cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 41 of 77

Re: Full Fibre To The Property with Digital Voice and Third Party Router

Sorry, slightly off-topic. Would that be acceptable if I wanted to use my own router rather than Smart Hub 2? I have no need whatsoever for BT Digital Voice.

0 Ratings
Message 42 of 77

Would what be acceptable?

0 Ratings
Message 43 of 77

If I have no use for Digital Voice, can I avoid using the Smart Hub 2 and just use my own router?

0 Ratings
Message 44 of 77

Yes

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 45 of 77

Thank you.

0 Ratings
Message 46 of 77

I have been using my own routers for years with BT Internet. The only issue, which you say will not matter, is their implementation of digital voice (telephony service) requires using their router.  Many IP telephone solutions exist if you want the equivalent of a landline phone and go with a router of your choosing,

Message 47 of 77

Presumably if all the traffic has to go through the SH2 before it hits the 3rd-party router, that would mean that Wi-Fi 6 is not available (because SH2s cannot support Wi-Fi 6) ?

0 Ratings
Message 48 of 77

You just turn the WiFi off in the SH2 and use the WiFi of your own router

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 49 of 77

Don’t use the BT supplied hub at all. No need for it. 

0 Ratings
Message 50 of 77

Thanks KennethS, but (assuming I understand correctly) I think I would need the SH2 in order to keep my Digital Voice service running (because BT sends out kit which uses DECT not Wi-Fi) .

So, I am hoping I can connect the SH2 to the Wi-Fi 6 router via ethernet just to use the SH2's DECT circuitry. I am also looking into junking BT for the landline and going with a VoIP provider, but if the SH2-router plan works, that is probably easier - if it merely needs an ethernet cable and not much in the way of re-programming etc. Any recommendations for a good Wi-Fi 6 router gratefully received....

0 Ratings