

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 43 of 44

@umpire wrote:

@maloney wrote:

Hi Umpire

No call back again last night, shameful

Anyway,  Entitlement info shows:

BT sport SD

Interesting that the entitlement info is all filled in, which means it must have synchronised with the server to some extent. Some others just have this all blank. Does that imply the channels over ADSL service is available for your line? Unfortunately I don't know of any clear way of checking.

Also the fact that it includes BT Sport SD, but not BT Sport HD or PSB HD, does seem to indicate that they have tried to set you up for the channels over ADSL. The ADSL service doesn't support HD channels.

I suppose you will just have to see what they say as to why you get the error message when you try to view the channels. It may be some other setting they need to change either on your line details or the equipment, or it could all be a big mistake and you should really be getting the channels over the aerial. Which version of HomeHub ae you using?

Don't be too quick to dismiss the ADSL service as it gives a better picture quality (if your line is up to it) and also gives you ESPN. My advice, try and talk to someone who definitely knows about it if possible. There are too many BT technical reps who quite frankly seem to know very little about the BT systems. 

KFCspike gets the ADSL service so is better placed than me to tell you how it should work. I get the channels over Infinity.

My entitlements also show the HD channels (+ PSB HD) but when trying to view them the message (as expected) is that I need to be in an Infinity area.

SD channels over ADSL has been excellent so far (apart from a couple of errors, maybe caused by me adding three computers at the same time that all needed updates so would be using a fair bit of bandwidth Smiley Wink )

My connection speed is around 14MB - not sure what the minimum speed needed for multcast over ADSL is.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 44 of 44

@KFCSpike wrote:

My connection speed is around 14MB - not sure what the minimum speed needed for multicast over ADSL is.

As a rough guide an SD channel is up to ~3.5Mbps, and an HD channel is up ~10Mbps.

The channels over ADSL was originally announced for selected Sky Sports customers who were due to lose them otherwise when the DTT versions were turned off (they couldn't get Infinity). I think BT tried to keep the minimum speed requirement as low as possible in order to allow as many of those affected customers access to Sky Sports. So you can see why BT have not allowed broadband HD channels over the ADSL service and have also said that trying to record two broadband SD channels is not supported and may cause issues. A BBC news web article quoted a minimum speed requirement of 5.2Mbps.

You need a compatible newer HomeHub and a cable rather than PLA's is advisable to get the best connection possible.

0 Ratings