cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 147

Gaming problems

Hi, XBox 360 online gaming has been poor on Infinity since day one. A moderator has taken a look a while back and says everythings ok at this end.

Problem is basically that when playing Call of Duty my connection isn't great BUT it's even worse when I'm host. Now, I know all about the lag comp issues in the newer COD games (Black Ops, MW3 and Black Ops 2) which can give people a bad experience online when they're host but I mainly play the older COD 4 and MW2 which don't have these issues yet my connection is pretty bad....especially on host.

I tried connecting the Openreach modem directly to the XBox with the same results.

I have 3 questions

1 - Would replacing the HH3 with a decent router make a difference? Bearing in mind I've tried connecting the modem directly to the Xbox with the same poor results

2 - Would replacing the modem with a decent one make a difference

3 - Can someone with knowledge of online gaming and how it works explain how playing on my host can possibly be worse than off host. Maybe if I actually knew why it was happening it wouldn't be so annoying, lol.

Just to add, all other aspects of my Infinity connection are great, I always get a good 5-8 ping, 66m down- 16m up. Streaming is good, as is download speeds etc.

Thanks

0 Ratings
146 REPLIES 146
Highlighted
Guru
Message 2 of 147

Re: Gaming problems

Hi joey, I think for gaming you might be better off getting a gaming router for better packet priorisation. I have one and it does make a difference. Lag compensation.. right so yes everybody is well aware of it, but what everyone doesn't know is that you still have the slight advantage over the opposing players, albeit they've narrowed gap between hosts and players connecting/connecting.

I've hade my modem replaced by B.T and since then I've had better ping rates (I know yours is exceptional for gaming) and i've seem to have had less issues online and stability.

Black Ops 2 has severe lag comp issues, due to back net code behind the scenes, there is not much unfortunately you can do about that.

Other than that, I would suggest you just reset every so often (not too often), including re-doing the connection test/setup on your Xbox. I find this helps as well.

Hope this helps. 

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 147

Thanks Aarong. I have tried resetting equipment in the past with no improvement and I will try redoing the connection set up on the Xbox. So you think a decent router could improve things even though when I connect the modem directly to the Xbox I get the same issues as when connected via the HH3. I don't know anything about how these things work but when you talk about 'packet prioritisation' wouldn't connecting the Xbox directly to the modem give me that?

Just to explain my issues a bit more, I don't get serious lag where I'm teleporting around the map, it's more about shots not connecting and being 'insta' killed...this is on my host. Once in a while I may get host advantage but that's rare, it's usually pretty poor and because the game recognises I have a good connection I get host a lot, lol. And this is mainly on COD4 and MW2, I very rarely touch the more recent installments. I wouldn't say my connection off host is that great either.

After looking around I did find someone with similar host issues and he was told it could be to do with how his ISP routes his traffic and it would be up to them to fix it, could this be the case?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Message 4 of 147

@joeyblgs wrote:
Thanks Aarong. I have tried resetting equipment in the past with no improvement and I will try redoing the connection set up on the Xbox. So you think a decent router could improve things even though when I connect the modem directly to the Xbox I get the same issues as when connected via the HH3. I don't know anything about how these things work but when you talk about 'packet prioritisation' wouldn't connecting the Xbox directly to the modem give me that?

Just to explain my issues a bit more, I don't get serious lag where I'm teleporting around the map, it's more about shots not connecting and being 'insta' killed...this is on my host. Once in a while I may get host advantage but that's rare, it's usually pretty poor and because the game recognises I have a good connection I get host a lot, lol. And this is mainly on COD4 and MW2, I very rarely touch the more recent installments. I wouldn't say my connection off host is that great either.

After looking around I did find someone with similar host issues and he was told it could be to do with how his ISP routes his traffic and it would be up to them to fix it, could this be the case?

"it's more about shots not connecting and being 'insta' killed...this is on my host". Ok so this part you are explaining here is lag comp, what you see , (if you are not the host), isn't always what is exactly happening in realtime. Effectively if you are the host, you would be seeing everything in real time. 

Sorry I should have explained 'packet priortisation' a bit more. Gaming routers prioritise packets and the connection mostly for gaming. What this means that if any one else is using the internet in your household, you get priority on your Xbox. It also means the type of packets sent and received and for gaming as well, as different things you do I.E downloading, gaming all have different types of packets. Gaming is preferred to be sent in small short bursts, rather than larger ones that you would use for downloading.

Anyway, I don't think connecting directly to modem will give you that much of an advantage, albeit you may see some but not too noticeable. It seems that most of the problems you are having are more to do with the game than anything else, it seems to punish people with better connections these days to put everyone on a fairer playing field.

It could be a routing issue on B.T's side, however, I somewhat doubt it. If it was, you would notice by the games you are searching for etc.

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 147

But I didn't think lag comp was an issue in the earlier COD's. I'm not saying it was or wasn't there but if it was, it was certainly implemented better because on my old AOL connection (don't laugh) if I was host you knew. Lag comp issues apparently started with MW3 with Black Ops 2 carrying it on, some people say Black Ops 1 wasn't that clever.

Like I said I hardly touch the more recent COD's, my issues are with COD 4 and MW2. The problem with me being punished for having a good connection is hard to believe because I know people with similar connections who are not having these problems.

I'm just pretty reluctant to spend money on a new modem/router only for it to not fix anything.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 147

You say you are connecting the Xbox directly to the modem? Do you mean the Openreach Modem or the Home Hub via an Ethernet cable?

How to you normally connect - via Wired or Wi-Fi connection?

----
BT Infinity (EASTF) 58.93/15.94 Mbps [IP Profile: 60.8/20 Mbps] using Openreach Modem & Billion BiPAC 7800N

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 7 of 147

What's your nat type on the Xbox and have you tried clearing the Xbox 360 system cache?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 147

@ Starman, I connect the Xbox via HH3 using an ethernet cable, this is where I'm having my gaming issues. I connected the Xbox directly to the Openreach modem just to see if the problems still persist and they do. I thought with the problem still there when connected direct to the modem that would rule out the router causing the issue.

@ lowei, my Nat type is open and we've tried clearing the system cache which didn't help.

I've also tried putting the Xbox in DMZ on the router which didn't help.

I recall a thread on here regarding alternative routers and someone posted a link to a site that sell routers where you can try them and if you're not happy you can send them back, does anyone know of the site I'm referring to?

Thanks all

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 9 of 147

Have you ever had the Xbox connected with wireless ?
If the wireless settings are still stored in xbox there can be a conflict causing the xbox to constantly switch between wired and wireless slowing download speeds and causing all sorts of problems.

Connect wireless and remove the network settings, then power-off and connect using wired and reconfigure - as it will not let you into wireless settings while Ethernet is plugged in.

Or factory reset router and turn UPnP on.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Message 10 of 147

@joeyblgs wrote:

But I didn't think lag comp was an issue in the earlier COD's. I'm not saying it was or wasn't there but if it was, it was certainly implemented better because on my old AOL connection (don't laugh) if I was host you knew. Lag comp issues apparently started with MW3 with Black Ops 2 carrying it on, some people say Black Ops 1 wasn't that clever.

Like I said I hardly touch the more recent COD's, my issues are with COD 4 and MW2. The problem with me being punished for having a good connection is hard to believe because I know people with similar connections who are not having these problems.

I'm just pretty reluctant to spend money on a new modem/router only for it to not fix anything.

As you said, it was probably implemented a little better in the old version of the games, the newer games they've tweaked it due to putting people on a fairer ground online.

In all honesty, I still have the Openreach modem and it serves me fine, the only thing else to really suggest without seeing the problem first hand is to maybe invest in a gaming router and see if that helps. Your choice of course.

In my honest opinion, I wouldn't do online gaming without one, it does make that much of a difference for me.

0 Ratings