cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Recognised Expert
Message 451 of 535

Re: G.INP affecting certain eci modems,resulting in a drop in sync rate and other issues

@GeekOfBroadband wrote:

Probably a Billion 8800AXL 

Be warned that the wireless on this - no external aerials - isn't so strong.

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 452 of 535

Re: G.INP affecting certain eci modems,resulting in a drop in sync rate and other issues

@ burnside "What they should of done is recall all the incompatible devices that they supplied and replaced them with compatible ones"

And in order to have G.INP upstream as well as down this is what they will have to do ...as people have been asking/saying ever since this issue arose.

But as things currently stand with this profile fix ... is there any difference/advantage to having a HH type B as opposed to a type A?
0 Ratings
Aspiring Expert
Message 453 of 535

@burnside
"...but due to the increased FEC (foward error correction) overheads on the upstream many are not seeing their previous upstream sync rates re appear again, So a fail by BT"

I don't want to look like I'm defending BT/OpenReach but in my case I've had an upstream increase with better latency on both the locked ECI modem and HH5A. The "botched" profiles has benefitted me in many ways and gave me a better quality line overall. I wish more people with a eci and/or HH5A who seen a benefit would post here too. It looks like I'm the only one lol.

So its not a fail if some of us are seeing a difference.

Obviously it'd be better to swap with compatible equipment. The gold dust that's the HH5B. Or a fancy plastic box. I don't want to come across like I'm a know it all I guess differing experiences make it look like that lol.

Mark.
*This is my signature...it's a bit boring*
0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 454 of 535

speed.jpg

A bit lower than I usually get for download, and dont let the ping fool ya, its still as bad as ever with slow/not loading pages, pictures missing from pages or fuzzy, etc.

Still not got to the bottom of whats wrong this end, ECI cab (check) ECI modem (check) HH5(B) (check) or HH4(A) still getting lag, with or without the modem.  Maybe I shoulda gotten a HH5(A) Smiley Sad

The only happy people I know is my mobile phone provider, with all the extra usage I'm using on that just to read the flipping news, or emails from rich saudi lawyers offering me millions, or who has recently poked me on fb Smiley Tongue

Might take a leaf out of Geek's post and put some really big nails through the ECI cab across the road, lol.

Robot Mad

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 455 of 535

There are many who where using  or had access to a unlocked modem  such as the HG612  before G.inp was rolled out, and followed by this fix, and as a result now have a lower upstream sync rate, some are fortunate to have a high enough attainable rate  so they aren't loosing any sync speed, but some are reporting loosing 2mbps or so,

If you compare using a non g.inp compatible modem ECI  prior to the fix/g.inp rollout  and after it, of course there will be an improvement in latency and sync speed, although whilst using the ECI you wouldn't be able to confirm this as they are locked down and have no gui for stats

But it isnt a proper solution it's a cop out, BT blundered yet again

0 Ratings
Aspiring Expert
Message 456 of 535

Even before the G.INP introduction I was getting speeds of 37 down and 7 up. Then G.INP was introduced had impacted speeds and latency. 10th May I got an increase in upload speed and better latency than before. I don't need any stats to tell me there has been an improvement and what has been done. I make do with the little i have. Again in my experience its been a success to a degree. I haven't ever spoke so highly of BT/Openreach but if I didn't see any improvement I'd be sour about it too. So credit where credit is due, even if it's botched profiling or not.
And plus the HH5A will be fully G.INP compliant when they've tested out .11 update for it. So all in all not too bad.
Mark.
0 Ratings
Expert
Message 457 of 535

Seems some new G.INP profiles are being rolled,  (reading the posts on BTretails sister isp plusnet -)

Still think the case bt lost back in November had a bigger impact on their line mangement software than was first thought.

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2014/11/uk-court-appeal-rules-bt-fttc-broadband-infringes-assia...

Still no fix for eci's though 😞 Just hope with all these trails - they don't mess up the hg612 3B as well 

At this rate it September at the earliest before it anywhere near its fixed[patched} nationally.

Will  these g.inp problems  impact  the new 4K football streaming ??

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 458 of 535

The fix removes G.inp from the upstream and re enables fast path but with a higher ammount of foward error correction  so no inpact on latency but is known to have some impact on upstream sync speeds or could if your max attainable rate /snr is close to the max sync/ target noise margin of 6db on the upstream  i lost some snr and attainable dur to this borked fix using an unlocked HG612

0 Ratings
Expert
Message 459 of 535

Thanks  burnside

So its worse ?

Looks  a ducktap , bungee &  chewing gum approach untill something better is figured out?

Oh well roll on September, hopefully this 4k streaming football might speed up a solution for a proper fix, rather than front ending the hh5a & swaping eci/r for HG612 3B's. 

Is anyone beta testing the hh6 yet to see if that works with these new line settings? 

0 Ratings
Aspiring Expert
Message 460 of 535

It still looks like I'm defending a broken system they've put in place but its been working better for me than ever before.
I apologise for sounding like a broken record. But I think in hindsight it'd be better when something "proper" is put in place.
This kind of **bleep** up is bad. My HH5A and ECI set up is the best one for me as the HH5A's aren't exactly the best by themselves.
I do hope a real resolution is in place as I do seem to be the only one praising an improvement.
Its just the fact the adsl line checker still says my max upload is 7.5 and I'm getting over 9 now. Plus way better latency.
Hopefully they'll realise they will need to do something proper. It reminds me of Virgin in a way when I used to be with them - They'd patch something up hoping it'd work for awhile until people noticed and kicked up a stink. Perhaps I shouldn't post on the positives and I'm kinda angry with myself praising it but knowing its a patch job really.
Mark.

0 Ratings