cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
junglejim
Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Getting BT Business Homehub from Amazon, is it fine to do this?

getting really annoyed at my standard Bt home hub cutting out ll the time, and BT never really solving the problem.

Whats the deal with buying a business hub from amazon.co.uk. Does this mean i get a new wifi password? I guess its not really a legit thing to do, are there any reasons i shouldn't do this?

ay advice from you experts appreciated!

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Pilot25dmc
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 12

Re: Getting BT Business Homehub from Amazon, is it fine to do this?

You can use whatever modem/router you want with BT, I used a Netgear router for over 2 years until the HH3 came out.

If you buy the business hub it will have a different security password to the one you are using now but you can change it to whatever password you like in the settings.

I would try the HH3, I have been using it for a week now and have been VERY impressed.
0 Ratings
minusdot
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 12

What do you mean by "cutting out"? Do you mean dropping your wireless connection? Is it a HH2 and do you have ADSL2 or Infinity giving you more than 8Mbps?

Also, do you use the hub phones?

Every new hub should have a different wifi password. But you can change that anyway.

0 Ratings
junglejim
Contributor
Message 4 of 12

i have a BT homehub 2 i think, all my speeds are up to scratch i believe. but the wireless keep cutting out and hten coming back, but my telephone line is always on. BT seem to think it might be something at Exchange, they always fix it for a few days then it gets bad again. So a HH3 is a business hub?

Its also cuts out my wifi when i try and play Call of Duty and Tiger Woods seems to cut out on Hole 9 on online. I guess HH3 would be better for this.

Am i within my rights to ask BT to send me a better router / buesiness homehub, or is it just as good to buy one from Amazon?

thanks for your help on this

0 Ratings
Pilot25dmc
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 12

I can't comment on the business hub as I don't have one but as a HH3 user I can confirm that it's a great modem/router. Over the last week it's been very stable with zero wireless dropouts. I do a lot of online gaming so this router gets a thumbs up from me.

Give BT a phone (should be a laugh) and ask them to send you the HH3, as a current customer you are entitled to one at half price, with all your current problems you just might get a free one.
0 Ratings
junglejim
Contributor
Message 6 of 12

thanks pilot for your help, ho long have HH3 been on market then? Think ive been on BT about 9 months or so

0 Ratings
NilSatisOptimum
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 12

Would it be possible to post your stats from router and do a Bt speed. I'm bit confused as to your problem. 

Also the Bt Business Hub 2700hvg, is very good at hanging on to long unstable lines, also the wireless is pretty good.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/routers/2wire_2700_HGV.htm

To post the full stats from your  Hub
For homehub - 192.168.1.254
Navigate to ADSL Settings or use the A-Z at the top right
Click on More Details and then post the results.
Run Bt speed tester and post the results from
http://speedtester.bt.com/

Mortgage Advisor 2000-2008
Green Energy Advisor 2008-2010
Charity Health Care Provider Advisor 2010-
I'm alright Jack....
0 Ratings
Pilot25dmc
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 12

Think they started shipping them about a week or so ago. End of February anyway.

As I said before, I was using a Netgear 3300 Wireless-N router and other than the fancy bells and whistles in it's programming the new HH3 beats it hands down at reliability.
0 Ratings
junglejim
Contributor
Message 9 of 12

yes ive done this...

download speech was 3317 and max acievable 4000. i think between 1200 - 4000 is fine

DSL connection is 5179 downstream and 963 upsteam

basically the wireless drops in and out, the exchange are going to check their cabling i think

0 Ratings
NilSatisOptimum
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 12

It would be beneficial if you posted the stats of the Hub and the speed test.

Mortgage Advisor 2000-2008
Green Energy Advisor 2008-2010
Charity Health Care Provider Advisor 2010-
I'm alright Jack....
0 Ratings