cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MarkG33
Aspiring Expert
Message 481 of 535

Re: G.INP affecting certain eci modems,resulting in a drop in sync rate and other issues

@xwrt Point taken lol. Thanks.

@NewtronStar Again point taken. I will refrain from posting further. I'm just ecstatic with the difference is all. I guess with the mass majority not seeing any positives the few that have won't be taken too well. 🙂
I'll just watch this thread instead haha.
Thanks.

Mark. 😄
*This is my signature...it's a bit boring*
0 Ratings
burnside
Contributor
Message 482 of 535

Re: G.INP affecting certain eci modems,resulting in a drop in sync rate and other issues

So BT will of known simce the testing that their ECI & HH5vA Devices wouldn't work with G.inp then,? but they did nothing about that,

They just continued to supply their End users with devices they knew would not work satisfactorily once they have rolled out G.inp ?

either that or the testing they did if any wasn't done properly so didn't show the same failings or the results did show  what customers have reported  but they decided to keep schtum about it, hoping that the end user wouldn't notice ,lol  either way it isn't very good for the EU is it?

0 Ratings
Barry57
Expert
Message 483 of 535

They must of had an idea becasue they there telling openreach engineers back in January the eci would not even work on some lines.

From Kitz's site: {I'd post a link but it always gets reomoved}

"If the replacement modem is ECI (indicated on the box or base of the modem) it’s likely the firmware is incompatible with ReTX and a workaround needs to be applied.  If you complete a DLM reset it will remove the ReTX profile and allow the modem to sync up ....."

The good people over at Kitz's and the guru's on here were warning people about the eci/r which I didn't really grasp at the time.  I Remember Ray_Dorst being quite vocial on using a hg612 3b instead of the eci / hh5a....{Shame Ray's not around as much as I basically just repeat his advice} 😄

Still think that  November court case BT lost ( on the dlm) had a big impact which was more that first thought.

0 Ratings
Sylver123
Expert
Message 484 of 535

I take it those of us using a third party router+modem like the ZyXEL SBG3300 shouldn't

suffer from any of these issue once G.inp has been enabled for our cabinet?

0 Ratings
Barry57
Expert
Message 485 of 535

I'm not sure 100%

Imagine so if there been some updates ?   The Zyxel's vmg seem to very popular over on kitz & pn.

Its such a big can of worms at the moment on what 100% works, what doesn't & what needs an upgrade. 😞

Hence I just stick with recommending the hg612 3b (or the hh5b* if the port issue is fixed?)  as we all know by they just work.....

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 486 of 535

It's not a can of worms at all, either the device supports G.Inp or it doesn't. Currently, I believe all the popular third party devices support G.Inp

0 Ratings
Barry57
Expert
Message 487 of 535

Might be simple to the gurus.. I thinking its a can of worms Smiley Tongue  

Take your device , the tplink only works through the good will of tplink support. 

"supports G.Inp or it doesn't" 

Wont that just apply to broadcom  as I believe  g.inp is proprietary to broadcom?

Its not just if retransmisson works or doesn't, its the tv muilt cast stuff  as well.  

I was looking at the fitzbox for example, which supports downstream retransmission but not the mulit cast stuff when I emailed avm to ask.

Then there is this new  4k streaming which could mess things up again.

If bt mess things up (odds on as it bt)  again you may be back to square one, emailing tplink hoping for fix 😉

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 488 of 535

Forget the multicast stuff that is a totally different thing. G.Inp (G998.4) IS NOT PROPRIETARY it is an ITU standard. Broadcomm implemented their own version early on. Hence a device either supports it or it doesn't. Nothing to do with good will, its commercial sense to implement standards where possible.

0 Ratings
Barry57
Expert
Message 489 of 535

We just agree to deffer : Smiley Happy

As I'm coming from a slighty different angle and viewing the 3rd party products in totality with bt product offerings.

May or may not work with retransmission - May or may not work with mulit cast tv. There is a lot of combinations and easy to get wrong.

Your tpink  device worked with Mulitcast but not Retransmisson.

Easy mistake to make when there are so many pitfalls when viewed in totality. Fingers crossed tplink offer the same next time bt mess up.

With the hg612 3b or hh5b both work with retransmisson & both work with with mulit cast tv. 

Also both being bt based you will receive  serviced based updates / upgrades {even if there not always welcome}.  Not "good will" or "commerical sence" updates, which could change at the drop of a hat if a newer verison more singing and dancing model is realised.

Of course none of this would matter is bt could get things right in the first place!

All of the above is  in good jest & where Ray when you need him 😄

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 490 of 535

@Barry57

are you not on an ECI cab and G.INP is not affecting you at present  you changed because your conenction was dropping with the hh5a and adding the modem has helped with your disconnection problem  at present who knows what is happening with ECI cabs

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings