cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JackPhillips
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 11

Going round in circles

Hi, I've tried the online chat facility and calling BT direct today to report a fault but I seem unable to get any satisfactory answers to the issue that I have with my landline. Callers to my number say they can barely hear me, and I can't dial out. The online diagnostic tool states there are no issues with my line despite the two issues already mentioned. I have a very old master socket which has for the last 19 years had an iffy connection in it, slightly moving the connector plug from the phone can disrupt a call. My understanding (from BT today) is that everything up to and including the master socket is their responsibility. Today I have been advised that for an enginner to replace the master socket it will cost me £129. But if I were to replace the master socket I would then breach the terms of use conditions and could face possible sanction.  So BT seem unwilling to take responsibility for maintaining their network and equipment but are more than happy to charge their own customers £129 in order to replace a master socket that I can't touch without breaching the terms and conditions. Is this right?

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: Going round in circles

The charge is raised by Openreach as they supply and maintain the network. All BT do is pass on the charge just as every one of the other 500 service providers do.

You will pay the fee if the fault's with:
Your home wiring past the main socket, for example, extensions
The way you've got your equipment connected
Interference from something, for example your phone, alarm system, micro-filter or broadband router
Damage to our network, for example cut wire, damage from building work, trees or pets, or damage to sockets
0 Ratings
Devon_Dave
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 11

I assume you have tried a know working phone in your main socket. If you do not have a linebox that has the integral test point ensure you unplug everything from all sockets. This should include broadband filters and router.
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
JackPhillips
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 11

Thank you.

I've tried another phone plugged directly into the old master socket today. The other phone will ring when I call it from my mobile but there is no dial tone, so as with my existing phone I'm unable to dial out. The line from outside connects to an old block terminal/junction box inside the house. From that a cable spurs off to the master socket into which the phone connects (through an ADSL filter). The second spur runs (from the terminal block not from the master socket) to an extenstion socket upstairs into which my BT wifi router is connected (through an ADSL filter). I've tried the other phone in that socket also, the same result - incoming calls OK but I can't dial out. Non of the cabling network has been altered, moved or obviously damaged in the past couple of weeks. Also I've not added any new equipment recently. The basic wiring has not been altered in the 19 years I've lived in the property. My broadband works fine. But the issue still remains that BT are not providing me with the service I pay for despite their remote tests showing that everything is fine when clearly it's not but seem reluctant to remedy the situation. Legally I can't replace the terminal block or the master socket as they both sit on the BT side of responsibility. Any thoughts?       

0 Ratings
iniltous
Guru
Message 5 of 11

Have you a NTE5 type master socket, if you have yo need to remove the bottom action to reveal the test port, you need to try listening for dialtone and making a call with a known working phone plugged directly ( no broadband filter) here, if it works here , wharever the problem is, it's not on the Openreach network, so potentially a chargeable visit if you call OR out, but if there is no dialtone at the test port, then you can ask for a visit from OR safe in the knowledge that a charge won't be raised.

The test (on line or performed by your service provider) is an indication only, obviously if you get NDT a the test port, it's irrelevant if the tester says your  line tests OK, apart from anything else, it doesn't check anything but the line itself, and NDT could be a fault in the exchange that the tester wouldn't pick up, but it could test OK because there isn't a fault on anything they are responsible for, and TBH although you say you have checked the master socket, you don't seem to have tried in the test port, obviously Im assuming here that your master is a NTE5 with a removable bottom section

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 11

It won't matter if the OP tests from the test socket, the line is teed off in the junction box before it ever gets to the master so could still be a problem in extension wiring. He will need to disconnect extension wiring at junction box as well as plugging in test socket of master.

0 Ratings
iniltous
Guru
Message 7 of 11

Oops, I  missed the part where the OP explains his non standard wiring

obviously as his extension isn't wired correctly from the consumer panel of the master socket , he won't isolate that wiring by using the test port, he will have to disconnect it from wherever is it incorrectly teed into the 'line'

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 11

See you spotted it Smiley Wink

0 Ratings
Havnalaff
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 11

@JackPhillips, get your own house in order before you start talking about service, do all the tests recommended here and if the problem still exists then you have a clear conscience. I hope you get this all sorted out very soon, best regards.

0 Ratings
JackPhillips
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 11

Hi, many thanks for your reply, no sorry to say it's not a moderm NTE5 master socket so my only 'test' option is to unplug the existing phone and ADSL filter and plug the 'test' phone straight into master socket, which given that there is a junction box between it and the line coming in from outside might not help in isolating the fault/bad connection. The result is the phone rings for inbound calls but I have no dial tone.

I'm still unsure as to who has responsibility for the master socket (and the cabling to it) is it BT or the customer? I believe that I'm more than capable of installing and wiring a new master socket (because I would like to upgrade it so that I have a test facility) but in doing so do I breach BT'sown terms and conditions?

As for the replies saying I should get my own house in order first all the telephone cabling in the house was installed prior to moving in 19 years ago and whilst it seems non-sensical to spider off the extention cable to upstairs from the junction box, without it passing through the master socket, the person who made that decision has no inerest in the property now. Also the wiring has provided excellent service for 19 years, it has suppotered the transition from dial-up modems through to Infinity so apart from now, where I don't have a dial tone but can take incomig calls it's worked fantastically well.

I tried this forum to try and get a basic question answered as both BT's Chat and Call Centre options had failed to move the issue on hence why going round in circles.                  

0 Ratings