cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JB2016
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 19

G-Mail Recipient Not Receiving e-Mails - DMARC SPAM Filtering - Outgoing Domain on BT Broadband

Go to solution

When using a client-based e-mail package with a non-BT e-mail account, BT Broadband requires the outgoing e-mail server to be set to “mail.btinternet.com”. The incoming server domain name is different, which until recently has not caused any problem.   It appears from some preliminary research that certain e-mail providers are now using DMARC spam filtering, which may screen out messages if the incoming and outgoing mail server domains are different.  This would explain why my outgoing e-mails to a particular G-mail account are not being received.  What is of most concern is that no error message is sent back from any server to indicate that the e-mail has not been transmitted. 

Solutions are either: (1) use a BT e-mail account and ditch the old one; or (2) use webmail.  Neither are convenient.

Is BT aware of this issue? Is there any other solution? 

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 19

Re: G-Mail Recipient Not Receiving e-Mails - DMARC SPAM Filtering - Outgoing Domain on BT Broadband

Go to solution

I don't know where you get the idea that you can only use mail.btinternet.com as an outgoing server on BT broadband. You can use any SMTP server you have an account on, I use at least 3 different SMTP servers.

0 Ratings
JB2016
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 19

Re: G-Mail Recipient Not Receiving e-Mails - DMARC SPAM Filtering - Outgoing Domain on BT Broadband

Go to solution

The instruction to use mail.btinternet as the outgoing server came some years ago from BT when broadband was first set up.  I have already tried changing the server to the e-mail provider's own (for three different accounts hosted by talktalk formerly tiscali), but attempts to send e-mails result in the following error message.  I have also tried permutations of log-on requirements for the outgoing talktalk server: SSL/Authentication Required/Secure Password Authenication, to no avail.

An unknown error has occurred.

Subject 'Test 1'

Server Error: 554

Server Response: 554 cm1gb1 smtp.talktalk.net ESMTP server not available

Server: 'SMTP.tiscali.co.uk'

Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC6F

Protocol: SMTP

Port: 25

Secure(SSL): No

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 19

Go to solution

That has nothing whatsoever to do with BT Internet. Are you sure you have an account on that server and that the details are correct. BTinternet is just a pipe.

0 Ratings
JB2016
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 19

Go to solution

Liquorice,  Your peremptory replies are unhelpful.  There are numerous older threads on this forum describing a problem sending e-mail for customers using BT Broadband, the solution invariably offered being to use mail.btinternet as the outgoing server.  http://pdoc.co.uk/btbroadband.shtml gives the same solution. 

Admittedly, there is not a problem with BT per se;  the issue is the aggressive spam filtering by G-mail and others which results in rejection of e-mails sent with an outgoing server domain that differs from the incoming server domain name.

You imply that you successfully use multiple non-BT accounts while retaining the original outgoing server domain of each account.   Is BT your broadband provider, or are you with another broadband provider ?  

0 Ratings
jac_95
Guru
Guru
Message 6 of 19

Go to solution
You should be able to use non-BT SMTP servers where you are authenticating using SSL.

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 19

Go to solution

I don't imply, I do. Yes, BT Broadband is my supplier. There is absolutely no reason to use mail.btinternet.com as an outgoing server if you have an account on other servers. I currently send using smtp.gmail.com, auth.smtp.1and1.co.uk and smtp.live.com servers with absolutely no problems at all. Btinternet is just providing a pipe to these servers. Any problems you may be experiencing in using other smtp servers is due to either incorrrect login details or configuration for those servers. The page you link to is 5 years old and refers to sending using BT's servers if you don't have an account onn other smtp servers. Are you sure you still have an account on the servers you are attempting to use.

licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 19

Go to solution

@jac_95 wrote:
You should be able to use non-BT SMTP servers where you are authenticating using SSL.

SSL isn't an authentication mechanism, its an encryption mechanism. You can still authenticate on port 25 without using SSL.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 19

Go to solution

@JB2016  I have just set up one of my 1&1 email accounts to use mail.btinternet.com as an smtp server with 1&1 incoming server and sent succesfully to a Gmail account. Your problem may just be a temporary glitch rather than a general problem.

0 Ratings
jac_95
Guru
Guru
Message 10 of 19

Go to solution

@licquorice
Port 25 can be used for authentication however will be in plan text rather than encrypted. I was just saying that the OP could try using a SSL secured port as some ISPs and Email providers have policies in place to favour this over non encrypted ports.

Edit: Will need to do some research on DMARC to see what headers and domains it's actually verifying along with the DKIM a d SPF record.

@licquorice when you did your test did the outgoing server add it's DKIM and the incoming server mark the email as pass the SPF a d DKIM verification? Do you have a SPF, DKIM and DMARC policy on your 1&1 email?

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
0 Ratings