cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 5

Frustrated with low line speed

Hello all.

I returned to BT from Sky primarily because BT garanteed a faster connection than I already had for a cheaper price.

On Sky I got frustrated watching my line speed on ADSL2 drop from 10Mbps to 5.5Mbps. I waited for an age for FTTC to be installed in the cab I am connected to which isnt the nearest cab to me by a long shot. The day it was activated I ordered Sky Fibre and got 14Mbps. I moved back to BT last year after they promised a garanteed 15Mbps and expected to achieve 17-25Mbps. I was getting 14Mbps, now its 11-12Mbps.

I have had an engineer out from OpenReach who spent about 2 hours checking everything she possibly could but could not find a fault. Line tests all report back clean but speed is utter pants. I have a NTE5 master socket. I have a HH5 & an OpenReach modem (preferred).

From https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/adsl.htm?s_cid=ws_furls_adslchecker

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

HighLowHighLow    

FTTC Range A (Clean)2517.64.42.6--Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted)19.28.84.11.2--Available
WBC ADSL 2+Up to 5.5--4.5 to 6.5Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex MUp to 5.5Up to 14.5 to 6.5Available
ADSL MaxUp to 4.5--3 to 7.5Available
WBC Fixed Rate2 ----Available
Fixed Rate2 ----Available
Other Offerings
FTTP on Demand33030--Available
Fibre Multicast------Available
Copper Multicast------Available

From HH Helpdesk

3. Firmware version:Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.204 (Type A) Last updated Unknown
4. Board version:BT Hub 5A
5. DSL uptime:0 days, 05:14:26
6. Data rate:1122 / 11549
7. Maximum data rate:1121 / 11098
8. Noise margin:6.3 / 5.9
9. Line attenuation:14.7 / 30.5
10. Signal attenuation:14.7 / 26.3

I have been in contact with BT helpdesk but they want to send an Engineer. Is there any way that I can get BT to reset the DSLAM on my connection without sending an engineer? All other ISPs do this through 2nd/3rd line support BEFORE an engineer attends. Is there a way to get BT to connect me to the cab that is 200 yards away instead of a mile away? My current cab has FTTP available, how can I look to order this? Would changing the master socket to a SSFP Infinity one make any difference?

I am just getting frustrated with an ever degrading system. I don't store anything locally, it's all in the cloud, I prefer to buy digital copies of films/games/music.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Message 2 of 5

Re: Frustrated with low line speed

just done a http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

Download speedachieved during the test was - 11.68 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 7.82 Mbps-11.18 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 11.18 Mbps

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.57Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 10 Mbps
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 5

If an engineer has attended and is unable to improve the connection speed there's not much more that can be done.

Did the engineer say what speed he was able to get on his kit from your test socket? Are you currently connected to the test socket?

A DLM reset wouldn't help you as your SNR is already 6. On FTTC, DLM can only be reset by an Openreach engineer calling the control centre. An ISP cannot contact the control centre.

Openreach will not be willing to swap you to an alternate cabinet. FTTPoD is currently not available to order at the moment but it may do it the future although, if you're quite a distance cabinet from the exchange, which your speed suggests you are, it would be very expensive to install.

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 4 of 5

Thanks Webby

No, I was at work when the engineer attended. I am currently connected to the test socket. it might be worth getting them out again and being here when they are myself.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 5

It may be worthwhile, at least then you'd know for sure that nothing more can be done if the engineer confirms there's no fault. You can then make the decision as to whether to keep it as it is or go back to ADSL.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings