Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
brins0
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 22

Frequent SNR drops and high error rates

Heya all,

As of the past few days, I've been having issues with my BT Infinity 2 connection suffering from long periods where the SNR drops, and error rates increase. I've contacted support on the phone, but sadly unless I'm using a Home hub, they won't help me, and I don't have one to use. I've offered to provide them with any information they require by email, but they say it's not possible to send them anything. They've tried several line tests and they insist that everything is fine with the line, and that I must have faulty hardware on my end.

For a bit of history; I've had this connection since March 2012. When it was first set up, I was getting no interleaving down or up, and I was getting over the 40/10 I was quoted. A few months later, I was given an upgrade to 80/20. The interleaving remained at 0 both directions, and latency was around 12ms to bbc.co.uk (as an example). As time went on, errors began to show in my modem logs, the speed began to drop, interleaving kicked in, and the latency has increased. I called them about it originally, and an engineer came out. They replace the face plate, gave us a new modem, and issues an line reset. This solved the problem completely for a few months. Around 2 months later, the same things began to happen again. I called support again, but this time, I was outside of my contract period, so they effectively refused to help unless I was using their Home Hub thing, and blamed my equipment. Since this last call, things have steadilly got worse, until recently when the SNR drops began to occurr...

All I want is my connection how it was when I first changed to 80/20, with no interleaving. Nothing has changed in my flat since the connection was installed. There have been issues with street lighting and roadworks in the past, but I believe these were resolved. I suspect that there is a fault with either our line down to the distribution box downstairs (BT's responsibility) or the wire from there to the cabinet (Ashton-under-Lyne, Cabinet 6) (also BT's responsibility). I would ask for an engineer to come out, but I know they won't find a problem (even though there is clearly one there) and I'll get charged for a call-out, and still have my problem! What can I do to try and get it back to how it was?

Asn additional note, there's a neighbor of mine around the corner who's got the same product, going to the same cabinet, and they don't have any of these problems.

This is the current state of my connection as of 2014/07/17 09:47:35:

http://brins0.net:5555/~mhisani/vdsl/2014-07-17/ConnectionStats-2014-07-17-09.47.35.txt

Here are a few graphs of the SNR when these drops have occurred:

There are many days worth of stats here to browse:

http://brins0.net:5555/~mhisani/vdsl/

Hardware:

• Modem: Huawei HG612v3b
  • Router: Asus N66U (Tomato v1.28)
  • Faceplate: NTE5 (Mk2 SSFP)
  • No extensions
  • no bell wire
  • no phones plugged in
  • Line to modem is under 1m long

If there's any other information, at all, which will help diagnose my problem, please let me know and I'll do my best to provide it.

Please help!

0 Ratings
21 REPLIES 21
shirts
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 22

Re: Frequent SNR drops and high error rates

Can you carry out the "quiet line" test ? Using a corded phone plugged into the test socket on the master socket, dial 17070 and choose option 2. There should be no crackles, popping, buzzing, etc, in fact, it should be quiet........

If you found this post helpful, then please click the star on the left, after all, I'm only trying to help........Smiley Wink
0 Ratings
pippincp
Sage
Message 3 of 22

If you want support to help you I suggest you get hold of a BT hub. You must have had one originally, pity you didn't hang on to it for just this type of problem.

0 Ratings
brins0
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 22

I'll see about getting hold of a wired phone and see what kind of results I hear, thanks
0 Ratings
brins0
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 22

Sadly, using a Home Hub is not an option as it won't work with my current network setup.
0 Ratings
pippincp
Sage
Message 6 of 22

It would work for the time you need to talk to support and they do their tests.

0 Ratings
brins0
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 22

Unfortunately, I'd have limited to no internal network connectivity for the duration of it being plugged in and all my servers would fall over. They said it'd have to be installed for several days for them to "remotely monitor" it too, so it's really not an option.

I'm going to have a see about rigging up a monitor to watch the line noise over the next few days and see if there's anything abnormal.

0 Ratings
shirts
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 22

DSLstats works for me....... Smiley Wink

If you found this post helpful, then please click the star on the left, after all, I'm only trying to help........Smiley Wink
0 Ratings
brins0
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 22

Just tried a quiet line test and I couldn't hear anything but the blood rushing through my ears. Any suggestions for what to try next?
0 Ratings
shirts
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 22

Can you try the above mentioned program in order to monitor the errors on your line ? You should be able to tell as and when the errors start to increase dramatically which in tirn, can make it easier to narrow down any problems.....

I don't suppose you have a plasma TV ?

0 Ratings