Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
billytwiglet
Aspiring Contributor
Message 841 of 1,295

Re: Get ready for your brand-new BT TV experience

Hot News!

Youview wins yet another award!

I sat down today and reviewed in detail all the benefits and enhancements that the new youview upgrade has contributed to my viewing experience. It didn't take long.

My thumb has gained strength and muscular definition because I now have to scroll (one way) through 180 channels including all the sd/hd duplicates and the ones I haven't subscribed to or don't want to see.

So, on to the award which today I present jointly to youview and BT, for:-

'outstanding contribution to physical fitness of remote thumbs'

Many congratulations. Please come round and I'll present it in person.

Now, can I have the 'hide channel' function back please? I have asked bt and youview (who's fault it is) but they say nothing is going to change.

Going out to buy my own box this evening and then I'll ditch BT.

)-:

JMB
Expert
Message 842 of 1,295

I agree with what seems to be most other posts, I hate the software change to the YouView box.

I normally have a look through the evenings programmes to see what I want to record, whilst watching the news on the thumbnail display in the corner of the screen.  Now I just a background of the current programme but it is too dark to see so of no use at all and not adjustable.

Then went to Guide, that is not changed much except it scrolls if I move to the top line.  Just an annoyance perhaps.

I then checked to see what had been recorded the previous evening, a horrible display of thumbnails that is much more difficult to read than the previous list and not as convenient to move around between pages.

Also there is some sill system of putting some useless information on the bottom half of the screen.

I presume BT are copying one of the satellite or streaming companies but it is a terrible sytem.  Would be possible to have a setting so we can display to the old display?

----
MB
----
0 Ratings
JMB
Expert
Message 843 of 1,295

I presume they have not bothered to fix the most annoying failing of the YouView box, recordings of programmes often cut off the end of the programme especially if it is running late.

Unlike most PVRs, there is no way to adjust the times of the recording or make it record some extra time at the start or end.

----
MB
----
MJH62
Aspiring Expert
Message 844 of 1,295

@JMB wrote:

I presume they have not bothered to fix the most annoying failing of the YouView box, recordings of programmes often cut off the end of the programme especially if it is running late.

Unlike most PVRs, there is no way to adjust the times of the recording or make it record some extra time at the start or end.

Re. your previous post, itt's NOT BT that has made these changes, its YouView. 

You should vent your frustration at broadcasters as they are responsible for the recordings ending before a programme finishes. The inability to pad pad recordings is not available on my Humax Freesat box and as far as I know also on the Sky Q or old SKy+ boxes. TalkTalk has the same software as BT, so what are the "most pvrs" that you refer to? 

0 Ratings
jackrobin
Contributor
Message 845 of 1,295

@MJH62 

@

Padding is available on all Freesat pvr boxes including my Humax Freesat pvr and on Humax Freeview pvr boxes. Youview have refused to implement this even though its been the most requested feature for 4 years now. Can't answer on Sky Q but the Sky+ boxes had padding from their earliest days.

It's like being in primary school in here. RD.
MJH62
Aspiring Expert
Message 846 of 1,295

Re: New BT Vision update is terrible

@srpsrp wrote:

@MJH62 wrote:

@srpsrp wrote:

There is a steady stream of BT customers coming here to complain about the same things every day ! Shall we send a petition to some one at BT who can do something about it ? Is there a CEO or something. When I was with Sky people would say they'd sent letters to Jeremy Murdoch ( who ever ) LOL

Yes, maybe close to 100 people now. "Massive" isn't it.

but why is there a need to upset any one ? For the sake of a little more care and a few more menu options 

I think there are only two logical possible explainations.

1. BT is looking the other way, financial pension crises, openreach sell off, focus on broadband what ever

2. Content providers need to be placated since Sky being undercut and Sky pay the bills

ho hum 

Utter nonsense. Firstly, BT is not responsible for the changes, it is only a shareholder of YouView, which has designed the update. Secondly, to suggest there is a link to this update to the Openreach and other scenarios you list shows you have pretty poor grasp of how businesses like BT operate. Finally, I know you think otherwise, but the update has actually been well received by the vast majority of end users. The changes in functionality are, in the main, just changes and whilst some look like they will be restored such as the ability to hide channels, most are just different and you will get used to them over time. There are some gross exaggerations on this forum from some people who have no sense of perspective, as if their quality of life has been diminished or their personal liberty has been infringed. It's only a PVR box FFS that records programmes, gives us access to subsciption channels, prime sport, etc and that has not changed with this update. 

srpsrp
Expert
Message 847 of 1,295

Re: New BT Vision update is terrible

@MJH62 wrote:

@srpsrp wrote:

@MJH62 wrote:

@srpsrp wrote:

There is a steady stream of BT customers coming here to complain about the same things every day ! Shall we send a petition to some one at BT who can do something about it ? Is there a CEO or something. When I was with Sky people would say they'd sent letters to Jeremy Murdoch ( who ever ) LOL

Yes, maybe close to 100 people now. "Massive" isn't it.

but why is there a need to upset any one ? For the sake of a little more care and a few more menu options 

I think there are only two logical possible explainations.

1. BT is looking the other way, financial pension crises, openreach sell off, focus on broadband what ever

2. Content providers need to be placated since Sky being undercut and Sky pay the bills

ho hum 

Utter nonsense. Firstly, BT is not responsible for the changes, it is only a shareholder of YouView, which has designed the update. Secondly, to suggest there is a link to this update to the Openreach and other scenarios you list shows you have pretty poor grasp of how businesses like BT operate. Finally, I know you think otherwise, but the update has actually been well received by the vast majority of end users. The changes in functionality are, in the main, just changes and whilst some look like they will be restored such as the ability to hide channels, most are just different and you will get used to them over time. There are some gross exaggerations on this forum from some people who have no sense of perspective, as if their quality of life has been diminished or their personal liberty has been infringed. It's only a PVR box FFS that records programmes, gives us access to subsciption channels, prime sport, etc and that has not changed with this update. 

I actaully have some apreciation of good design and usability and a lot a the changes are simply bad as I have already explained. It should at the very least still play back recordings, my box is not even doing that at the moment, getting 6029 errors. This looks likely to mean another update which I suspect will cause even more errors. It's no way to run a platform like this, perhaps BT should fork off their own YouView software and call in some professionals,  let who ever is doing this shambles get on with it.

0 Ratings
JMB
Expert
Message 848 of 1,295

@MJH62 wrote:

@JMB wrote:

Re. your previous post, itt's NOT BT that has made these changes, its YouView. 

You should vent your frustration at broadcasters as they are responsible for the recordings ending before a programme finishes. The inability to pad pad recordings is not available on my Humax Freesat box and as far as I know also on the Sky Q or old SKy+ boxes. TalkTalk has the same software as BT, so what are the "most pvrs" that you refer to? 

It was supplied by BT and BT must be their biggest customer so would have thought they would have some clout.

----
MB
----
0 Ratings
ruth554422
Expert
Message 849 of 1,295

Bt are not a customer of youview they are a shareholder.
0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 850 of 1,295

New software unacceptable. 

Keep finger on delete for a milli-second too long and you lose not just one but two or more programme recordings, as I did. Bring back "are you sure you want to delete y/n".

No longer possible to hide via yellow button all channels that are of no interest (the majority). I had to scroll through 40+ pages of channels to reach the one that was of interest as I am not sad enough to memorise all channel numbers.

The use of pics instead of words to identify scheduled progs and recordings does not work practically. The prog name can be shown as "new: sal...". What use is that to me? 

It is all clearly designed by a bright young thing in Marketing who is not in their sixties and could care less, I suspect, so long as it looks cool. Style over substance springs to mind, as does if it aint broke don't fix it.

I will give it a bit longer before closing account if no improvements made to the functionality.

0 Ratings