cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Zerodark
Contributor
Message 1 of 19

Frustratingly slow connection after area BB/Phone network issue (sorry - long post)

Hello all

Around 3 weeks ago (04/09/14) the BB was incredibly slow so I checked the BT Service Status page and the following message was displayed for the area I live in: -

A small number of our customers in the below areas, may experience a loss of telephone and/or broadband services...

The date given for the problem to be rectifed was 07/09/14.  This date came and went but the connection was still snail pace slow (approx 0.77 Meg down 0.79 up).  I made sure I reset the HH4 etc but still no joy.  Anyhoo tried phoning BT support on the 08/09 and there was a recorded message about a problem in the area.  The msg said the issue would be resolved in 2 hours.  I phoned 2 hours later and ... still 2 hrs to resolve the problem.  

I left it until Wednesday 10/09 to call BT and register a fault.  The chap at technical support advsied me that there wasn't a problem with the line (bourne out by the DSL line rate - see below) and the problem was my end.  Anyhow I got very frustrated and went on a compulsive-obsessive HH reset frenzy - just to watch an episode of the West Wing on my Sky Now box.  (The BB speed went up in so far as I could stream SD video for half an hour or so if I reset the hub)

Apparently this is one of the worse things I could of done (well in terms of getting a reasonable internet connection anyhow) as the constant resets probably just made it look like that there was a fault with the line and accordingly adjusted my IP Config profile downwards?  (I've not been able to view my IP Config to confirm this).

So on reading some posts in this forum the advice was to leave the HH alone for up to 10 days to improve the speed but that a speedtest could be performed at 3 days to check on progress.  Wel I did a speed test yesterday and only achived a 2.1 MB DL rate at this PC (using twin AV500 Powerline adapters) but 5.5 MB DL if I connected an old Netbook directly to the Hub (I think this may be a seperate issue?).

Today however, both my PC & directly connceted Netbook came in at a super-slow 0.43 MB DL & 0.76 MB UL.

I checked the hub log and have pasted the following lines: -

12:50:57, 17 Sep. (229605.860000) DSL is up

12:50:56, 17 Sep. (229604.320000) DSL noise margin: 9.90 dB upstream, 3.00 dB downstream

12:50:55,17 Sep. (229603.310000) DSL line rate: 888 Kbps upstream, 8242 Kbps downstream

12:50:06, 17 Sep. (229554.970000) DSL is down after 3824 minutes uptime

12:50:06, 17 Sep. (229554.970000) ETHoA is down after 3824 minutes uptime

12:50:06,17 Sep. (229554.590000) PPPoA is down after 3824 minutes uptime [Waiting for Underlying Connection (WAN DSL -​ Up)] 12:50:02,17 Sep. (229550.470000) PPP LCP Send Termination Request [User request]

If I'm reading this right It looks like the ADSL went down (nowt in the logs to say that the HH restarted) and re-connected at around lunchtime but would this very short interruption be responsible for the very poor speeds this evening?

Do I need to wait for another 3 days (10 days?) for the BB speed to settle/the HH to retrain? 

Anyway I hope someone can help because this is very frustrating Smiley Sad

Many thanks

Bll 

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 19

Re: Frustratingly slow connection after area BB/Phone network issue (sorry - long post)

Frim the stats looks like a reset st lunchtime today and you connection is now 8.2mb with a low noise margin of 3db

can you run btspeedtester and when first test completes run diagnostic test and post results. 

btspeedtester

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Zerodark
Contributor
Message 3 of 19

Re: Frustratingly slow connection after area BB/Phone network issue (sorry - long post)

Hi imjolly

I've run the test several time and the below is the latest result.  As you can see DL speeds are extremely slow.  The diagnostics test always fails whether I'm using my main PC or plugging a Netbook via Ethernet straight to the Hub.  Before the problems some 3 weeks ago the connection DL speeds were around 6 Mbps.

1. Best Effort Test:

Download Speed : 0.23 Mbps

2. Upstream Test:

Upload Speed : 0.75 Mbps

Your speed test has completed and the results are shown above, however during the test an error occurred while trying to retrieve additional details regarding your service. As a result we are unable to determine if the speed you received during the test is acceptable for your service. Please re-run the test if you require this additional information.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 19

Was the test done with ethernet cable direct to hub?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Zerodark
Contributor
Message 5 of 19

That test wasn't - completed using a desktop connected via Poweline (I haven't got an ethernet cable long enough to connect to the hub).  However, a previous attempt this evening using a Netbook connected via cable to the hub returned similar results and again the diagnostic test returned an error.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 19

In order to get wholesale to help should your speed be the same the test needs to be done with ethernet connection.

are there any problem shown on any of these links. http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/mso.php

http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/?

http://btbusiness.custhelp.com/app/service_status

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/15036

http://community.plus.net/exchange-information/

0 Ratings
Zerodark
Contributor
Message 7 of 19

I'm sorry but I have done the test with a laptop connceted directly to the hub already this evening with exactly the same results - what would be achived by doing exactly the same test again?!  As Einstien is reportedly said "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a diffrent result".

With regards to the links some of them are not even loading at the moment - indeed I've just had to reload this page because the connection hung.

The Plusnet page showed quite a few problems but none (as far as I can tell) for the 01452 (Gloucester) code.  The BT Customer Help link didn't like the landline number (unsupported at this time).

I have an open fault (VOL051-************) the one I reported on Wednesday 10/09/14 and have checked the status page already today (no faults affecting the area I live in). 

The bottom link returns a problem in: HARDWICKE SSHWK 58.80% which is around 4/5 miles from here (unless its a different Hardwicke to the one in Gloucestershire).  However, the nearest exchange to this property is in the centre of Gloucester.

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 19

I don't think wholesale read einstein just looks at stats and will only consider btspeetester results done with an ethernet connection direct to the hub. Anything else is not considered hence the request for the stats to be posted as you may need wholesale assustance - still up to you

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 19

Did you try the wuiet line test and see if any line noise. Dial 17070 option 2. Should be quiet no hiss/crackle and best with corded phone. If cordless then dull hum normal

With all the resets you have done I would expect a much higher noise margin instead of the low 3db

0 Ratings
Zerodark
Contributor
Message 10 of 19

Hi 

I haven't tried the phone test.  The flat has a really old cordless phone with very poor sound quality.

DL 6.76 Mbps

UL 0.53 Mbps

... error trying to retrieve additional details ...

So much better DL speeds (slightly slower UL).

Just re-ran the test (didn't reset the hub this time)

DL 0.0 Mbps (now that is slow!)

UL 0.67 Mbps

Ping 73.8 ms

0 Ratings