cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 4

Going over 10MB limit

I have been with BT broadband Option 1 (10 MB) since June 2009 and have just received my first notice telling me that my use was over 10 MB in February and that I willl now be charged extra for this.  My usage has been no more than usual. I rarely upload music or download films to watch and don't use I-player or YouTube. After receiving a warning on 16th February (I think it was) that I had already used up 7MB, I was even more careful with my usage and reduced the amount of time I was online and kept a daily check. However, at the end of last month, I was 1MB over. I'm not sure how this is worked out by BT or how I can check this myself but I consider myself to be a low user and am unable to understand how I could have gone over 10MB.

Seeing the other comments on here, I am beginning to wonder whether this is a ruse by BT to get people to move to their more expensive options or whether they are linking someone else's usage to my account.  Maybe this is a case for Watchdog?

Any advice on how I can verify this or prove my usage to BT would be really helpful please.

Thanks,

Jane

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Going over 10MB limit

I think you mean 10Gb not 10Mb Smiley Wink

You can check your usage here http://www.bt.com/broadbandusagemonitor

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 4

If this is the first time you've bust the limit you should not be charged.

BT's usage monitor is updated daily. The meter at http://www.thinkbroadband.com/tbbmeter.html gives real time information but only for the computer it's installed on, so it's not much use for checking total usage if other devices are connected.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 4

@Lipstickjane1 wrote:

I have been with BT broadband Option 1 (10 MB) since June 2009 and have just received my first notice telling me that my use was over 10 MB in February and that I willl now be charged extra for this.  My usage has been no more than usual. I rarely upload music or download films to watch and don't use I-player or YouTube. After receiving a warning on 16th February (I think it was) that I had already used up 7MB, I was even more careful with my usage and reduced the amount of time I was online and kept a daily check. However, at the end of last month, I was 1MB over. I'm not sure how this is worked out by BT or how I can check this myself but I consider myself to be a low user and am unable to understand how I could have gone over 10MB.

Seeing the other comments on here, I am beginning to wonder whether this is a ruse by BT to get people to move to their more expensive options or whether they are linking someone else's usage to my account.  Maybe this is a case for Watchdog?

Any advice on how I can verify this or prove my usage to BT would be really helpful please.

Thanks,

Jane

One way of checking your usage is by getting the upload/download information from your HomeHub and monitoring it on at least a daily basis. The following is an extract from another thread that you can read for further information.

http://community.bt.com/t5/Other-BB-Queries/Broadband-usage-OMG/m-p/434143#M16468

The process is not as difficult as it looks:

To monitor your usage with your HomeHub you first have to Login to your HomeHub.

There are various ways to get to your HomeHub but the simplest to describe is

1. Start your Internet Browser (say Internet Explorer)

2Type 192.168.1.254 in the address bar and hit enter.

3. If this is the first time you have done this you will be asked to change the default Admin password of the Hub.

(Otherwise goto step 5)

The default Admin password is usually written on the Hub or supplied on a card or sticker supplied by BT.

NOTE this is Not the the wireless pin , or key, or password. 

4. Make sure you record the new password.

5.  Now click on Settings

6. You may be asked to type in your Admin Password.

7. When logged in successfuly click Advanced Settings   (Top Right end of second row)

8.  Click "Coninue to advanced settings"

9  Click Broadband  (Top left 2nd entry in second row)

10.  The Internet  entry on the third row should already be selected but if not click it.

11.   Under connection information  you should see someting like this

Connect1

NOTE here that the data is recorded in GB (Gigabytes) not MB (Megabytes)

12.   IF you want to monitor your usage in detail I suggest you record the following information

date and time of reading, connection time, data transmitted, data received

For convenience I copy parts of my previous post.

There are several things you need to bear in mind.

1. BT usage is measured at midnight only and occasionally skips a night  so check the date also.

2. The Home Hub measures usage seperately as up and down so you need to add the figures.

3. The Home Hub reading is accurate at the time of accessing it but will not update unless you refresh the screen.

4. The Home Hub reading measures from the last reconnection time so you need to check what the uptime of the connection is to ensure that a reconnection has not screwed up your reading.

5. The result of all this is that you need to record the readings on at least a daily basis and compare the difference between the two corresponding readings.

6. If you are experiencing unusual readings from the HomeHub you can monitor it on short periods of time (say hourly or less) and correlate with what is going on on connected devices.

7. A list of connected devices can also be got from the HomeHUb.

8. There are other ways of measuring usage per device but your case for proving to BT that their usage meter has got it wrong will be better served by using the advice above.

9. In my experience I have found that the Home Hub and BT usage meter agree and to my knowledge there has been no posts in this community that have posted convincing evidence otherwise in the form of Home Hub readings and BT Usage monitor readings (or any other readings). There has been posts of new account problems that may have been valid but none for existing accounts.

0 Ratings