cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
thefrotatr
Beginner
Message 1 of 3

From 6Mbps to 47Kbps in a heartbeat

This is not a rant because frankly I don't have the energy for it.

I have now been a BT customer for 14 days and I wont even bother going into the utter mess BT made of getting me online after giving them over a months notice of moving into our new house. 

The connection was reasonably stable at around 5 to 6 Meg until 5 pm on Monday of this week when it dropped like a stone to 47Kbps measured using the BT online tool. I waited a day to see if it was a temporary blip and then made the mistake of calling 0800 1114567.

They stepped me through the whole wired / socket scripted thing. They did a line test and got 35Kbps (or so they said) and told me it was being escalated to the 'Advanced Team' who would contact me at 6 p.m. That seemed weird but hey ho.

No call at 6 p.m. so I waited until 6:45 and called them back. Back through the script again and I would need to be transferred to mobile broadband. I thought that was odd but maybe I miss heard? Nope, Mobile broadband asked me about my dongle and eventually said 'Im sorry you shouldn't be speaking to me I'll transfer you'. 

Back to the script again and now I need to be jacked into the engineers socket. It means I have to drop the call but they'll call back (I wish I had a mobile signal here now) in 20 minutes.

No call back and I wait 45 minutes just in case. I call them back and guess what? Yep, the script again and I'm told to order an accelerator. As I only have one socket that will do nothing according to the online ordering so another red hearing. Oh yes, they'll monitor the line.

I'm not happy now so I call back. Yeah the script etc and here's where it gets good. You need an accelerator, we need to take contol of your machine remotely so we can change settings in your hub (thank god the connection was so bad they couldn't connect) and finally are you using an Anti Virus programme? Yes says me, being all proud of my vigilence its AVG I've used it for years. You need to remove that its slowing your connection down. But my wifes mac is the same and that doesn't use AVG. No answer to that just 'we'll monitor the line'.

I had tweeted something pretty filthy about BT in the mean time and BTCare responded. I have now filled out one of their requests for assistance and I only hope they will do something.

However, the broadband call centre is something to be believed and I flatly refuse to use it EVER again.

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 3

Re: From 6Mbps to 47Kbps in a heartbeat

Hi Welcome to the forums

If you post the full stats from your router
For homehub – type 192.168.1.254 into your browser
Navigate to ADSL Settings or use the A-Z at the top right of the home page and scroll down to ADSL Settings and click on it

Click on More Details and then post the full results.
also post the full results from http://speedtester.bt.com/
Have you tried connecting to the test socket at the rear of the master socket Test Socket.jpg

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

also you could try the hints given by poster RogerB in this link they may help http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-in-Home/Poor-Broadband-speed/m-p/14217#M8397

Then someone here may be able to help and offer more advice.

This is a customer to customer self help forum the only BT presence here are the forum moderators

0 Ratings
pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 3

Re: From 6Mbps to 47Kbps in a heartbeat

@thefrotatr wrote:

A. This is not a rant because frankly I don't have the energy for it.

B. I had tweeted something pretty filthy about BT in the mean time and BTCare responded. I have now filled out one of their requests for assistance and I only hope they will do something.

C. However, the broadband call centre is something to be believed and I flatly refuse to use it EVER again.

A. It was a pretty good effort for a non-rant! 

B. You've now got somewhere which is likely to give you some positive help. Looks like a rare example of a useful tweet.

C. Understandable. BT are clearly very reluctant to address this issue as long as it's the industry standard.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings