Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
amanda2310
Beginner
Message 1 of 3

GPO master socket.

Go to solution

My 85 year old Father-in-Law's phone had not been working for a few days so we made the 250 mile return journey thinking it was just a broken phone. We tried a new corded phone with the same result, it rings but all you can hear is interference.

Looked for the master socket to see if that would make a difference and it's still a hard wired black GPO socket that he has had for thirty odd years. Have booked an engineer visit for Monday, (we can't be there), and am wondering how much this will cost?  As far as I remember in the early eighties they replaced these with Plug and Phone and am confused as to why he has never had this done?

Any advice appreciated, thanks.

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 3

Re: GPO master socket.

Go to solution

It should be replaced at no cost to him, as the wiring from the exchange to your phone socket is maintained by Openreach under your existing contract.

The problem is that he will have to get a new phone which has a plug on the end, if the existing one is hard wired.

The Openreach technician may leave things as they are, if there is no suitable phone to plug in, or they may leave a cheap "service" phone for him to use. These phones are very basic, and can be awkward to use.

If you have a really good Openreach technician, they may replace the phone cord with a new modern one, if they have time.

It could of course be a faulty phone, in that case a charge may be raised.

0 Ratings
Devon_Dave
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 3

Re: GPO master socket.

Go to solution

@amanda2310 wrote:

...........We tried a new corded phone with the same result, it rings but all you can hear is interference.

...............it's still a hard wired black GPO socket that he has had for thirty odd years. Any advice appreciated, thanks.

Hi

He may well have black GPO connection block that connects the overhead or underground type cable into an internal type cable.

If you have successfully plugged a new phone in you must have plugged it into the BT socket?

If you have not got the type of socket with an internal test socket by trying another phone, as long as you have unplugged any other equipment that may be plugged in (broadband/sky TV/alarm/ extension cables) you have done as much as you can.

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings