Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 7

Getting Ready for Migration - Problem with BT ID

Hi,

I have read several e-mails from a recent thread on the forum which suggest that Migration of BT Yahoo e-mail accounts to the BT Mail service might resume sometime soon, and may even be completed by the end of April. Whether that will be so or not I guess we will have to wait and see. However, just in case, and for my account to be as ready as it can be, I need clarification of a particular potential problem.

I used to have two phone lines, let us say Line 1 and line 2. Now I only have one 'active' line (Line 1). Line 2 was cancelled a long time ago and my Broadband transferred to Line 1.

The above two lines had two seperate BT ID's (e-mail addresses). One being my Primary e-mail address which is one that ends @btinternet.com, but this remains the BT ID attached to Line 2 (the cancelled line).

The second BT ID, for Line 1, now my only line, has a User Name (e-mail address) which ends @gmail.com. The use of this e-mail address as the User Name was configured by a person on the BT Support Desk several years ago, when trying to resolve an issue at the time.

This morning I tried to change the User Name (e-mail address) on my BT ID for Line 1, so that it has the correct Primary e-mail address (ending @btinternet.com), I was unable to do so as the system said that this e-mail was already in use on another account (see above re cancelled line 2).

I can presently see no way that I can remove/delete/edit the account that covers the old cancelled line, so that it 'frees up' the use of my Primary e-mail address (@btinternet.com), enabling me to use it as the BT ID on my only remaining line (Line 1).

Is there a way I can cancel/delete/remove the now unused account? If not, is there a way for me to edit my Profile on Line 1, so that I can use my correct Primary e-mail as the ID, in preparation for the migration?

I apologise if this sound messy, but I want my account to be as 'clean' as possible, so that there are no potential problems when it finally comes to migration taking place.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Alan

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Getting Ready for Migration - Problem with BT ID

I don't think there is anything that you can do yourself, hopefully one of the mods will pick this up and provide assistance.

Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 7

Very many thanks for your comment. If the Mods can help that will be great.

Regards,

Alan

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 4 of 7

Hi AlanF,

We should be able to sort this for you, please use the 'contact the mods' link in my forum profile under the 'about me' section to send in your details. You can find the link by clicking on my username.

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 5 of 7

My advice, based on using this forum, and of phoning BT, is to phone BT.
I don't know why some people complain about having to contact a 'call centre in India'; we've always found them to be courteous, helpful and knowledgeable.

If you'd phoned yesterday, the problem would be sorted by now.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 7

Hi,

First of all, thanks to whiskywheels for the well-intended suggestion. I appreciated the thought, but in my experience there is not a chance that just a phone call to BT Support whould have solved the problem. It was BT Phone Support that in part are responsible for creating the problem I now find myself with.

However, the reason for my coming back on this is to say that I had a phone call this afternoon from a MOD who I am absolutely certain was trying to be honest and helpful. The upshot of what she said is that no useful purpose would be served by changing my BT ID, as I only have one BT ID, not two as I intimated in my first e-mail in this thread (see message 1 of this thread for an explanation).

I do have two accounts (one live - with the only phone line I have) and (one dead and now unused, although I can still access its information in MyBT).

Following the MOD's advice, having nothing to this effect in writing, I will try not to quote her exactly (I don't want to fall foul of breaking any BT rules etc), but my understanding was that my Primary e-mail address, and several sub-accounts are all 'linked' to one BT ID she said I have, the one that ends ...........@gmail.com .

My reason for raising this in the first place was to be as prepared as I can be for Migration to BT Mail when it finally comes along.

I have however to admit to now being really confused. Maybe it is the case that I have confused what is an ID, and the use of e-mail addresses as an ID. What I mean by that is as follows:

Using the e-mail tab on the BT.Com homepage the login asks for BT ID or Email Address, and then a Password. If I then use the one BT ID I am told that I have, then subseqently add the current e-mail password, I get a message which says "We don't recognise your details. Please check you've entered your full email address and password correctly and try again."

When I try inputting my primary e-mail address (instead of the BT ID), and then the e-mail password as before (which did work ok this afternnon, but now will not) I currently get the predictable request to change my password. It's a nightmare to say the least, and fills me with no confidence whatsoever for when that fateful day of Migration finally arrives.

If the login that comes up after pressing the e-mail tab asks for a BT ID, why will that not work, if as the MOD says I only have one BT ID not the two that I had thought. I could go on, but I am sure you get the point, confusion reigns!

I would have much preferred that my BT ID was the same as my primary e-mail address, but the MOD in question said 'to the effect' that it was not necessary.

Any thoughts or advice??

Regards,

AlanF

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 7 of 7

Much sympathy for your plight.  I had exactly the same issue, though in my case when the broadband was transferred to Line 1 I was given a new ...@btinternet.com address which I never used and never found out the password for.  I ignored it until I had the same concerns as you.  After phoning BT I *eventually* got all the addresses made sub addresses of this new one and was given anew password which I changed to something memorable.  I keep my fingers crossed.  Also just one of these sub addresses - the one which my wife uses - suffers from the dreadful false "unusual activity detected" problem which has been much reported on this forum and elsewhere. (I'm still on BT-Yahoo)

I suggest you phone BT and get assigned a new Primary Email address which will become your BT ID, and all your other addresses become sub addresses of that.  It seemed to be a job of a few seconds for the Indian guy who dealt with email issues.

If it wern't such a hassle changing my email address for other online services I use, I'd happily ditch BT email.

regards,

Mike

0 Ratings