cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LisaQ
Message 1 of 5

Furious about being misled by BT

Go to solution

About 17 months ago I signed up for a 12 month contract with BT for phone & broadband - this included unlimited evening and weekend calls. The contract was for a flat I have which a friend was going to live in but not for long enough to have his own contract so we agreed that I'd take it out and he'd pay the bills.

Everything went fine and when he left after about 4 months another friend took the flat and continued in the same way. Every bill was paid by DD, always on time and with no issues at all.

After a year I got a letter from BT telling me what to do to run another 12 month contract. I decided I didn't want that as the second friend was moving out soon so gave them a call.

I was advised to change the contract to just "unlimited weekend calls" which meant I could cancel at a couple of weeks notice at any time rather than tying myself in again.

Perfect - that was exactly what I wanted. I recall saying to the woman I spoke to "please assure me I can cancel at any time with no penalty". She continually said "Yes, that's correct. All we need is up to 2 weeks notice". This conversation, I hope, was recorded! Never at any time was any mention made that the phone and the broadband may be considered separately.

Last week yet another friend moved into the property and decided to move his Virgin contract to the address. I said "that's fine, all I need to do is give BT 2 weeks notice". He is obviously happy to pay for that.

However, when I called BT to cancel last Wednesday I wasn't met with any form of decency at all and I really hope this conversation was recorded!

First off the chap asked why I was cancelling. When I explained about Virgin his first reaction was "we can offer you much better packages - let me see what we can do for you." This immediately got my hackles up. At home we've been with BT Broadband for as long as it has existed, and with BT dial up prior to that. In fact we've never had a line or calls from any other supplier. At my business we have also been with BT for 20+ years. We have NEVER been offered a cheaper deal.

Note to BT: try offering your loyal customers the same deals you would offer someone wanting "out"! Right now I am seriously questioning my loyalty and that will amount to around £150 pcm in losses to BT.

When I reiterated that I wanted to cancel the chap said "well you have to pay for your Broadband until the 24th December!"

Eh? I was gobsmacked but it was about to get worse. I tried to say that I had questioned this when I didn't renew the 12 month contract and was told I had to give 2 weeks notice but he said "that's only for phones, not Broadband".

This shocked me - I get ONE bill for my BT Services and as far as I'm concerned (and I'm not some dimwit) that means I am paying for one service - inclusive phone and Broadband.

When I tried to explain my prior conversation he shouted over me continually and then HUNG UP ON ME. This is not the kind of service I expect from a company I have happily paid the best part of £2k a year to for the last goodness knows how long.

I called back to register a complaint and was told someone would call me the following day (Thursday 28th Oct) to discuss things with me.

Do I need to say they didn't?

They didn't.

So now BT stand to loose my (almost) £2k a year all for the sake of a £30 a month bill. (Un)fortunately I'm incredibly busy at work so I haven't had a chance to look into other phone & broadband supplier options for my home and my business yet - but that's the first thing on my "to do" list for tomorrow.

Most frustratingly I now don't know if this contract is being cancelled and spending 20 minutes hanging on the phone while I get played poor elevator musac only to potentially be answered by some bloke who can't be bothered to speak to me and slams the phone down isn't the way I really want to spend my precious few free moments...

Very, very poor.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
seasider40
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 5

Re: Furious about being misled by BT

Go to solution

Agree about never offering 'special offers' until you want to leave. 

0 Ratings
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

Hi LisaQ,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the forum.  I am so sorry for the problems that you have had with BT recently.  This is not the way we aim to do business.  I can help you.

Can you please drop me an email to the email address in my profile, include your BT account details and the link to this thread.  Once I get your details I will take a look at your account and see what is going on.

Cheers

Sean

LisaQ
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

Thanks for your reply, Sean.

I have emailed you with the details.

0 Ratings
LisaQ
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

Thank you for looking into this so quickly for me, Sean.

Still rather disappointed at the attitude of the chap I spoke to last week but at least I know where I stand now and everything has been sorted out.

0 Ratings