cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 19

Gaming is impossible on BT Infinity.. please help

Gaming is impossible on BT infinity.. I get so much lag in online shooter games its unreal.  I have optimised my connection as much as I can, made sure that my NAT is open etc etc but nothing helps.  P2P activity and downloads are also massively throttled and my connection speeds and latency seems to jump about all over the place.

After many calls and several hours, [and I mean literally hours] on the phone to the Mumbai support team I have got nowwhere..  They just read from a script and cannot actually do anything to help.  On numerous occasions after talking about my specific problems they say things like you are receiving the xxmb dowload that you should be [they really dont understand that I'm not even asking about the general download speed on my line].. BT say they are not throttling my connection but it very much is still being throttled...  Sometimes if I can can stay up unitll 1am the connection seems to go back to normal.. But.. I play online during the evenings and weekends [which is when BT applies throttling to UDP and P2P connections]... My firned has just ditched thier infinty connection due to the same issues and is having an amazing online gaming experience with his new provider who does not throttle in any way or form.. [or lie to him either]..

The only option I have is to now leave BT aswell.. unless some kind soul here on the forum can help sort the problem and remove all throttling/policing from my line.... ??

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 19

Re: Gaming is impossible on BT Infinity.. please help

It all depends when you started your contract. If it was before Feb 2013 and you are on Unlimited Infinity you will be throttled. This package only gives you unlimited upload and download it does not give you unlimited P2P.

If you contracted after Feb 2013 and are on Totally Unlimited Infinity this gives you unlimited upload and download as well as unlimited P2P, ie no throttling.

If you re-contracted you will probably not have been put on Totally Unlimited unless you asked.

You can confirm if you are being throttled by carrying out a Glasnost test.

Use this link

http://broadband.mpi-sws.org/transparency/bttest.php

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 19

Thanks for the reply..  BT say that my new contract runs from Aug 2013, originally signed up in 2012.  

Unfortunately the Glasnost test only tests specific applications on P2P file sharing rather than the online gaming I am referring to..[which probably uses different ports] It would be helpful if someone at BT [not mumbai support, but someone with advanced access] can actually look at my connection profile to make sure it is not being throttled?...

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Expert
Message 4 of 19

You can check it yourself with the glasnost test.
--
To say thanks for a helpful answer, please click the white star
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 19

Glasnost response again.... Not really what i asked..

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 19

Online gaming via P2P uses UDP not TCP protocol,  so unfortunately Glasnos is useless..  Glasnos also states this on their site:   

First, Glasnost currently only supports testing application traffic that uses TCP; at this time UDP is not supported.
Second, our current implementation of Glasnost uses throughput as a measure for performance. This means that Glasnost detects traffic differentiation that affects flow throughput (throttling or blocking). Hence, Glasnost is most suitable to test application traffic that is bandwidth-intensive, such as P2P filesharing, HTTP downloads, etc. Testing for latency-sensitive applications (e.g., Skype, online games) that may be shaped by delaying packets is currently not supported

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Expert
Message 7 of 19

As your contract started before February 2013 you will probably find P2P throttled on the Glasnost test. If it is you will have to move to the Totally Unlimited package to get throttling removed.
--
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Expert
Message 8 of 19

The point is that if P2P is throttled on your connection, then the Glasnost test will show this and thus answer your query.

--
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Message 9 of 19

As far as i'm aware, even before B.T changed their unlimited packages etc. Gaming was white listed on the P2P side, so you should essentially not be throttled at all.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 19

The moderators have been informed of your problem. Once they have read this they may be able to help. They are a BT UK based team and if they can help they will reply via this post.

0 Ratings