Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
robert1997
Aspiring Expert
Message 121 of 1,295

Re: Get ready for your brand-new BT TV experience

@zulu17

re 'resuming recording' : You are correct although I didn't see it 1st time I used it. I think it would help if it was in bolder text or maybe a darker colour so it stands out from the background colour. It blends in a little and can be a little difficult to see. As for selecting Play and Pause, I havdn't tried that but now that I've tested it I can see it now. I still feel the old way was better where the options were presented before you began playback.

Just wondering if you have any musings on any of the other issues I encountered? Interested to hear if anyone else has the issue in the 'scheduled recordings' screen with the 'hidden' tile etc...

@LesC

I can't see any way to edit that function. Don't really see the need for it in the 1st place but it would be nice if you could edit it for 'favourite' channels.

0 Ratings
zulu17
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 122 of 1,295

@LesC No  you cannot set your own channels on the list that appear  on NOW when you press the Youview button or on restarting.

However if you are watching a live channel.   Pressing the left < or right > button will bring up the ON NOW and Next 10 programmes on that channel . You can navigate up and down the channels  quickly one channel at a time  showing the NOW  & Next for the channels whilst continuing to watch the current channel or  by typing in a channel number  will show the NOW & Next for that channel number again whilst continuing to watch the current channel.

zulu17
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 123 of 1,295

@robert1997  There has been an issue identified on the Youview community relating to how Series Recordings appear on the SCHDEDULED section of MY TV.

As far as I recall  what was occurring  was if  a  scheduled recording was set up directly on the Youview box a single  picture tile entry for the new Series Record was set up. However if a mobile device App ( e.g. Youview app or BT TV app) was used to set a new Series Record then two tiles entries appeared to be created which because only one had an image  looked like one tile plus a blank tile but not really empty (try using the info I button on the tile) I would point you to  the discussion on the Youview community but I can't immediately see where it is ..

I believe the anomaly clears itself after the first recording of the series occurs .. so that after that point you see one picture tile entry for the next episode in the series.

UPdate found the discussion on the Youview community.

https://community.youview.com/youview/topics/next-gen-tile-images

Specifically Roy's post

"Another cause of blank tiles, for your list Sanj, is when you record a Series from the iOS or Android app. Until the first programme has been shown, you will see a picture tile for that one programme, and a blank tile for the series.

Things return to normal - one picture tile, for the series - after the first programme has been recorded. Or maybe after that recording has been started - I don't know the exact timing of the changeover.

Obviously, the fix is to make scheduling from the app work like scheduling from the box, where we no longer see the pair of tiles for a series ...,"

And the Youview community  rep Sanj posted earlier today .

"Thanks for highlighting this one Roy, it does sound like a bug. We'll pass this onto the Mobile Team to look into and get back to you when we know more.,"

0 Ratings
LesC
Expert
Message 124 of 1,295

@zulu17 wrote:

@LesC No  you cannot set your own channels on the list that appear  on NOW when you press the Youview button or on restarting.

However if you are watching a live channel.   Pressing the left < or right > button will bring up the ON NOW and Next 10 programmes on that channel . You can navigate up and down the channels  quickly one channel at a time  showing the NOW  & Next for the channels whilst continuing to watch the current channel or  by typing in a channel number  will show the NOW & Next for that channel number again whilst continuing to watch the current channel.

Thanks for that - even better!  I'm rather likng this new update 😉

0 Ratings
robert1997
Aspiring Expert
Message 125 of 1,295

@zulu17  Many thanks for your input.

In my case the recording was set up directly on the box. I don't use apps to set up remote records at any time. The tile was presented correctly on 1st glance but on exiting and returning to the scheduled list the tile behaviour has changed. The behaviour is as you described but the tile image is also reduced in that 1st tile although the highlighted 'complete tile' is still large (quite a bit of empty space). This anomaly is obviously not now related solely to recordings set by app BUT ALSO by recordings set directly on the box so I'd say this points to the tile anomaly being a bigger issue than 1st reported on the thread you highlighted.

To simplify what I'm trying to get over I shall copy and paste your info BUT remove what is now irrelevant to me. Hopefully that will explain better what I'm attempting to get across: "a scheduled recording was set up directly on the Youview box and a single picture tile entry for the new Series Record was set up. However on returning to the scheduled recordings page two tiles entries have been created which because only one had an image looks like one tile plus a blank tile but not really empty (using the info I button on the tile brings up info for this series recording).

The 'blank' tile would appear to be there in the same way the duplicate 'series record' entry used to be an entry in the old style scheduled page, again until the 1st recording was triggered at which stage all subsequent recordings in the series appeared as single entries onscreen.

Personally I would like to see all the tiles on these pages being the same size with each tile, when highlighted, zooming to a slightly bigger size to bring it in to focus, rather than the way it is now where only the 1st tile is big and the rest smaller..

0 Ratings
yesmaybe
Beginner
Message 126 of 1,295

My box just updated this evening.

It is early days but he like the update.

I have only read the previous comment where robert1997 says there is bad feedback. I think people just don't like change.

When viewing details there is more displayed no need for 'read more' which is a good thing. Most of the controls act in the same way I have found.

I didn't have an issue with the previous display, the black one. The blue one has more fade and more blank area but seems ok.

One negative on down arrow is current channel and next four channels shows not wide enough, the programme title is shown as 15 characters, which for many is not sufficient. Should be wider here.

But what I do have an issue with is the remote.
There is no 'go back to previous channel' so you can't have a quick peak and then return to the show you were on. But more importantly because I always press the wrong button. The remote is so badly designed and the buttons are too close, especially when the lights are out. The down and back button are too close, as are the guide (my favourite button) and one, which results in far too many wrong clicks and frustration.. hence this speil. .

0 Ratings
robert1997
Aspiring Expert
Message 127 of 1,295

@yesmaybeI've got nothing against change, never have, but only when the change makes sense. I've tested software for a different provider in the past and just like this 'update' I've always been keen to see and receive the changes as early as possible.

There are a number of operational things I've highlighted which I don't feel are being implemented correctly. Its not about how a thing looks per se but how the elements which make up that 'look' help or hinder the average viewer.

Among the backward steps in functionality I've already posted on today is the implementation of 'tiles'. At least in the old software you could read the full title of an entry inside the recordings menus. Any title over roughly 8 letters long is lost in the 'tile'. Anyone with a large number of entries is eventually going to get frustrated, especially with shows which are titled 'New:.....'.

I would suggest heading over to the Youview Community Forums to read a long list of failings in this version of YV software. Thankfully I have a Humax Freesat pvr which will now be my main box again as I've already marked the end of the BT TV contract into my diary.

0 Ratings
sd99
Contributor
Message 128 of 1,295

My initial thoughts...  It does look nice, clear and modern, but there are a lot of irritants.

TV Guide - the day/date highlight at the top isn't obvious if your eyesight isn't great (cyan changing to white) - they should maybe put a square around the day/date.

TV Guide - I can no longer remove the **bleep**+shopping channels from the guide (not great if you have kids).

TV Guide - Pressing Info no longer lists 'more episodes' that I can watch.

MyTV - Too many button presses to get there.  Since the guide has it's own dedicated remote button, the first item in the menu should be MyTV.

MyTV - Recordings is very cluttered now and hard to find things.

MyTV - You can't see how many episodes are recorded at a glance - you have to highlight every item to see.

MyTV - The show name is truncated too short to read some of the shows.  i.e. "New: Release th...", "The Secrets of Y...", "New: Marvel's A..." - not great.

MyTV - Selecting say Homeland, lists all 8 recordings, but it highlights the most recent.  So when I want to watch it I have to select it, press left 7 times, then OK.

MyTV - After watching the show, pressing 'back' doesn't take you to the list of grouped recordings, but to the main MyTV page - so if you want to delete what I just watched, I have to select Homeland again, press left 7 times again, and then delete...  irritating.

MyTV - I've had some odd effects.  Some missing tiles, the first large scheduled recordings tile had two shows in it - one n the top corner, one in the bottom middle - very odd.

MyTV - You can no longer press 'record' on scheduled recordings to switch from episode to series record and vice versa.  Pressing delete doesn't even ask for confirmation any more.

0 Ratings
EweViewer
Aspiring Contributor
Message 129 of 1,295

@robert1997 wrote:

I would suggest heading over to the Youview Community Forums to read a long list of failings in this version of YV software. Thankfully I have a Humax Freesat pvr which will now be my main box again as I've already marked the end of the BT TV contract into my diary.

Here's the list : https://community.youview.com/youview/topics/youview-next-gen-first-impressions?topic-reply-list%5Bs...

0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 130 of 1,295

What criteria is being used for the rollout? Is it for example being done alphabetically​? Seems to be an odd type of rollout release.
0 Ratings