cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 26

Getting half what we used to, cant figure out why.

Go to solution

Hi all,

I wondered if you could take a look at this and maybe suggest wht might be wrong. We used to get close to 2meg here and that would then drop a bit as the line settled but mostly over 1.6

But For quite a while now the speeds been rubbish by comparison and while we've had problems in the past its either been fixed or eventually 'resolved itself'

We had a crackly phone a couple of weeks ago the engineer was booked for about 4 days later by which time it was crystal clear.

The routers wired to the master socket its an adsl v1.0 faceplate so internally filtered.

Quiet line test is good with a dect phone and better with a spare non mobile type.

Theres been alot of work locally installing those new fibre cabinets but we're too far for that to be avaliable, so i'm a shade miffed that the speeds dropped from what we've had for years at a time theyre giving others massive boosts.

heres the stats from BT

Download speedachieved during the test was - 0.36 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.2 Mbps-1 Mbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :0.9 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 0.75 Mbps

And from the router

ADSL Uptime

10days 2hours 12minutes 48seconds

Modulation : G.Dmt
Annex Mode : Annex A/L
Line State : up
Lan Tx : 15710041
Lan Rx : 12668100
ADSL Tx : 9055910
ADSL Rx : 95123084
CRC Down : 8
CRC Up : 6983
FEC Down : 7
FEC Up : 0
HEC Down : 4468
HEC Up : 34
SNR Up : 12.0
SNR Down : 10.0
Line Attenuation Up : 31.5
Line Attenuation Down : 63.5
Data Rate Up : 448
Data Rate Down : 896

Gary

(I have posted before with a User name of Swac3 but cant get the password to work/reset for some reason just fyi)

edit, i forgot this bit

Telephone Number 01542xxxxxxx on Exchange CULLEN is served by Cabinet 3

Featured ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Range(Mbps)Availability Date

ADSL MaxUp to 1--0.75 to 2.5Available
Fixed Rate2 ----Available
Other Offerings
Fibre Multicast------01-Mar-15
0 Ratings
25 REPLIES 25
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 26

Re: Getting half what we used to, cant figure out why.

Go to solution

The problem is the high noise margin due to your previous line problems so if mods reset your noise margin back to 6db that should imprive your speed. Mods will post a contact us link tomorrow. 

contact mods.jpg

After completing the email NOT PM then you join a queue of other customers waiting for mod help. The mods will get back to you in 3/5 working days either by phone or email

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 26

Go to solution
Hmm, thanks imjolly, i'd have thought it would have come up more given the time scale since the router was last down and the noise on the line but , could be it was a bit noisy again at some point in those 10 days that we aren't aware of and not so bad it actually dropped out i guess.

will see how it pans out, i did read something today aimed at those like me with longer lines but close ish to a fibre cab compared to where the exchange is, but there's no forecast or pricing and its still a maybe, but hope at least
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 26

Go to solution

You have 10 days connection time and it can take 2 pr 3 weeks for the DLM to start reducing your noise margin and increasing your connection speed. 

The dslchecker shows no fibre or even adsl2 so no upgrade scheduled  if you are talking about FTTPoD then nothing shown the checker but costs are very high  http://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/products/pricing/loadProductPriceDetails.do?data=0WyIM7tTGGgucF...

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 5 of 26

Go to solution
Ah upto 3 weeks !
The exchange is AO and the cabinets further out are installed but may well not yet be active for sure.
Yes i looked at the FTTP pricing and no that's not a cost i'd be willing to pay, even then i think we're out of the running.
The two new cabinets are 3Km and 3.5Miles from us and as luck would have it were connected to the one at 3.5 miles away which is ironic as its closer to the exchange but further away from us here, legacy cabling form decades ago so highly possible this place had a phone early in the scheme of things when that was the closest cabinet.

The possible solution i saw was FTTC based ADSL2+ if that does infact become reality.

Thanks again
Gary
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 6 of 26

Go to solution

Hi Nohoper,

Welcome to the community forum. I'll be able to take a look at your connection. Please send me in your details using the "Contact The Mods" link found in my profile.

Thanks

PaddyB

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 7 of 26

Go to solution

Sync is up ip still parp and still having periods where the ping goes into the 300's for ages  then drops back to the more usual 50 to 60 , every webpage i click on theres a delay before anything starts to happen then the page loads but no pictures then they crawl in.

Youtube is a definate no go, and My Online gaming well forget it, simply unplayable.

http://www.pingtest.net/result/110744271.png

FAQ

Results Image not loaded

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download  Speed
 0.31 Mbps

0 Mbps1 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 0.31 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.2 Mbps-1 Mbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :1.5 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 0.75 Mbps

Modulation : G.Dmt
Annex Mode : Annex A/L
Line State : up
Lan Tx : 20052445
Lan Rx : 15884286
ADSL Tx : 178629
ADSL Rx : 214213
CRC Down : 0
CRC Up : 21
FEC Down : 0
FEC Up : 0
HEC Down : 9
HEC Up : 0
SNR Up : 12.0
SNR Down : 6.5
Line Attenuation Up : 31.5
Line Attenuation Down : 63.5
Data Rate Up : 448
Data Rate Down : 1504

Its been poor for quite some time now even before the previously mentioned crackly line,  Local exchange is also showing AO for fibre just to rub salt in the wounds

Not sure whats going on really, maybe all the fibre work has disturbed stuff, or maybe its just the long unresolved poor condition of the copper out to us, i never did find out if anything was done regarding the engineers reccomendations.

On an slightly different track, Ive always been led to believe the chances of being moved to different cabinets is like Zero, is this the case or is it more a case of there would be large charges if new wiring had to be run.  To be honest depending on just how much it might be i would consider paying, but its hard to get any information.

Gary

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 26

Go to solution

have you use the mod contact us link and sent the email.  mods will reduce your noise margin which will increase your speed

there is no change as far as openreach and changing cabinets are concerned - still does not happen

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 26

Go to solution
the fibre infrastructure will have had no effect on adsl services and yes you are correct moving o another cabinet is a no go
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 10 of 26

Go to solution
Hi Guys,

well the snr is down so looks like it got reset thanks, i'm still getting periods where the pins are awful 300-500ms and it doesn't seem to be time of day related. I always expect it got get a shade worse at night, well into the late afternoons when more and more people come online , then it got better very late evening. But haven had ramdom up and down like this for years.

I'll keep an eye on the connection and see how it runs/settles in.
Still not as good as we used to get but much much better than it was ,

Regarding the cabinet thing, If a new line is ordered i guess theres no way to tell what BT would do right? reason i ask is that years ago one engineer had suggested he might try using another pair in the line further down from us to help resolve issues , but came back and said there were none. So anything new would come from the closer cab surely or maybe not... all theoretical

Thanks
Be safe all.

0 Ratings