cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
disgusted91
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

Goodbye BT Mail, Hello Google - You deleted my account one too many times

I am a very long term (as in multiple decades) user of BT and its services. And an older (female) user, at 91 years of age. I use my email occasionally and to be honest depend on family to resolve issues with my technology, internet and email included. I've had password problems with my BT email account that my son resolved yesterday. When I logged on I was horrified/mortified to find my email account had been permanently deleted by BT, and after consulting the BT "technician" was advised it was irrecoverable. No account and - worse - no details of all those people I used to communicate with - all lost (I am told). As I think is now said, WTF!!! I find a "customer responsive" (their words, not mine) service that adopts a policy of deleting acconts after 60 days apparent non-use to be one that clearly has no idea of how a part of their customer base operates. Oldies don't write messages every five minutes, or maybe every five days. Or even five weeks. They are less prolofic than the current generation. Nor does it understand about notifying its clients of such a dramatic step as cutting them off from their world by snipping the umbilical cord of thie email service. I mean, here we are talking about an apparently un/under-used email account and they use EMAIL to announce their decision to cut off your email!! Dumb just got dumber!! Anyway, it's done and their incompetance cannot be reversed. So, now the cord is cut I've taken advantage of the freedom and have permanently left the BT home. I have now registered with GMail. They anyway provide a lot more of the services that I find useful. So, Goodbye, BT, and thanks for all the screw-ups!

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
smokeybradshaw
Beginner
Message 2 of 11

Re: Goodbye BT Mail, Hello Google - You deleted my account one too many times

I, like you, was a BT customer for over 20 years. I have used BT email for over 10 years. 3 months ago I decided to change my internet provider to sky. I was sent a final closing bill, and was informed on the phone that i would lose all BT services.

That was the last corresepondance I received (BT have since told me that they sent an email dated 21st July 16 (which I didnt receive)

Then on wednesday morning I went to check my mail as usual, but nothing. I called BT and was informed I would need to pay for the service. Fine, I accept this. But the poor girl couldn't set it up for me, she apologised and passed to the premium mail call centre, where i was told my account had been deleted. Permanently. Over 10 years of emais, all my contacts, addresses, email addresses, Photographs, passwords hidden within emails, and lots of other important documents such as insurance paperwork, driving paperwork, quotations for work. EVERYTHING, gone.

I received no reminders to join premium mail. The 60 day period elapsed, and they hit delete. 

Why not stop access to peoples accounts, then give them a period in which to pay (7 days for example), then hit delete.

I am devastated, and absolutely disgusted with BT. I will never, purchase a service or product from them again.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 11

(a)  Why on earth would you expect a company to provide a service that you were not paying for?

(b) Why on earth trust that (any) company with your important documentation rather than keep it on your PC with a backup?

0 Ratings
smokeybradshaw
Beginner
Message 4 of 11

(a) An email service like hotmail or googlemail for example? As it happened, I have paid for the BT email service over the years (as i switched between sky and bt for my internet and tv). And on each occasion i was contacted for my bank details.

not on this occasion.

(b) Of course I have much of my documention backed up, but not all. And not my email contacts. 

I assume you think this is acceptable customer practice/service given your response.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 11

@smokeybradshaw wrote:

(a) An email service like hotmail or googlemail for example? 

Different business model, not an ISP service.

I assume you think this is acceptable customer practice/service given your response.

No, just pointing out the facts.

0 Ratings
smokeybradshaw
Beginner
Message 6 of 11

An ISP? The thread was about email account deletion, not Internet service.

I cannot believe they would delete a whole account with no way of getting it back, or getting the information back.

If the police requested my email account to investigate a case, would it somehow magically reappear?

I wish I was as organised as you. I wish I had printed every email I'd wanted to keep, every email conversation, every contact I have made over the last 10 years. I wish I hadn't trusted a company like BT to look after my details.

It wont happen again.

Lets hope people read this and back up their important info and not trust BT.

I was hoping someone could help with constructive advice for both myself, the OP and more than likely other people in the same situation. 

Worst of all, was the incredibly unhelpful customer service received after this had happened.

0 Ratings
disgusted91
Beginner
Message 7 of 11

Not quite sure who [licquorice] is but clearly he/she/they haven't grasped the issues. So, let's try again (1) A (very) long term customer is perhaps reasonable to hope (granted not "expect") that their fidelity will count when threatening to terminate an account; (2) an email account is very often a lifeline. To cut a lifeline with minimal warning is at best thoughtless/agressive at worst uncaring/ignorant; (3) BT are demonstrating minimal understanding of the importance of customer service to retaining customers; (4) To totally "dump" all data from a "deleted" account so quickly (within less than two weeks) thereby making such a significant action irreversible is thoughtless of the consequences (Recommendation to criminals: Take out a BT account for a short time to document a future crime then abandon it - BT will kindly remove all traces in a matter of weeks and you will be safe); (5) How many 91 year-olds do you know who are capable enough to make backups (and in any case BT doesn't provide any guidance on protecting personal data)?; (6) the over-arching issue here is CUSTOMER SERVICE not loss of personal data (although that is the worst aspect). Customer service has (or shold have) absolutely nothing to do with whether or nor a service from a big service provider is free or not. Yahoo and Google provide excellent free email (and other) services that have improved over time, not got worse (well, maybe Yahoo has slipped a bit!)! And they don't have such an aggressive deletion policy as BT. Actually they prefer to KEEP accounts as part of their proof of how big they are!! Anyway, no use crying over spilt milk/lost personal information. BT lose, Google win.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 11

@disgusted91 I'm just another BT customer like you and probably closer to your age than you may think. My response was in reply to smokeybradshaw, who is no longer a BT customer yet expects to recieve a free service, not to your initial post. However, I stand by my statement of not trusting a third party with important information. I doubt you would hand over the deeds of your house to a total stanger for safekeeping. Please don't overplay the age card, age is just a number, I have learned a number of tips and tricks about smartphones from octagenarians!! It is unfortunate that your thread was hi-jacked and no further posts were made by yourself until now. It is possible that a mod will be able to help with recovering your mail and contacts.

0 Ratings
disgusted91
Beginner
Message 9 of 11

Sadly three call backs in 24 hours about the same formal complaint about this issue all failed to identify "after discussion with second level experts" any solution. Gone is gone. Or maybe "gone" = "can't be bothered". No matter, me too, I am gone. [And, yes, in my 70s I taught my old-foggey friends how to SMS, and in my late 80s I have managed the basics of WhatsApp!]. One last detail. When I got the call-backs I was asked to state verbally that the issue could be closed. When I said it hadn't been resolved I was advised by one "advisor" that if I didn't give verbal permission to close the issue that they would be obliged by their interanl protocols to continue to call me back until "a solution was found" (which clearly it couldn't) or until I accepted that it was closed (I guess they were recording it so wanted my voice confirmation to fall back on in the future in case of any other complainet form me). Tell me, is that appropriate talk? Isn't that akin to a threat? Whatever, BT will be providing me with a line and broadband (but that is not too clever these days) but no other services. So, adieu BT, Google is my friend even if you aren't.

0 Ratings
PaddyB
Message 10 of 11

Hi @disgusted91,

I can understand your frustration and I'm sorry if you have lost access to your BT Email address. If the reason for the email being deleted was because it hadn't been accessed in 60 days, then I might not be able to retrieve it. 

If you send me in your details, I'll take a look and see if there is any way to retrieve your data.

Please can you send me in your details using the "Contact The Mods" link found in my profile?

Thanks

PaddyB