cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 24

Full steam ahead.....to full astern! What's the score?

After browsing this forum regularly since getting fibre in late Nov, it's clear that BT have a serious problem within their infrastructure somewhere...!!

Post after post, of people complaining about dire speeds, DNS probs etc etc....

Just found a neighbour who's on TalkTalk at the same exchange as me...and has constant speeds (within a few meg) whereas my connection goes from it's 'normal' speed of 50-odd meg in the off-peak hours, down to a paltry 5-6meg after 5 or 6pm every evening!!

Surely we should be able to get out of our contracts if BT aren't delivering what they're supposed to be doing? It's the same old fob-off's from someone halfway around the world, who informs me that 'the engineers are currently working on the problem and they are aware there is an issue on your exchange'.....

It's no joke now, it's been going on for over a month now....

0 Ratings
23 REPLIES 23
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 2 of 24

Re: Full steam ahead.....to full astern! What's the score?

I'm also very disappointed with infinity, BT have hounded me for months trying to sell me this fantastic service. I have always said I was very happy with Adsl and declined on the basis of I'd rather have a slower stable conection than a faster unreliable one. I was reassured this time by the salesman who called me that it would be as stable as my Adsl connection. I'm lucky if it stays connected for more than 30 minutes. 

I have monitored it and it disconnected 15 times in less than 2 hours.

Recently tried to make Skype calls to home as I'm away, I'm lucky if it lasts 5 mins before disconnecting.  It is like the nightmare of a connection i had with virgin.

I feel like I've traded in a modern reliable hatchback and got a 30 year old neglected Ferrari that is faster for the few moments that it works in between breakdowns.

If I had done my research and read all the information here and elsewhere on the internet, I would never have agreed to having infinity.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 24

Just to balance the picture, I was upgraded to Infinity 3 weeks ago and haven't had a single disconnection. Maybe it's because I've never used the Home Hub!! Smiley Wink

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 4 of 24

I bought my own new modem/router too but, that has not cured the problem. Hopefully it will be resolved or I will be pushing very hard to be returned to Adsl. 

I'm a bit miffed that bt's testing of  a new connection is just 'see if you can open a Web page 5 times'. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 24

Tbh, disconnects aren't so much of a problem (though I notice from my router logs, that I had one this morning at 9am funnily enough...)

My major gripe is the congestion slow-down I get every single weekday from teatime onwards....not a small slowdown, but a mahoosive one to 10% of my connected speed.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Sage
Message 6 of 24

@Soyuz wrote:

I'm also very disappointed with infinity, BT have hounded me for months trying to sell me this fantastic service. I have always said I was very happy with Adsl and declined on the basis of I'd rather have a slower stable conection than a faster unreliable one. I was reassured this time by the salesman who called me that it would be as stable as my Adsl connection. I'm lucky if it stays connected for more than 30 minutes. 

I have monitored it and it disconnected 15 times in less than 2 hours.

Recently tried to make Skype calls to home as I'm away, I'm lucky if it lasts 5 mins before disconnecting.  It is like the nightmare of a connection i had with virgin.

I feel like I've traded in a modern reliable hatchback and got a 30 year old neglected Ferrari that is faster for the few moments that it works in between breakdowns.

If I had done my research and read all the information here and elsewhere on the internet, I would never have agreed to having infinity.

It seems obvious you have a problem. Why not start your own thread where help and advice can be given?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 7 of 24

Hi Rex_Ham,

I'm sorry about the problems you're having with the connection speed in the evening.  I can see there is a known issue in Wrexham and the engineers are currently working on a resolution. When there are any new updates we'll post this on the service status webpage.

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 24

Thanks for the reply Neil. I'm aware that there are issues on the Wrexham exchange, however we are not on the main Wxm exchange, but on a local one some 4 miles from town (exchange code WNRWX)

We do have the same 01978 std code though, does that mean that ALL numbers beginning with 01978 will be affected, not just those on the main Wrexham exchange?

Thx

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 24

As per the link that was posted

Dialling codes affected: 01978

Estimated time to resolve: 20:08

Dialling codes affected: 01978

Impacting service since 05/01/2015 15:19

Update 1: Investigations are continuing in to the cause of this outage.

We're really sorry but we've got a problem at the moment in the Wrexham area, which means that some of our customers will be having trouble getting online. We're trying to fix the problem as quickly as we can.

Please revisit this page for further updates.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 24

@Rex_Ham wrote:

We do have the same 01978 std code though, does that mean that ALL numbers beginning with 01978 will be affected, not just those on the main Wrexham exchange?

Thx

Depending on what and where the fault is and network topology in the Wrexham area, quite likely.

Edit: Crossed with gg

0 Ratings