cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Getting YouView on Tuesday. 500Mpbs Powerline upgrade worth it?

Getting the latest BT powerline adapters. The Arcnet ones on Tuesday with the YV box. But they only support 200mpbs. I will sign up for the 18 extra channels when the YV software update that supports it arrives (I'm on Infinity 2 and my exchange is multi-cast enabled).

Should I be happy with these adapters? Or should I just fork out £30 for the 500mpbs TP adapters?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 2 of 7

Re: Getting YouView on Tuesday. 500Mpbs Powerline upgrade worth it?

I've been checking aome stuff and according to a BT help page,

"you can't watch Extra TV channels if you use Powerline Adapters. You'll need to make sure your BT Vision+ box and BT Home Hub are connected using an Ethernet cable."

Which sounds like a crock to me, unless the YouView box is different.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 7

BT do indeed say that they will not support Powerline adapters if you want the streaming channels. I would suspect this to be the same for YouView.

Most people will have no problems streaming the channels using Powerline adapters, so if you want to risk it, then that is your choice, but if you do have any issues, then you will be stuck.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 7

@drhowells wrote:

BT do indeed say that they will not support Powerline adapters if you want the streaming channels. I would suspect this to be the same for YouView.

Most people will have no problems streaming the channels using Powerline adapters, so if you want to risk it, then that is your choice, but if you do have any issues, then you will be stuck.

So you can't use Wifi, and they don't recommend adaptors. Everyone who has their router miles from their telly (or in a different room like me) is therefore up the swanny, unless we run cat5 through walls and round skirtingboards.

Remind me what century we're in?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 7

I can't speak for Youview as it does not yet receive the multicast channels until a sw upgrade. However the BT Vision+ box seemed to work perfectly well across Solwise 500 homeplugs when viewing the extra channels and the BT Sport HD channel placeholders.

I suspect and hope that the YV box will be no different.

If you don't mind forking out 30 quid, get the 500Mbps homeplugs.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 7

@Red_Snow wrote:
I can't speak for Youview as it does not yet receive the multicast channels until a sw upgrade. However the BT Vision+ box seemed to work perfectly well across Solwise 500 homeplugs when viewing the extra channels and the BT Sport HD channel placeholders.

I suspect and hope that the YV box will be no different.

If you don't mind forking out 30 quid, get the 500Mbps homeplugs.

I should add that the powerline adapter worked well for YOU. Every house is different and could have different results. That is the problem that BT face and why they have said they don't support it.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 7

I'm struggling to see where I stated that BT support homeplugs, I merely stated that they work for me on a BT Vision box for multucast and fine on both types of box for VOD.

I should add that my network load is quite high across homeplugs with NAS <> IP Cams also ...... the 500s are doing pretty well.

0 Ratings