cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Baboonboy
Beginner
Message 1 of 15

Google and Infinity and Samsung devices - Relatively new customer

I realise this has been discussed before but I can't actually find a solution, despite the posts saying the issue has been resolved.

I cannot search Google, Google maps or access GMail via Samsung mobile devices (tablet or phone) and wifi. I've been on to customer services (chat and telephone) on numerous occasions and finally was told that it was a problem with Google.  I never had a problem with my previous service provider so I don't understand how this could be the case. Google have told me the same things that BT have told me (factory reset, etc, etc) and seem to think its a BT problem. Everything works fine on my phone via 4G so I can't see how its a problem with Google but I'll keep an open mind as its far too easy to blame BT at this point.

I've tried all the suggestions on the forum so far other than VPN or buying another modem/router.  Btw, the laptop works fine via wifi or wired and the Samsung TV works fine, although I've had to wire the connection as Samsung Tvs aren't great at picking up faster braodband speeds.  Apparently.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks BB

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Liam_
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 15

Re: Google and Infinity and Samsung devices - Relatively new customer

If laptop is working fine both wired and wireless then we can probably assume your connection is working fine.  No problems here with wireless PCs, laptops, tablets or phones.  Google maps work fine on phones and tablets, email looks fine as well, can reach the Gmail site and the BT webmail.

If the 4G connection shows everything functioning correctly then the only thing I can see that's different in your network is the Hub.  I don't use a Hub and never have, other than the two occasions the engineer was here, first to install the line and check the ADSL years back and when Infinity was installed.  Soon as they left the Hub was removed and my own kit put in place.  So you might want to try a third party VDSL modem/router, TP-Link have some quite reasonably priced devices.

0 Ratings
mikeyaj
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 15

same problem here 

ca not not use any google apps (or any apps) on wifi on bt home hub

can use browser on my s7 edge phone though. wifi works everywhere but not at home

same with laptop and google websites. had to turn of ipv6 on laptop to get google websites working on ethernet and wifi

bt has no solution and it started all of a sudden 4 weeks ago

0 Ratings
mikeyaj
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 15

also bought a new none bt hub

it also doesn't work.

had 2 home hub 6s and a 5. none work

Liam_
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 15

@mikeyaj

You might try using different DNS servers in your third party router.

OpenDNS Servers:

IPv4

IPv6

2620:0:ccc::2

2620:0:ccd::2

0 Ratings
Baboonboy
Beginner
Message 6 of 15

Thanks for the advice.  Really appreciate it.  It seems like a different router may be the answer but it doesn't solve the problem that we can't access Google sites through BT Hub.  Surely this is something basic for BT to sort out?

0 Ratings
jazzguy
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 15

I am not convinced the Hub is your problem. I use the Hub 6 and have no difficulty in accessing the Google sites you mention on a Samsung tablet. I wouldn't rush out and buy a new router.

Liam_
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 15

Yes, I admit it seems odd.

What happens if you use the OpenDNS servers in your devices advanced settings?  Though the Android devices seem to default to Google's DNS servers so there theoretically shouldn't be an issue.

BT aren't actually blocking sites and we're not seeing lots of people with your problem so not likely to be the Hub either or more would have the same problem.  On checking again with Samsung phones and Toshiba tablets everything works as normal, mail, Google search etc.

Devon_Dave
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 15

I have up till recently used a Samsung phone on a hub 5 with no problems accessing any websites. All ok with Google.
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
Baboonboy
Beginner
Message 10 of 15

I'll try the advice posted here and thank you everyone for responding.

I'm wondering if its worth contacting Samsung as, reading about it here, it only seems to affect Samsung products.

It's just frustrating when I didn't have a problem with my previous ISP and have no problem on anyone elses home wifi but my own (no-one has BT so I can't try it anywhere else).

0 Ratings