Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

Frequent ping spikes

Hello,

In general my internet has been working fine, but recently when playing online games I have been experiencing consistent and frequent spikes in ping. My ping typically starts off around 70 or so, which is manageable, but will spike to above 300 fairly frequently (around once a minute I'd say, perhaps once every two minutes), rendering most games unplayable. I'd like to note that around a month ago I wasn't experiencing this issue. 

Here are the entries from the router log:

21:37:33, 16 Jun.( 84.540000) DSL noise margin: 6.10 dB upstream, 3.10 dB downstream
21:37:32, 16 Jun.( 83.440000) DSL line rate: 1184 Kbps upstream, 16895 Kbps downstream

The results of the performance test: 

Download - 14.52

Upload - 0.35

Ping - 58.25ms

Finally, the quiet line test is completely silent as far as I can tell. Any help would be much appreciated. 

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 2 of 4

Re: Frequent ping spikes

Hi,

Not sure if this helps but I've also done a trace route and given the results here. Not entirely sure how to interpret them myself. 

tracert.png

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 4

are you using wireless or an Ethernet connection
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 4

Thanks for the reply. I get similar behaviour on both wired and wireless. I've tried resetting the router, unplugging it for a brief period of time, restoring to factory default. I've also tried turning off all WiFi output from the router and using ethernet only on one device and I notice the same behaviour. 

0 Ratings