cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 3

Getting speeds beyond 80mb/s on Infinity 2

I am on Infinity 2 which I believe is capped at 80mb/s. I do frequent speed tests (like around 10 times a week) just to ensure I am getting reasonable speeds all the time, which I am, but I have noticed during the testing the speedometer sometimes exceeds 100mb/s before usually settling under 80mb/s (normally around 65 or so), but one or two times it settled at over 80mb/s. Being in a. centrally located region of London I assume I am close to an exchange hence I usually get close to the max. Anyway, so how am I sometimes getting in excess of 80 if it is supposed to be capped at that? In saying that, since Virgin offers 152mb/s for Infinity 2 equivalent customers, why are we being short changed with an 80 max offering? Perhaps they use different technology but shouldn't BT catch up?
0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 3

Re: Getting speeds beyond 80mb/s on Infinity 2

When a speed test is run it does a "burst" test which is probably what you are seeing. It does not necessarily mean that your line can support that speed for any length of time.

The distance you are from the exchange has nothing to do with your speeds. It is your distance to the cabinet that can affect your speed.

As regards Virgin offering in excess of 150Mbps. Is this on the BT infrastructure or on Virgins own cable infrastructure? 

The only speed tester that BT will accept is this one. If you run it, make sure you also do the diagnostic test as it give a bit more information.

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 3

Re: Getting speeds beyond 80mb/s on Infinity 2

Try using BT wholesales speedtest. I've found in the past that some speedtests can show erronous results. 

Virgin use their own Fibre to the cabinet network which was around long before BT's FTTC offerings. 

0 Ratings