Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rimibar
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

Getting an Avaya VOIP phone to work with HomeHub5

Hi,

I've been supplied with an Avaya VOIP phone for my home office. Allegedly it's just 'plug 'n play', but sadly it won't work with my HomeHub5.

With technical help from work we have proven that it's definitely the HomeHub causing the problem. I have read several forum posts around this particular issue so I know that I'm not alone.

Could you advise on how to fix the problem? Many thanks in advance.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
rimibar
Beginner
Message 2 of 8

Re: Getting an Avaya VOIP phone to work with HomeHub5

Hi guys, still no news on this. Elsewhere on the forum it looks like there is a known fix, so please could one of the BT engineering team come back with a solution? Thanks!

0 Ratings
Devon_Dave
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 8

Hi. No BT engineering team here.
Have you tried on an avaya forum?
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 8

I've used an Avaya VoIP VPN phone with HH5 for many years with no problem. As you say... plug and play.

That said I'm not an Avaya expert so my setup may be different.

In your first post you say you've proven the Home Hub is causing the problem.

Can you share the details of the troubleshooting you've undertaken as it might help resolve your issue quicker.

Regards
rimibar
Beginner
Message 5 of 8

Hi Devon_Dave and smf22.

Thanks for trying help!

I basically tethered my iPhone and used that to connect the Avaya phone to the Internet. It worked first time (albeit on a dodgy 3G signal!) for incoming and outgoing calls. It seems the HomeHub5 stops the phone communicating with our work VOIP server. NB I don't need to use VPN for this, it's supposed to be 'plug and play' (LOL!). 

0 Ratings
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 8

VoIP phones will use different traffic "streams" to the VoIP call server for registration, call signalling, audio etc. While some of those streams use TCP and others use UDP, the HH5 works like any other home router / firewall and should allow any TCP and UDP traffic out, but restrict what's allowed in.

Provided the VoIP phone makes an outgoing connection for registration etc., there should be nothing to change on the hub for it to work.

Do you know the IP address of the VoIP call server and are you able to ping or trace route to it from a PC or host on your LAN? This would at least prove IP connectivity.

Regards

0 Ratings
mowgli82
Beginner
Message 7 of 8

Has anyone got an IP phone working with the Home Hub 6? BT Technical support dont seem to be too helpful they keep pointing me in the direction of a chargeable BT Support Line
0 Ratings
Jonkarra
Expert
Message 8 of 8

VOIP uses a protocol called SIP. Most of the time you need to adjust a setting on most routers to enable Application Layer Gateway. I seem to recall the Smarthub had a similar setting somewhere, but I'm no longer using it to check. Have a look through the web interface for SIP ALG, Session Initiation Protocol Application Layer Gateway or similar.
0 Ratings