Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

Getting out of the cloud

Go to solution

I'm using Mail on OSX as my email client. I have just become aware that BT email is cloud based, that my emails are held on BT's server and that my computer is merely a terminal for access to my email. I don't want that, I want my email correspondence residing on my own machine not on a server somewhere.

How can I achieve that? I have already made a couple of tests and know that if I delete a message via webmail it immediately disappears from my email client at home. Is it possible to set things up so that when I receive an email I can have it deleted from webmail but remain, for all time if I so choose, on my computer? Similarly with sent messages. I want them on file on my own machine but not stored on BT's server.

Is this possible and if so, how?

TIA

Chuck

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: Getting out of the cloud

Go to solution

Quite simply by configuring your mail client as POP3 rather than IMAP. Do not tick any option to leave a copy of the mail on the server. Not familiar with MAC clients, but most will not allow change of account type from IMAP to POP3 on the fly and will require the account to be deleted and then re-created.

This is the case for all mail systems, not just BT. IMAP=mail held on server, POP3=mail on local machine. People with multiple devices prefer IMAP as all devices are synchronised.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 11

Go to solution

Thank you. I didn't know that. 

I find I cannot change my account on the fly, as you wrote, and I also cannot create a new email account with the same address etc. so before I do anything stupid I wonder if you could answer this.

If I delete my existing IMAP account and create a new POP3 account with my current email address etc. will my existing emails, presently on BT's server, be lost or will they still be there accessible with a POP3 account?

If lost is there any way to 'archive' them to my computer before I delete the account?

Again, TIA.

Chuck

Edited to say that I have discovered how to archive the mailbox.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 11

Go to solution

The mails 'should' still be on the server as all you are doing is deleting the account on one client (as far as the server is concerned you could have multiple clients). However, it is always best to back things up in case anything goes wrong. As I said previously, I'm not familiar with Mac's so not aware of in what format the mails may be stored on your local machine that you could back up.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 11

Go to solution

If you only have a small number of mails, you could always temporarily create a Gmail account and forward them to that. If lost, they can then simply be forwarded back to the POP3 BTinternet account.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution

Thanks again.

Just for information I can tell you that Mail on  a Mac archives a mailbox in mbox format so at least if I get this wrong I still have a record. Deep breath for the next part.

The Gmail idea is an option too.

Regards

Chuck

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution

index.jpg

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 8 of 11

Go to solution

Posting this for completeness.

Archived my mailboxes, just in case. Deleted my IMAP account and tried to recreate it as a POP3 account...no dice.

No option that I could see to set it as POP3 upon creation. I have another, secondary account that I did, apparently, set as POP3, or perhaps because it is secondary it's default was POP3. I don't remember. In any case, the mailboxes were still there and accessible with the re-created account.

So perhaps it is the case that the primary account is set by default to IMAP, no discussion, and quite possibly what most people want. If that is so then perhaps I will move my active mail account to a secondary one. I still have the primary archive for my records so could safely delete these emails from the cloud.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 11

Go to solution

All BT mail accounts can be configured as POP3, the problem lies with Apple which tries to force IMAP. After deleting the IMAP account, reboot the machine before trying to set the account up again as POP3. Make the settings manually rather than allowing the wizard to complete.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 11

Go to solution

You might find that you will not at first be offered the option to set it up manually. If that is the case, use the wizard but put in the wrong password. This will stop the account verifying and you will then be given the option to set it up manually and you will be able to select POP3 or IMAP.

0 Ratings