Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hooner
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Got Infinity today - noob question

Hi

I got 76mb Infinity 2 today and download tests show that I can get this up to about 80mb/s.

I understand that my download speeds may be limited by the server I am connecting to, so when I download Battlefield 4 DLC from Origin I get 10mb/s speed. This is fine by me as i was getting 500kb/s before.

However, and here is where I need an explanation, when i start a download from a completely different source (Steam) i don't get 10mb/s for that too, instead it evens out at 5mb/s per download.

Why id this? If I have nearly 80mb/s total, why does the download rate for one source decrease (i.e. get shared)? Why don't I get 10mb/s for each download?

Cheers

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Got Infinity today - noob question

Are you perhaps confusing the difference between a (MB) Megabyte (used for file size) and a (Mb) Megabit (used for download speeds). People often assume that a download speed of 1 Megabit per second (1 Mbps) will allow them to download a 1 Megabyte file in one second. This is not the case, a Megabit is 1/8 as big as a Megabyte, meaning that to download a 1MB file in 1 second you would need a connection of 8Mbps.

So if you have a download throughput speed of 56 Mbps then a transfer rate of 7 Megabytes per Second (MBps) is the same as saying 56 Megabits per Second (Mbps).

0 Ratings
hooner
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

hi there,

maybe...My speed test is 76Mbps, my Origin/Steam download speed is 10MBps.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

That would appear to be the problem. Mbps and MBps often get confused.

0 Ratings
Automan
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 6

0 Ratings
blinkinlight
Contributor
Message 6 of 6

About Gaming Servers

As somone who has experience with gaming servers please also remember that many - especially public community servers  restrict bandwidth on downloads/patches/mods and anything else you want from download sections.

Gaming servers are often traffic shapped themselves it doesnt matter what download speed you have - eg we only allocate about 5% of our bandwidth for public downloads - this helps protect the online gaming experience and makes sure that someone hauling 500Mb from our servers doesnt cause lag issues for online gamers.

I doubt Steam would have these issues since they have a large range of dedicated servers - but you might still find downloads are throttled depending on the server load at the time.

As Automan posted - there's a difference between bits n bytes.

But what you should be able to do on an Infinity connection is have several users doing things without someone moaning about buffering or drop outs because someone else in the house is doing something...

Alas my Infinity experience over the ast few weeks sais this might not always be the case.

0 Ratings