cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tazz
Aspiring Contributor
Message 231 of 535

Re: G.INP affecting certain eci modems,resulting in a drop in sync rate and other issues

@SeanD wrote:

Hi Guys,

Apologies for the lack of information from us on G.INP.  I have been able to obtain some details and we have contacted Openreach about some of the reports on this thread.

What is G.INP? It’s a technology used on FTTC lines which is being deployed by Openreach.

What does it do? It runs a protocol between the fibre cabinet and the modem in the home. That protocol keeps a store of the data packets sent, and checks packets as they arrive for errors, retransmitting any that have errors and thereby in effect removing the errors. As this is done locally (within a kilometre or two) it happens very quickly. Previously, any packet errors that arrived in the customer’s home would either be corrected by going back to the original source, perhaps hundreds of miles away, thus introducing a noticeable time lag, or would not be corrected at all causing usability problems.

How is it being rolled out? There was an early trial that finished about a year ago, which showed very promising results in that we saw a significant reduction in the propensity of BT Consumer customers to report problems with their service whilst on the trial. Openreach have recently been testing at higher volumes, also successful, and have started rolling out across their network – we understand so far to about half of FTTC lines. The rollout is automatic, and does not require action on the users part.

What are the benefits to FTTC end users? The technology has a significant positive effect on customer applications, particularly those which are “real time”, such as TV. TV programmes will more often appear smoothly without any freezing or video or sound issues, web pages will appear more quickly on the screen and in general the service will appear less “clunky”. There also seems to be a mild improvement to average line speed.

Any compatibility issues? In general we have seen very few compatibility issues. Clearly there is always a risk that a trial may miss a rare issue that, when scaled up to a very large number of lines affects several people. And there is also a risk that unrelated issues that happen to appear at the same time through coincidence are thought to be related while actually they are not. However we’ve flagged to Openreach the comments on this forum and that for at least some of the issues there appear to be some similarities.

Cheers

Sean

@SeanD I am sorry but this reply is not acceptable.

Lots of users are having issues with the HomeHub 5A on Huawei DSLAMS and it is about time that BT Retail take it on board and sort it out with a Fimware update. It can be done because TP-Link have managed it. The only 2 devices left to fix are the ECI Openreach Modem and the HH5A both that use the Lantiq VRX-268 modem chipset.

There is new stories on it here and both state users are having issues:

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/6921-g-inp-roll-out-receives-mixed-reactions.html

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2015/01/bt-enables-physical-retransmission-g-inp-fttc-broadband...

No only are users here reporting issues with the HH5 but they are also reporting it at the following sites one being your sister company Plusnet:

http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=15283.0

https://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,136287.0.html

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/f/4399541-ginp-and-eci-modem-problem.html?vc=1

Both BT Openreach and BT Retail need to step up their act and sort this out!!!

0 Ratings
DooGie666
Aspiring Contributor
Message 232 of 535

Re: G.INP affecting certain eci modems,resulting in a drop in sync rate and other issues

Thanks for that post Tazz it echoes my thoughts.

I'd like to add though that if the issue can't be cured by a firmware update for the HH5A then our HH5s should be updated to HH5B foc.

0 Ratings
ray_dorset
Distinguished Guru
Message 233 of 535

I have seen reports of port forwarding problems with the HH5 type B
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
McGrath1982
Expert
Message 234 of 535

Good luck to anyone trying to get a HH5 type B off BT that's all i can say!!!. I've got one massive headache from all the times I've been on the phone to the overseas CS team last week etc..... Even got through to a UK call centre yesterday they couldn't help with sending a HH5 type B. Smiley Frustrated

0 Ratings
CuReLeSsVeNoM
Aspiring Expert
Message 235 of 535

After BT support resigning me to a new 18 month contract without my consent and then promising to cancel the recontract order but never did. I spoke to someone today who said they are sending me a new HH but cant confirm what version it is because the person they are ording it from says there is only one version of the HH5 lol. They said a £75 charge but will credit it off my bill (believe that when I see it).

I am going to wait till wednesday which is the delivery date and check the version. If it's a B I will be calling to make sure I have a credit on my bill and that I am not resigned to a contract (as promised). If it is another version A, it is getting sent back.

To add further insult I checked my electronic bill and they have charged me twice for my broadband next month ROFLMAO.. Another phone call in order to get it credited.

Seriously BT I don't know why I put up with this level of customer service and yet pay more than most of your competitors.

0 Ratings
Barry57
Expert
Message 236 of 535

Agree with Ray on just getting a HG612 3B as a fix from the usual well known auction/swap sites*

Or one of those fancy billion's / zyxel's  that work well with this transmission / g.inp stuff that are recommended on Kitz.

Saves all the stress of the call centre & your not tied in another 12m/18m so you can move if bt mess anything else up.

Wouldn't liked to be tied in another 12m/18m just to get a hh5b that also has its own niggles.

Disappointed by the mod's "statement" when btretail's sister isp plusnet and other business type isp are aware of the issues and pushing for a fix. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*make sure its an openreach hg612  3b  & not the ECI/r model 

0 Ratings
Locky
Expert
Message 237 of 535

What a load of RUBBISH!

The words 'Don't know what you're doing' comes to mind...

clueless..

0 Ratings
RayW1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 238 of 535

Yep, use a HG612 3B (with the current firmware on it) and a decent router (such as a Netgear for example).

That's all it needsSmiley Happy ...

derekdel
Aspiring Expert
Message 239 of 535

I'm on a ECI cab with ECI modem. I prefer to have spare equipment laying around for testing in case of line faults. As the ECI modem is locked down better than Fort Knox and unless I 'unlock' said modem I won't know if my cab/modem has been updated for G.INP. IF I swap out my current modem for a spare modem how will I know it's going to be compatible with an updated cab?
More to the point why or how do you expect to run a service when cabs are updated and end user equipment may be made redundant
WHY should ANYONE be expected to source equipment from the online bay shop just to make their lines work properly?

Massive customer failure!
0 Ratings
freddie5
Aspiring Expert
Message 240 of 535

WHY should ANYONE be expected to source equipment from the online bay shop just to make their lines work properly?

I agree. Absolutely ridiculous.

I can understand people saying to buy a Huawei off ebay because its so easy to buy one and install - job done, no waiting around for BT/Openreach to offer a solution.

But as derekdel says, why should the end user have to source equipment to make their lines work as BT/Openreach intend??

0 Ratings