cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

Getting less than 1mbps on Infinity???

Everytime I try to stream something in my house it doesn't connect so I check speeds and its always around 1mbps or lower. This morning it was just above 200kbps. I can't even watch videos on facebook or youtube on my phone as all they do is buffer due to the low speed. My hub setup is perfect with new hub and cables as I thought they were the problem and got replacements. While troubleshooting on phone to BT they said hub wad the problem and they found no faults on my line but infinity broadband is the only internet I've ever had this problem with. I had the standard broadband and this never happened. Does it seem like an outside fault? Or possible socket issues?

I also work in broadband issues so i know my setup at home is perfect and have tried wireless troubleshooting such as putting hub into test socket, changing wifi channels etc so I know the fault is nothing to do with inside my house, unless the socket is faulty?
0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Infinity connection weak and dreadful...

My household has had BT Infinity for the last few years and I think our wifi has apparently just switched over to Infinity 2 two days ago. Advertised speeds for infinity 1 were somewhere around 38mbps and infinity 2 is up to 76mbps. My Infinity internet has always been weak and awful. We have had 2 new hubs and cables etc within the last 6 months due to us thinking the hub was the problem. I also used to work for Sky broadband and I have done all the troubleshooting I can so I know there is no fault with the setup so it must be a fault somewhere outside. I live in a regular 3 bed semi detached house and the internet is so weak I can't stream anything or connect any games console upstairs or in the dining room. Our standard internet we had years ago never had any problems with blackspots but this fibre is supposed to be faster and stronger but its the complete opposite. Does this sound like I may need an engineer??? And how much does it cost? I have done every troubleshotting step I know and its either the socket they have fitted or my actual line.
0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 6

Re: Infinity connection weak and dreadful...

@Natalie1 wrote:
Advertised speeds for infinity 1 were somewhere around 38mbps and infinity 2 is up to 76mbps.

Infinity 1 is now advertised up to 52 Meg but if you're not getting anything like that there is no point in upgrading to Infinity 2.

Please post your full Home Hub router stats
Learn how from here Broadband Top Tips

Full router stats are key to any speed & connection issues.

What does BT Broadband Availability Checker estimate for your phone number? Post just the whole table and the line above it, blanking out your phone number. If it doesn't recognise your phone number, use the Address Checker, not the Postcode Checker.

Message 4 of 6

Re: Getting less than 1mbps on Infinity???

Please post your full Home Hub router stats
Learn how from here Broadband Top Tips

Full router stats are key to any speed & connection issues.

Message 5 of 6

It is my aunt who is account holder apparently it is an automatic switch to infinity 2??
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Hi @Natalie1 and thanks for posting.

You wouldn't automatically be switched to Infinity 2, it would require a new order and contract. Can you try running the speed test on a wired connection, including the further diagnostics, and post the results. Can you post your helpdesk details? You'll find them in Troubleshooting/Helpdesk on the web interface at http://192.168.1.254 or http://bthomehub.home. If you can give us as much detail as possible I'm sure we'll be able to help.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings