Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
spluff
Expert
Message 1 of 15

From SKY to BT Infinity

Hi all,

I am currently fully with SKY Broadband / Phone Line / TV.

I am planning to go to BT Infinity ASAP (can signup today now)

Whats the best way to do this? 

Do I need to cancel my broadband and telephone with SKY first or just order via BT?  (dont want too much downtime with internet)

How long does it normally take from ordering to getting it?  (Im on hols for 2 weeks at end of month so dont wanna book and not be available )

Thanks

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Epyon
Contributor
Message 2 of 15

Re: From SKY to BT Infinity

Phone sky and request a MAC code

then phone up BT or order online.

0 Ratings
jjgraphics
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 15

I'd definitely go with phoning BT, rather than ordering online as there seem to be a lot of issues with the online ordering system and appointments not being honoured.

0 Ratings
Playful
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 15

The most painful part of this process will be getting the mac code from sky. I ordered infinity online once I had my mac code. Hub turned up on time and I had booked a 8am-1pm slot and the engineer phoned me at 8:45 saying he was at the cab then knocked on my door at 9:10 and was gone with everything up and running by 9:20 was really chuffed. Although I do currently have a fault with my line which one of the mods has been dealing with really well but I am booked a engineer visit on sat am so we shall see how good the after service is.
0 Ratings
raheelqureshi
Beginner
Message 5 of 15

My exp. and advise stick with Sky!!!!

They are much better! I got infinity (2nd June) and since then I am having problem in every thing...

Can't download Flash (few MB's) during day

Can't download Graphics drivers

Can't use Torrents

Unable to use VOIP

You name it BT throttle it!!!

If you are looking for "just for" browsing than go for it....

0 Ratings
dai_bonehead
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 15

Sorry to disagree, but I have not had any problems with BT. I hope that your issues are resolved soon.

0 Ratings
spluff
Expert
Message 7 of 15

thanks for the tips guys - i dont use torrents and I think the issues with some sites will be resolved by BT.

Im currently on 3Meg so the increase in speed will be good and lower latency.

If I get MAC code from SKY and then phone with BT:-

a. Wil I have any downtime in my internet?

b. How long on average from ordering to getting engineer installed?

Many thanks

0 Ratings
Playful
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 15

a) I had no downtime what so ever.

b)I think it was 2 weeks from date of ordering to when the engineer came.

Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 15

@raheelqureshi wrote:

My exp. and advise stick with Sky!!!!

They are much better! I got infinity (2nd June) and since then I am having problem in every thing...

Can't download Flash (few MB's) during day

Can't download Graphics drivers

Can't use Torrents

Unable to use VOIP

You name it BT throttle it!!!

If you are looking for "just for" browsing than go for it....

Sorry to hear of your problems raheelqureshi but you have pointed out 3 problems which are not BT's fault (I am not and have never been employed by BT):

Can't download Flash. This is a known problem whenever Adobe decide that Flash needs updating. Everyone canes Adobe's servers and they simply can't handle it. Try downloading it at 9am on a non-release day instead of peak time on a release day and you will find that it downloads quickly. Adobe haven't got enough bandwidth. Search the forums for Adobe Flash download and see for yourself

Graphics drivers. I suspect this is the same problem (drivers get updated, everyone wants them immediately)- why on earth would BT throttle HTTP downloads to Nvidia/AMD? It wouldn't make any business or logical sense. I can't see the Graphics cards companies leaning on BT like the Media companies might possibly do.

Can't use Torrents. Lots of people report that Torrents work just fine outside of the 1600-000 peak-time and weekends. Search these forums for Torrent. Can't vouch for this myself as I'm a HTTP/FTP old schooler.

Unable to use VOIP - which client? MSN?

Infinity works just fine for lots of people, but they don't post success messages!

0 Ratings
raheelqureshi
Beginner
Message 10 of 15

@tommybobbins

Thanks for your detailed reply.

I will differ with everything you said "because" I still got my Sky BB (for anytime+) and I tried on that same things same time (while BT failed to deliver) without any issue or slow speeds...

If anyone want proof I can do a quick round again with those things and can show you the difference.

Regarding Adobe and Drivers servers can't handle requested during peak time.... I must say (no disrespect) you are completely wrong. I work in a huge bank and face issues like that every day and I know what I am talking about.

About VOIP I am using sipgate (part work related) too many disconnections delays etc. So I had to switch back to other BB

OR may be I am the unlucky one who's connection not working as it should be....

PS: I am also not working for SKY or any other ISP, it is just my personal experience and I don't want to start any long ping pong msg's pls

0 Ratings