cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Zammo06
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Google Chrome

Can some one please help with this issue that is sending me crazy?

Infinity installed 12 days ago and all was well initially. I had Chrome as my default browser and was achieving download speeds exceeding 37mb then, after leaving the desktop pc running one evening, we attempted to access home page via Chrome only to receive the following message "Error 105 (net::ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED): Unable to resolve the server's DNS address." Chrome wouldn't start up. IE8 still works but very slowly. Other laptop / TV etc are all happily connected and running close to performance levels expected. PC runs on XP.

To date I have tried:

Rebooting the modem and router,

Using BT Desktop help

Unistalling Chrome and reinstalled,

Checking the computer settings to automatically detect settings etc

Uninstalled and reinstalled my Netgear USB adaptor

Run a dns flush via MS DOS - (this failed to execute)

Connected router via Ethernet cable directly to the PC

Nothing works. Any help gratefully received, you may have gathered I am a computer novice!

Thanks

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
spooksman
Contributor
Message 2 of 9

Re: Google Chrome

There isn't much to go on there - what page are you trying to access, as that is a DNS error meaning that Chrome couldn't find an ip address for the page you wanted to visit - do other pages (like the BBC) work at all?

G

0 Ratings
PC
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 9

I'm on Infinity and using Google's Chrome... my Version of Chrome scroll down HERE.

Just clutching at straws here but I would un install the BT Desktop help as a fault finding step.

It's not needed and some people do recommend not installing it as it can cause probs.

For me it kept on saying "not connected do you want to fix" and then I clicked on the picture of the HH I was using and away it went and connected. I did not have Desktop Help on any of my 4 other machines and had no problems on them, so I uninstalled it on the problem PC and never had a connection problem since.

I know it's not the same sort of problem but as I mentioned.... clutching at straws.

I assume your on a wired connection.... If not try that to totally eliminate any wireless issues... how they could be worse on Chrome I haven't a clue... but another thing to eliminate.

EDIT you clearly stated you are wired... sorry missed that first time round.

Please let us know how you get on.... and as I use Chrome all the time I can try things for you.

Good luck

--------------------------------------------//--------------------------------------------
Please Click On any Text in Blue as that automatically links to information.

PC (NDEGR)

0 Ratings
Zammo06
Beginner
Message 4 of 9

Hi,

Google chrome opens up but then gives me an error message. It doesn't open the Google home page, nor does it allow any addresses I type in the browser so no other pages work. IE and Outlook do both work. I have tried all the options the Google error message suggests ie "under the bonnet". On my PC IE is dramatically slower than Chrome so the speed benefits of Infinity are entirely lost.

I do appreciate your help and thanks

0 Ratings
spooksman
Contributor
Message 5 of 9

Hi

If other applications (like IE) can see the web and resolve names (get to websites) that would infer that basic connectivity is working OK - that would in turn point to it being an issue with Chrome (although IE being slow is a curve ball!).

The only things I can think of are related to the firewall or some kind of broswer hijak/toolbar/virus issue.

1. Have you tried diabling DNS prefetching? Go to wrench menu >options >under the hood and deselect 'use DNS prefetching.

2. You might also want to check that Chrom is as permitted program in your firewall.

3. The only other thing I'd try would be to use a different DNS server to see if that fixes things - try Google's (8.8.8.8) - you can try it just for that one PC in the network settings of the adaptor (uncheck automatic and enter that address).

4. Lastly, I assume you have run an anti-virus check like SpyBot or something - it might help...

Good luck

G

0 Ratings
Zammo06
Beginner
Message 6 of 9

Given up and installed Firefox witn no problems at all.

Thanks for the help and advice anyhow.

0 Ratings
PC
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 9

That is strange, the other thing I was going to suggest was to turn the HH3 off and on.

I'm still itchin to get to the bottom of the prob... wonder what the difference technically between Chrome and FF?

Memory usage???

However as you're happy with the work around I'm pleased... Smiley Happy

--------------------------------------------//--------------------------------------------

PC (NDEGR)

0 Ratings
jjgraphics
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 9

Hearing about lots of odd issues like this with Chrome on both PC and Mac . . . and not only on BT connections.

Latest was my daughter yesterday who could not access the John Lewis web site with Chrome via Virgin for the last few days. Tried it on my Infinity connection: same result. Even putting the IP address in did not solve the problem.

Installed FireFox . . . problem gone!

Chrome gone!

0 Ratings
PC
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 9

@jjgraphics wrote:

Hearing about lots of odd issues like this with Chrome on both PC and Mac . . . and not only on BT connections.

Latest was my daughter yesterday who could not access the John Lewis web site with Chrome via Virgin for the last few days. Tried it on my Infinity connection: same result. Even putting the IP address in did not solve the problem.

Installed FireFox . . . problem gone!

Chrome gone!

And..... from THIS POST

@problem booking MOT @ Kwick-Fit

If anyone has been experiencing problems booking Mot/Service on the Kwick-Fit website.

It lets you select a free date and gives you the price then when you press the book now it comes back with the error.-

Unable to book please try later.

I phoned their help desk and it is a known problem.....

I was using Google Chrome which apparently their website doesn't work with at the moment

Internet Explorer 9 worked perfectly.

Just a Quick-Fix :smileyhappy:

PC (NDEGR)

0 Ratings