Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Glimmer of hope

Go to solution

Hi all,

Wondering if someone could shed some light.  I live in an apartment complex and the fastest we could get speedwise is around 2MB, usual stuff distance from exchange, route the cable has to take due to railway lines and canals etc etc.

Anyway, the other day BT were spraying white markings on the path leading upto our complex junction box (two long straight lines with a dot in the middle |.| < sort of like that but the dot was central vertically.   Following these markings they seem to go on for a fair distance.

When asked if this was for fibre they smiled and said for work in the near future.  Quickly looking the markings show the run of the existing cable since they go between BT manhole covers on the path.

Could this be a sign that it's on its way?  I'd be happy if after installation we got above 8MB after being stuck on upto 2MB.

Hope someone can shed some light.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 6

Re: Glimmer of hope

Go to solution

Sounds like they are getting ready to install a new cabinet, just beware though that some apartment complexes are not compatible with fibre as they have there own telephone distribution systems.

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

we have a normal green box within the complex that serves only the complex. I have only ever seen BT engineers work either at the box or the owners apartment. Took a quick look at the distribution cupboards and can only see electric meters, water meters and sky. 

But I am sure your right that the main cabling from our green box feeds into the aparment block then is locally fed to each apartment. If it is fibre then they would have had to ask from the site owners since it's a new build to put a box in and so a site survey would have been carried out? Also the junction box already in place serves only the apartments.

On a downside, hope they don't put a box in if we cannot get it, that would be torture passing it a few times a day knowing that it is no more than 80m away but getting nothing.

Cheers for the reply.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

@ImSpiritus wrote:

we have a normal green box within the complex that serves only the complex. I have only ever seen BT engineers work either at the box or the owners apartment. Took a quick look at the distribution cupboards and can only see electric meters, water meters and sky. 

You might want to have a look at:

http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/resident/

http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/landlord/

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

Cheers Zagnome,

I have seen these before, I know the exchange has been ready for over a year since this area was part of the trials. Since I own the apartment the landlord is only responsible for the outside areas and community areas such as corridors inside the building.  I pay a service charge but nothing is on the list of responsibilities that mentions communications. 

I had registered interest a year ago and same week received an email saying it was coming soon to our area.  Over 12 months later and just seeing the white markings I put 2+2 together and hope it is.  

I may have been misleading when I said within the complex since what I should have put is within the compound since we have an electronic gate to the complex car park and the BT box has been installed here.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

@ImSpiritus wrote:

Anyway, the other day BT were spraying white markings on the path leading upto our complex junction box (two long straight lines with a dot in the middle |.| < sort of like that but the dot was central vertically.  

This marking is used by openreach to mark where their ducts/cables are located in the ground in order for other utility company's to dig in the surrounding area safely without damaging the cables in the ground. This does not necessarily mean fibre cabling work, it could just be ready for British Gas to dig the pavement up for a new gas main.

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.