cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KeithW
Beginner
Message 21 of 36

Re: Gobsmacked. Lost bbc HD channels. BT switched off for non infinity customers...

Hi Martin, It is a youview box. You might  be surprised by the responses you can get from different BT support people. There does seem to be some gaps in the training they have received. It does not seem entirely absurd to me that they might stream Hd via net , if signal is not strong. I appreciate what you indicate with respect  to vision boxes and understand your reasoning.

The facts are the transmitter is operating as normal. The youview boxes are not faulty. The signal via aerial is strong enough and has the quality required for HD and it is reported that BT Infinity had been registered on the account. Also we had 11 months of solid HD channels already.

So, let's wait and see how this goes with the current box and the now expected G4 box when it arrives Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
zulu17
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 22 of 36

Re: Gobsmacked. Lost bbc HD channels. BT switched off for non infinity customers...

Well it is a very inventive explanation -- I can well believe that BT have found some discrepancies in what your account/records detaill hold.

However  they have been looking for an account explanation for what appears to be clearly a technical problem.

If a new G4 box gives you the correct channels - then fine a solution has been found but  the diagnosis of the problem that support have given you is seriously flawed.

Let us know how you get on when the G4 arrives.

0 Ratings
Steve_M
BT TV Expert
Message 23 of 36

There is absolutely no way that any setting on your Vision account can affect the youview boxes ability to receive HD FTA channels over DTT.

Hopefully the new box will work.

Steve
0 Ratings
SRB
Aspiring Expert
Message 24 of 36

The mind boggles as to what telecoms qualifications the "engineer" who called at the house and believed that story he was spun, had......... 

0 Ratings
MartinSW
Aspiring Expert
Message 25 of 36

@Steve_M wrote:
There is absolutely no way that any setting on your Vision account can affect the youview boxes ability to receive HD FTA channels over DTT. 

Indeed - as I said days ago:

https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-box/Gobsmacked-Lost-bbc-HD-channels-BT-switched-off-for-non-infi...

Why do so many BT staff feel free to make stuff up? 

0 Ratings
ChrisC
Aspiring Expert
Message 26 of 36

An easy way to tell if the channels are over the Aerial or from the streaming service provided by BT is by checking the channel numbers they are on. The Free-to-air channels are listed in the channel guide as 10x, the streamed channels are in the 500 range. (NB this applies to YouView boxes only, the Vision boxes use the same channel numbers but receive them over Infinity)

As KeithW stated:

Despite this flag have been reportedly reset ( and I believe this) a susbequent factory reset has failed to restore the 101, 102 etc channels.

So the channels you are having trouble receiving are from the Aerial, not via the broadband connection.

BT also only stream a limited number of SD channels over copper connections and none in HD, so there's no way that you were receiving BBC and other HD channels over your BBand connection. Adding the Infinity marker to the account may make some extra channels appear in your EPG in the 500 range, but you won't be able to receive them unless you are on Infinity AND subscribe to them.

Not good to hear that both an engineer and the helpdesk got this so wrong, hopefully they've been back in touch to set the record straight.

0 Ratings
KeithW
Beginner
Message 27 of 36

Hi,

New box arrived , plugged in and setup -> No HD channels.

Unplugged EtherNet Connection ( NO BT) , Factory Reset , retuned -> No HD Channels.

(Wish I had unplugged the Ethernet when the BT Infinity factor was first suggested - never thought of that )

So pretty much confirms what others saying BT have no influence on FTA HD Channels Smiley Very Happy

Only puzzle now - is if the BT engineer measured Signal  and an Independent Aerial Installer also measure signal ,

both said it's fine for HD  - why not tuning in now (C47 Tunbridge Wells) . The  Aerial Installer did leave a new fly lead connecting the Box to aerial - wondering whether to switch back to old lead.

More grist for the mill , there is a Mast amplifier on the Aerial , but as I have already stated , We had the HD Channels , the signal has been measured at the end of Fly lead and all was reported fine.

True, the leaves are on the trees etc , but Signal was Measured by advanced metering gadgets - Independently - So WTF.

Think I will have to accept BT have done all they can - and that we will just have to wait and see if at some point if HD returns. 

Thanks all. You are a good bunch. Smiley Wink

COnfuddled , 

0 Ratings
scointer
Recognised Expert
Message 28 of 36

What signal strength/quality are you getting on the channels 001-099 you do get. Check in the YouView settings menu when you are on say 001.

This sounds like a aerial/lead issue or possibly a problem with the tuning on the YouView box. On the last tuning step (about step 2 or 3 I think) do you get a choice of areas or does it skip straight past.

0 Ratings
KeithW
Beginner
Message 29 of 36

On channel 01 - It shows strength 70%, quality 100%.
There are no area choices - it is all automatic

thanks
0 Ratings
Old_Welsh_dragon
Aspiring Expert
Message 30 of 36

When you set up a Youview box for the first time, after the tuning is done, if you have other transmitters close by it gives you a choice to which on is your region.

Mine says, north west, isle of mann or west midlands I use north west Granada..  

Maybe it is locked on to a relay and not a main transmitter only giving you Freeview light..

0 Ratings