cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Stobbie1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Getting half of advertised speed

A few weeks ago we began considering a new broadband provider after Virgin Media wasn't working out. It was down a lot, the hub was terrible and the service wasn't good overall. So we considered BT, speeds advertsied were as good as we were getting from Virgin and I expected a better service from BT.

So now we have BT, 3 days in I'm already regretting it. I'm fine with the 'setup' period or whatever it is, the internet has gone down a few times and the speeds have been inconsistent, but thats not too big of an issue. The issue is that we are going to recieve less that half of the advertised speed for the BT Infinity package we are paying for, at full price.

I didn't expect to get perfect 52Mbs download speed, its unreasonable to think that. But we are getting 19-24Mbs. For one, this wasn't properly explained when purchasing the package, no mention of expected speed, so why would I expect less that at least 30Mbs. Another gripe I have with BT, but also other providers that just makes no sense to me, is why upload speed is not mentioned anywhere on the site, unless it is hidden in small text on some obscure page about terms of service.

So my quesiton is, why, if we are getting less than half of the advertised speed of your service, should we not pay for what we are recieving? I can deal with the speed, but there is no way I'm going to stand for paying full price, I will call and post and complain until something is done, because this is simply unacceptable.

To make this even worse, we are currently receiving 14Mbs, less than the lowest unlimited broadband package and it isn't even at peek times, how pathetic!

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Getting half of advertised speed

Welcome to this forum.
This is a customer to customer forum only,

This is where customers help each other get the most out of BT products & services.

In order to find out what services and speed range you should be getting, please enter your phone number into this form.
Broadband availability checker

Please remember to edit out your phone number before you post the results.

Then, if you have a HH5 can you go to hub manager then trobleshooting then helpdesk and post lines 1-12

Could you please post the results from the BT Wholesale speed checker, including the further diagnostics. Remember to use a direct Ethernet cable connection.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 12

All Internet Service Providers (ISPs) advertise and sell their packages as "speeds up to". None of them will sell you a package stating "you will get". The reason for this is because of the way in which the broadband signal is delivered to your house, along copper telephone cables either from the exchange or if you have a fibre product, from the Fibre cabinet.

There are many factors that affect the speed that your line can deliver such as no two telephone cables exactly the same with the same number of joins, junction boxes etc and no two customers live exactly the same distance from the exchange or cabinet. distance being one of the many factors in determining the speed. As a result it is impossible to say exactly what speed you will get.

BT do however give you a guaranteed minimum speed that your should be able to deliver and if your line does not achieve that speed BT will endeavour to achieve that speed or you will be free to leave your contract without penalty. See link

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/35296/~/your-line-speed-explained

It would be impossible for any ISP to administer or vary the price of their packages to suite every individual customers line not least because they don't know exactly what speed your line will deliver until it is connected along with the other factors I have mentioned.

I would suggest that you post the information that has been asked for to see if your line is delivering the best it can and if it is not to see if it can be improved.

0 Ratings
John25Roberts
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 12

It's true BT give you a 'guaranteed' speed on VDSL, which is the bottom end of your Clean Line Range but I'm not entirely sure why they do because Openreach who own the RDSLAMS and maintain the physical line from that to your house give absolutely no speed guarantees to BT or any ISP whatsoever.

If your speeds fall below that of the 'guaranteed' BT gave you they will send an Openreach CSE to see if the speeds can be increased but this is by no means Openreach are admitting there is a fault with your service or that they'll be able to increase the speed.

0 Ratings
Stobbie1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 12

BT BROADBAND AVAILABILITY CHECKER
on Exchange STOKE ON TRENT is served by Cabinet 4

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

WBC FTTC Availability Date

WBC SOGEA Availability Date

Left in Jumper

HighLowHighLow        

ADSL Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

Left in Jumper

Other Offerings

Availability Date

VDSL Range A (Clean)37.827.47.65.9--Available----
VDSL Range B (Impacted)27.411.46.82.4--Available----
WBC ADSL 2+Up to 8--5.5 to 12.5Available----
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex MUp to 8Up to 15.5 to 12.5Available----
ADSL MaxUp to 5.5--4.5 to 8Available----
WBC Fixed Rate2----Available----
Fixed Rate2----Available----
VDSL Multicast------Available----
ADSL Multicast------Available----

0 Ratings
Stobbie1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 12

I understand that an ISP can't guarantee a speed for all customers and that it can vary, thats not what I'm annoyed at. As I said in the post, when we were purchasing the package there was no communication of actual speeds that we would be receiving, the only point of reference was the max speed from the BT website. I also don't expect BT to quote a different price for every customer, but this is too much. I'm currently getting the same speed as the 'up to' speed of the next lowest package, which is half the price of the package that we are paying for.

When we purchased the package, without having a specific speed communicated to us, I still expected much better than this. I understand that Virgin Media has fibre nearer the home but regardless, we payed for a Virgin Media package that was up to 50Mbs and we got 50Mbs. I don't care if its 30Mbs, at least thats a reasonable speed, but we are getting 14Mbs right now and we have an estimate for 19Mbs to 27Mbs. Its bad service. It might not be false advertising because they are so **bleep** vague about your actual speed, but certainly is shady, feel like I've been scammed.

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 12

Can you use this speed tester then carry out the further diagnostics and post back a screen shot of all the results including your IP profile for up and down. This test must be done with a wired connection.

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/
if you have a Homehub 5 can you also post the stats from 1-12 by logging onto the homehub management pages then troubleshooting > helpdesk. http://bthomehub.home/

if using the snart hub hub6 then look for advancced settings then information and post those results

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 12

I find this rather surprising. If you have ordered
on the website after giving your phone number the page would have clearly stated your estimated and guaranteed speed. If you ordered on the phone the operator would have used the same tool and provided the same estimates. The email that you receive in both cases would have contained your estimated and minimum speed. This can be way off the advertised speeds and in your case the guaranteed speed is 27.4 of you are not getting this speed you should raise a fault and ask for an engineer. All the rest is unfortunately not relevant to the discussion and you won't get any form of compensation for not getting the maximum advertised speed that for the avoidance of doubt are up to values
0 Ratings
JMH3
Beginner
Message 9 of 12

I have the same issue - I pay for speed sup to 52 mb and get 23 mb. The upload speed is pathetic. How do BT get away with charging me for something they don't - or can't - deliver. Is this false advertising?

0 Ratings
JMH3
Beginner
Message 10 of 12

I agree. I pay for 52 mb and get 23. I shall definitely be leaving BT as soon as my contract finishes but they really should NOT be able to advertise such false claims.

0 Ratings