Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ocean
Aspiring Expert
Message 11 of 23

Re: Good ole BT again...

This is better than football - even though I`m confused Smiley Surprised

. . . it must be remembered that the sea is a great breeder of friendship. Two men who have known each other for twenty years find that twenty days at sea bring them nearer than ever they were before, or else estrange them.
0 Ratings
masona2
Recognised Expert
Message 12 of 23

And I still don't understand the topic of discussion. But it has been fun to read.

All in one fell swoop, the OP has posted a complaint, an observation and then a conclusion.

Eh? Whats all that about then?

Anyone?

Rank - Mostly Harmless.
0 Ratings
dash201
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 23

Indeed I have. 

Previously, in another thread, someone said that BT do not traffic shape, throttle etc but after yesterday with another ISP playing the football with no problem, and BT not, it kind of proves that there is something not quite right with BT.

Again, in the previous thread, I was told that it must have been iPlayer. Was just venting my frustrations at a poor service. No point asking for help as I am always told the same thing.

0 Ratings
StewM
Guru
Message 14 of 23

What poor service? Something doesn't quite work and your conclusion is "it's BT's fault"?
0 Ratings
masona2
Recognised Expert
Message 15 of 23

@dash201 wrote:

Indeed I have. 

Previously, in another thread, someone said that BT do not traffic shape, throttle etc but after yesterday with another ISP playing the football with no problem, and BT not, it kind of proves that there is something not quite right with BT.

Again, in the previous thread, I was told that it must have been iPlayer. Was just venting my frustrations at a poor service. No point asking for help as I am always told the same thing.

Oh, they can throttle all right. But they most definitely DON'T, err, 'traffic shape'.

Oh no no no no no. BT don't like them P2P applications, and neither do any of the other ISP's, for those that use such services.

For those that don't, it's chocks away! And tally ho!

Rank - Mostly Harmless.
0 Ratings
dash201
Aspiring Contributor
Message 16 of 23

Ok Stew. Humour me and give me your explanation. Here is the scenario that took place:

I use a Macbook Air. On that, I use Google Chrome to access ITV Player. To access the Internet, I am using BT internet, wirelessly. I click on the football (which is being streamed live). It doesn't work. I also try using Safari. Same result.

So I switch to my desktop PC. I use Google Chrome once again to access ITV Player. To access the Internet, I am using BT internet, plugged directly in to the router and my PC is not wireless. I click on the football (which is being streamed live.) It doesn't work. I try Internet Explorer. I really was that desperate.

So I go back to the Macbook Air. I ask my good neighbour if I can jump on to their wireless. They are not with BT. They are with another ISP. Once again, I use Google Chrome to access ITV Player. I click on the football (which is being streamed live.) It works with the neighbour's ISP but not with BT.

So shall we blame the Macbook which failed once using BT but not with another ISP? What do we put it down to then Stew? Give me another possibility that I may have missed. I can't see that it is my PC or Macbook or any of the equipment. It can only be one thing. You could blame the exchange I guess. But if the Internet was facing difficulties then surely BT Vision would not have been working. I really am at a loss as to what else it could be.

I am not particularly au fait with P2P, but I get the idea of it and such. What I do know is that I have had this same problem before with LoveFilm, iPlayer, ITV Player, 4OD.

0 Ratings
StewM
Guru
Message 17 of 23

OK.

1. what is your line speed.

2. what is your broadband package.

3. what is your neighbours line speed.

4. what is your neighbours broadband package.

Are you both connected to the same exchange?

0 Ratings
dash201
Aspiring Contributor
Message 18 of 23

Stew, you should work for BT if you don't already.

My neighbour has a slower line speed than I do. 2 meg. BT is roughly 5. Minimum needed for Vision is 2 which was working. So if the net wasn't working or the speed had dropped BT Vision would not have been working. Correct?

Where are you heading with this one Stew?
0 Ratings
StewM
Guru
Message 19 of 23

@dash201 wrote:
Stew, you should work for BT if you don't already.

My neighbour has a slower line speed than I do. 2 meg. BT is roughly 5. Minimum needed for Vision is 2 which was working. So if the net wasn't working or the speed had dropped BT Vision would not have been working. Correct?

Where are you heading with this one Stew?

Nowhere when you have such an attitude.

0 Ratings
pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 20 of 23

This thread is getting as boring as the match. I must admit to being in the ranks of the confused, but it does seem to raise interesting questions - whether it is possible for an ISP to doctor the content of a website, and if so are BT guilty. Is it and are they?

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings