Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joeuk2000
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 44

Freeview retune has lost BTSport 1 & 2 on BT Vison box

Hi

I've retuned my BT Vision Box, its a black one, 4 years old approx. BT Sport 1 & 2 on channel 58 and 59 are not being listed. I just get the free promo channel of BT Sport, number 57.

I have my BT Sport card, but its not much use if the tuner wont pick up the channels! I'm also on a home hub 2, normal broadband (not inifity) if that matters?

I've reset the box, held the power key down for 5 secs, reset home hub... to no avail

2 other freeview boxes in the house do see BT Sport 1&2 but they dont have card slots, so cant use the card to watch them!

Feels like something to do with my BT Vision box. It says its firmware etc is all upto date.

Are there any know solutions?

Thanks

Joe

0 Ratings
43 REPLIES 43
Martin_Gibson
Contributor
Message 2 of 44

Re: Freeview retune has lost BTSport 1 & 2 on BT Vison box

Are the other two Freeview boxes and the BT Vision one connected to the same aerial? I have a Freeview tuner in my TV and another in my DVD recorder plus the two in the BT Vision box, making a total of four connected to the same aerial.

The signal is not always strong enough to pick up all the channels if it is split between four tuners. I sometimes lost the Sky Sports channels, which are the ones now used by BT Sport, if I had the DVD recorder and the BT Vision box on at the same time. If you retuned when this was the case, you would not pick them up.

If this theory is correct, then you would have also lost a number of other channels, including Yesterday and ITV4.

The solution would be to retune with at least one of the other Freeview boxes in stand-by mode.

0 Ratings
joeuk2000
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 44

Hi Martin...

So the Vision+ box is on a splitter with another box, the other box, a panasonic picks up the channels.  I will remove the splitter and put the aerial feed directly into the Vision and try that.. looking at the signal strengh and quality of the other channels on the vision+ box they are quite good. Hopefully your suggestion will solve.

The freeview box upstairs gets BTSport1 and 2, but not being a vison box, no card slot.

The instructions below dont help!

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/45768/c/6401

Thanks

Joe

0 Ratings
joeuk2000
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 44

Just checked.... the aerial cable goes directly into the BT Vision + box, then through the rf out to the panasonic box.

BT Vision box has the first go of the signal and doesn't pick up BT Sport 1 on channel 58, and BT Sport 2 on channel 59, where as the panasonic picks both up.

0 Ratings
KFCSpike
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 44

I'm on copper broadband and expected to get sport via aerial on 58 & 59 but mine is being delivered over multicast 507 & 508 - might be worth checking to see if these channels are in your list?

If they are, that would explain 58 & 59 being removed from the vision box.

0 Ratings
Martin_Gibson
Contributor
Message 6 of 44

My aerial cable goes BT Vision box, Freeview DVD recorder, Freeview TV. I've just checked and BT Sport is fine with the DVD recorder in stand-by mode. The picture breaks up if I put the DVD recorder on. I haven't checked every channel but 19 Yesterday and 24 ITV4 both disappear as well. All return if the DVD recorder is put back into stand-by.

Yesterday and ITV4 are also unviewable on the TV with the DVD recorder on. Both are fine with the BT Vision box on and the DVD recorder in stand-by.

I'm not knowledgeable enough to say why, but I can observe that it doesn't appear to matter that the cable goes into the BT Vision box first.

However, the key question is whether you have Yesterday and ITV4 on the BT Vision box. If you do, it's probably something else.

0 Ratings
danstuartrobb
Contributor
Message 7 of 44

OK...

I have the exact same problem as the original input from joeuk2000.  

BT vision tv guide does not even show chnls 58 and 59 but is ok showing chnl 57 with all the advertising !

The same TV that has the vision box connected via HDMI is also connected via the rf output of the vision box and this shows chnls 57, 58 & 59 on its freeview tuner as does my other freeview tv which runs from the same tv aerial and coax.

On both tv's freeview tuners the picture strength and quality is at 99% and even on the vision box it is good at 97% on most of the chnls. I have never experienced any picture problems at all and I installed the aerial and coax myself and they are good quality kit.

Yes my vision tv guide shows bt sport chnls 507, 508 & 509 but I cannot get these and just get a msg on a black screen saying there is a BB problem and advising me to restart my hub and reboot the vision box which when completed makes no difference. My copper BB (ADSL2) is ok at 10mb down and 1mb upstream.

I signed up for sports on my laptop at the website and it streams great online, so not a BB problem ! 

So..... Would someone from BT like to advise me and joeuk2000 what the problem is. 

After I registered for BT sports a month or so back I received a new black box with the new updated software followed by a new card which is in it and seems registered ok.

Any help appreciated as I have already missed the "Jags" game tonight !!!! 

0 Ratings
KFCSpike
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 44

danstuartrob,

My understanding is that if you can see channels 507, 508 and 509 then you have been set up for multicast (possibly incorrectly!) so 58 and 59 are removed from the list.

I had similar symtpoms with broadband errors trying to view them at first - I upgraded my old (v2?) hub to a HH4 and it all started working.

I'm no expert but it seems that, in some cases (mine for example), the sport channels are provided over multicast even on non-infinity lines.

0 Ratings
joeuk2000
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 44

Hi..

I'm in exactly the same situation as danstuartrob! I have channels 508, 507 and 509, but with slow broadband and a home hub 2 I shouldn't be set up for multicast, but over free view which is what I signed up for having received by card!!

And I'm an employee of BT too!!!

I need to keep my home hub 2 as I use the ip phones which hh3 and 4 don't support!

So how do turn the multicast feature off? As my broadband can't cope with it?

Hopefully some one will know... Been on the phone on hold for over 2 hours on various calls being put through to the technical help desk then the line dying.. Least it's free 0800 800150... But still wasted 2 hours!!!!
0 Ratings
danstuartrobb
Contributor
Message 10 of 44

Hi KFCSpike

You may well be correct.

I have just tried removing and inserting my viewing card and never got the msg "viewing card removed/accepted" as I have done in the past !!!

You say the hub 4 did the trick so rather than waste time with calls to the helpnotdesk I will try to get hold of one and replace my hub 3 and see if that works. Will post back.

Ta 

0 Ratings