Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
timallen
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

Getting Windows 7 to remember setting

Go to solution

I am using a laptop with a hard wired connection to a BT Hub5 on Windows 7. Frequently when I switch on the computer, it appears to make two connections, one to the Hub5 and the other to an 'unknown network'. When this happens, there is actually no internet access. I can work round this by disabling and then re-enabling the network card in the laptop but it is not ideal as others use the laptop and can't do this.

Does anyone have any ideas why this is happening and how it can be rresolved? The network card is listed in the Network and Sharing Center as a Realtek PCIe Family Connector.

Any suggestions very welcome!

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Getting Windows 7 to remember setting

Go to solution

Untick IPv6 on the network properties page for the Local Area Connection. Or do it this way

Select Start

• In the Start Search field type ncpa.cpl and press the Enter key on your keyboard.
  • In the new window, right-click on your Local Area Connection  and select Properties.
  • In the This connection uses the following items section, remove the tick beside (i.e. disable) Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6) and then press OK.

Left click on Internet Protocol IPV4, click on properties. Check the options to obtain IP address and DNS Server address automatically.

timallen
Beginner
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution

Many thanks Keith. That seems ot have done the trick. Thanks very much for your help.

Tim

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

@timallen wrote:

Many thanks Keith. That seems ot have done the trick. Thanks very much for your help.

Tim

Excellent Smiley Happy

The home hubs do not like IPv6 DHCP requests.

0 Ratings