cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
YetAnotherUser
Beginner
Message 1 of 23

Frustrated with the engineers that keep reducing my broadband speed

I signed up for Infinity about 6 months ago. Performance on the first day was 38Mb/s

Then the engineers did some work in my street, and it dropped to below 8Mb/s

It took several weeks of negotation with BT customer services (I refused to pay until they fixed it) and the line was eventually restored to around 37Mb/s

Now the engineers have returned, done more work in my street, presumably to deliver recently advertised upgrades - but my downloads have dropped to 22Mb/s. So BT have taken away the bandwidth they were selling to me, and given it someone else?

I'm disgusted by the smoke & mirrors / give & take policies that BT has adopted. What are my options? Should I complain to the Ofcom, send BT a bill for the missing 16Mb/s, and cut the direct debit?

0 Ratings
22 REPLIES 22
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 23

Re: Frustrated with the engineers that keep reducing my broadband speed

there is no roadworks required for the recently announced increases for infinity 1 - just software moving of capped speed from 40 to 55mb   nobody is stealing your bandwidth

if you have a HH5 can you go to hub manager then trobleshooting then helpdesk and post 1-12

can you run btspeedtester and when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post results  must be done with wired connection  btspeedtester

are you using master or test socket

can you enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number wholesale FTTC check

try quiet line test   dial 17070 option 2  should be quiet and best with corded phone

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
YetAnotherUser
Beginner
Message 3 of 23

There is only one observed pattern: When BT engineers visit the box in the street to do work, my broadband speed drops.

I'll try posting data but its logistically tricky because I don't use the expected hardware.

P.S. Just found this webpage doesn't work fully in the Windows 10 Edge browser. Cannot paste anything into the reply box.

0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 23

"I know of the troubleshooting/helpdesk options and I verify my bandwidth using BT's wholesale speed check."

Could you post the info then? You know the results but the others on the forum aren't mind readers. 🙂
They might be able to offer advice if they can see the full picture.
0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 23

Just text versions are fine if you are having problems with screenshots.

Haven't tried Edge with this forum myself. I believe Windows 10 does also have Internet Explorer pre-installed if you dig around?
0 Ratings
YetAnotherUser
Beginner
Message 6 of 23

Needed to switch browsers due to community.bt.com bug..

FTTC Range A (Clean) 49 35 9 6.3 -- Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted) 36.7 18 8.1 4.2 -- Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 11 -- 6.5 to 15 Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M Up to 11 Up to 1 6.5 to 15 Available
ADSL Max Up to 6 -- 5 to 8 Available
WBC Fixed Rate  2  -- -- Available
Fixed Rate  2  -- -- Available
Other Offerings
FTTP on Demand 330 30 -- Available
Fibre Multicast -- -- -- Available
Copper Multicast -- -- -- Available

Speed Test Results

(samples observed today - values inconsistent)

Download: 22 - 34

Upload: 7 -  7.5

Ping: 21.3 - 22.5

IP Profile for your line is - 37.84 Mbps

Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 10 Mbps

Interesting: BT claims that 20Mb/s is within the acceptable range for BT Infinity, so I guess my only complaint can be that instead of making fanciful quotes, shouldn't BT be advertising "20Mb/s or better"?

0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 23

Are you testing with a wired or wireless connection?

Your IP profile indicates your connection speed is within the estimated range of speeds for your line.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 23

you are on infinity 1 and from what you have posted have a 40/10mb connection  was btspeedtester done using a wired connection to do the test

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
YetAnotherUser
Beginner
Message 9 of 23

My laptops don't have an RJ45 socket so these are wireless tests. It would take a while to find and dust off an older machine for more accurate tests - is that really worth doing?

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 23

BT will not help unless btspeedtester is done with wired connection due to possible interference using wireless

0 Ratings