cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 13

Getting BT sport without fibre...

I have BT adsl2, BT Youview and BT Sport.  I can watch the sports in HD quite happily via my laptop, but the channels are not listed on my youview box.  I asked the online chat who said I could get it, then spent 30mins on the phone to be told, that I cannot, unless I spend £130 a year more to upgrade to fibre.

My question is why can't I get it?  The youview box just takes a standard ethernet connection, there's nothing special about it.  Why does it matter how my broadband is delivered?

Ironcally I may have to move from BT TV to Sky, just to get BT Sport...

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 13

Re: Getting BT sport without fibre...

Without Sky, ADSL customers can only get BT Sport on Freeview with a viewing card (except in a few legacy cases), and the YouView box doesn't have a card slot. So you need a Vision+ box, but even that is no longer an option as the DTT service being withdrawn some time this week, for new customers at least.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
Highlighted
Guru
Message 3 of 13

Hi, a bit more info here

Stew

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 13

The option to get BT Sport on a BT Vision+ box via Freeview is being withdrawn to new customers on the 25th January.

It's not available on ADSL lines because BT have chosen not to implement multicast on ADSL, only on Infinity.  It's not clear why they have made this decision, but is may be because Infinity has a minimum speed of 15M, which is always fast enough for TV, whereas ADSL could be as low as 0.5M.  So there would always be a substantial number of borderline cases of people whose speed may or may not be good enough, depending on the weather or the time of day.

In any case, so far as BT are concerned, ADSL is obsolete, and they are putting all their efforts into Infinity.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 13

@Ectophile wrote:

The option to get BT Sport on a BT Vision+ box via Freeview is being withdrawn to new customers on the 25th January.

It's not available on ADSL lines because BT have chosen not to implement multicast on ADSL, only on Infinity.  It's not clear why they have made this decision, but is may be because Infinity has a minimum speed of 15M, which is always fast enough for TV, whereas ADSL could be as low as 0.5M.  So there would always be a substantial number of borderline cases of people whose speed may or may not be good enough, depending on the weather or the time of day.

In any case, so far as BT are concerned, ADSL is obsolete, and they are putting all their efforts into Infinity.

I thought the answer was widely known to be that the L2 switches required for multicast are only installed when an exchange is upgraded to support Infinity.

Thus some people who have ADSL2+ on an exchange that has Infinity (e.g. their cabinet doesn't support FTTC or if they previously had Sky Sports) have been able to get multicast over their ADSL2+ connection.

However if your exchange has no FTTC you can't get it simply because the necessary equipment isn't there for multicast.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Message 6 of 13

Colin, I agree. Which is why some customers on ADSL lines were able to get Sky Sports over broadband when it was removed from the DTT slot.

However, BT have now stated that as from the 25th no new customer can get any sport either BT or Sky over DTT. Presumably because they want to give up the DTT channels at some time in the future.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 13

@StewM wrote:
Colin, I agree. Which is why some customers on ADSL lines were able to get Sky Sports over broadband when it was removed from the DTT slot.

However, BT have now stated that as from the 25th no new customer can get any sport either BT or Sky over DTT. Presumably because they want to give up the DTT channels at some time in the future.

Although there have been some cryptic comments in articles about this change stating that BT have been testing other ways in which people in non-Infinity areas can get BT Sport. I am guessing this will be a Unicast solution (maybe SD only) when the Youview software is updated to support it later in the year.

But for the time being, as of yesterday (Saturday 25th), the only way to get BT Sport on your TV as a new customer is via an Infinity connection with Youview, via a Sky box, or perhaps by rigging up a laptop via HDMI and mirroring the online app full screen.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 8 of 13

@Colin_London wrote:

I thought the answer was widely known to be that the L2 switches required for multicast are only installed when an exchange is upgraded to support Infinity.

Thus some people who have ADSL2+ on an exchange that has Infinity (e.g. their cabinet doesn't support FTTC or if they previously had Sky Sports) have been able to get multicast over their ADSL2+ connection.

However if your exchange has no FTTC you can't get it simply because the necessary equipment isn't there for multicast.

My exchange provides ADSL for me at approx 19-20MB, and offers FTTP at up to 330MB and fibre multicast.  I just thought it may also work over ADSL as I had heard rumours that some customers had this.

Incidentally when I asked the agent what I get for my £5 a month (BT TV) she replied "recording facilities and access to catch up services".  She also said I'd lose those if I cancelled my BT TV Essentials package and the Humax YouView box would basically turn into a basic freeview box that would only let me watch live TV.  I'm not convinced she was telling me the truth about that, but it wouldn't surprise me if BT had added an upgrade to the box to do just that.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Message 9 of 13

You are right not to be convinced. She is talking through her hat.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 13

sd99 wrote:
My exchange provides ADSL for me at approx 19-20MB, and offers FTTP at up to 330MB and fibre multicast.  I just thought it may also work over ADSL as I had heard rumours that some customers had this.
Some eligible customers were given an ADSL multicast service around Jun/July/Aug last year when Sky Sports over the aerial ceased and BT Sport started up. It's a temporary workaround by invitation only though and BT made it clear that if the customer stops the service they can't get it back again. It's only five SD sports channels and as far as I'm aware has only ever been set up on BT Vision+ boxes. So no, you can't order it for Youview. Smiley Sad

Incidentally when I asked the agent what I get for my £5 a month (BT TV) she replied "recording facilities and access to catch up services".  She also said I'd lose those if I cancelled my BT TV Essentials package and the Humax YouView box would basically turn into a basic freeview box that would only let me watch live TV.  I'm not convinced she was telling me the truth about that, but it wouldn't surprise me if BT had added an upgrade to the box to do just that.

Lots of info on this thread.

https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-box/So-who-has-cancelled-their-BT-vision-sub/td-p/1041126

0 Ratings