Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nannysoo
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 13

Frequent Loss of Internet Connection

Go to solution

Please help!!! I keep losing connection to the internet--not just once in a while but it's now happening several times a week. I am fed up of going round in circles on the BT troubleshooting pages because I can't contact them for help until I can reconnect( I don't have an endless supply of laptops and tablets) and so then when they "run tests" everything appears normal.

I used to be with Sky---I had NO trouble at all with Sky! However I bought a Smart TV and needed a faster internet to be able to watch it---I chose BT Infinity---disaster!

I have an almost new Lenovo Touchscreen computer.

YES - I connect wirelessly

Router is 8 foot away from my computer in an upstairs room (exactly the same place the Sky router sat).

NO - we do not have lots of devices trying to connect at the same time

I would welcome ANY solutions please as I am wishing I had stayed with Sky and taken the Smart TV back to where I bought it!

Thank you in advance.

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: Frequent Loss of Internet Connection

Go to solution

have you turned of smart setup  

Turn Off smart setup

have you split the networks   

Split the networks

you can try downloading inssider3 (istumbler if MAC) and then run it. This will show the broadcasting networks round about you and their channels including your own. If you then enter your router and change your wireless channel to a free or less congested channel.

inssider3.1.2.1

Have you changed the default wireless lease time in the hh5 from 1 day to 21 days?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Nannysoo
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 13

Go to solution

Thank you for all that information Distinguished Sage

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 13

Go to solution

That's not oldSmiley Wink

that's why I posted links which explain how to check and make the changes

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 13

Go to solution

Sorry, but what has being 62 years old got to do with anything. I suspect most of the regular posters here are older than that, I certainly am. Its not at all technical, just follow the instructions in the links, quite straightforward.

0 Ratings
Nannysoo
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 13

Go to solution

But why have I got to do all that when i had no trouble at all with my Sky router and I had that a good few years?

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 13

Go to solution

The hh5 is a different router and is dul band network whereas your sky router may have been just a single band. Maybe you can get one of your grandchildren to make the changes for you

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 13

Go to solution

@Nannysoo wrote:

But why have I got to do all that when i had no trouble at all with my Sky router and I had that a good few years?

Sorry, but why ask for solutions if you don't intend to implement them.

0 Ratings
Nannysoo
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 13

Go to solution

Right, I've switched of the Smart thingy and split the network watsit so I'll see how it goes over the next few days before I try the other one.

It was so easy with Talk Talk and Sky because you could actually speak to a human and they would talk you through things as you did them

0 Ratings
Nannysoo
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 13

Go to solution

Why don't you be quiet if you can't be helpful?

0 Ratings